Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

** STICKY ** Documentary Thread

[ 51 posts ] 
** STICKY ** Documentary Thread
JustBusiness17User avatarPosts: 1484Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 amLocation: Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe, Etc etc... Gender: Male

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Documentary Thread

Hey, did anyone know that the guy from 'Supersize Me' made a documentary about Osama Bin Laden that really busts some of the American preconceptions about the Middle East?

Speaking of 'Supersize Me', here's a light hearted documentary about marijuana and a professional comedian's 30 day binge on the product.

ttyl
Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:45 pm
tangoenPosts: 108Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:58 am

If you want a documentary about antartica that not just about how cute penguins are the you should watch "Encounters at the End of the World" by Werner Herzog. also "Grizzly Man" by the same director
Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:34 am
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4282Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Catastrophe: Might not be available outside the UK. Not 100% sure.
http://www.youtube.com/show/catastrophe?s=1
Sun May 16, 2010 10:58 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1184Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

I've just watched "Who killed the electric car" and found it both interesting and sad at the same time.
For any of you who are interested in alternative energy sources I'd recommend third part of James May's "Big ideas" - "Power to the People"

I couldn't find the full vid on YT so here are couple of links about the show:

wikipedia page
BBC 2 site
imdb

ok, found something on dailymotion, the title seems to be that of the other episode but in fact, it is the one about energy

part 1
part 2
part 3
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Last edited by WarK on Sun Aug 29, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mon May 24, 2010 8:48 pm
theyounghistorian77ContributorUser avatarPosts: 726Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:43 amLocation: United Kingdom Gender: Male

Hammer and Tickle. A history of the Soviet Union through Jokes. Or about the history of humor under communism :lol:
Just an awesome and funny documentary.

"Politics is weird, and creepy, and now I know lacks even the loosest attachment to anything like reality." - Shep Smith
Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:50 pm
JustBusiness17User avatarPosts: 1484Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 amLocation: Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe, Etc etc... Gender: Male

theyounghistorian77 wrote:Hammer and Tickle. A history of the Soviet Union through Jokes. Or about the history of humor under communism :lol:
Just an awesome and funny documentary.

With a name like that, you better contribute to this thread ;)

Next time, save the effort and just post the first in the series. I don't think anybody would watch more than one clip before going to the dedicated page.
ttyl
Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:52 pm
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4282Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Not a documentary as such, but the BBC have posted a few clips of Richard Feynman being all explainy. Might not be available outside the UK.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/feynman/

Part 2 explains fuckin' magnets and how they work.
Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:05 am
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

A bunch of historical docudramas about the Roman Republic and later Empire:

Hannibal: Rome's Worst Nightmare- covers the campaigns of Hannibal Barca during the second Punic War:

Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire 1- covers Julius Caesar's Civil War:

Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire 2- covers the reighn of Nero the Mad:

Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire 3- covers the Jewish rebellion during the reign of Nero which propelled Emperor-to-be Vespasian to glory:

Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire 4- covers the career of Tiberius Cracchus, who put Rome on the path to becoming an Empire:

Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire 5- covers the christianisation of the Roman Empire by Constantine the Great:

Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire 6- Covers the dying days of the empire when it was sacked by the Visigoths:

Heroes and Villains: Spartacus- covers Spartacus' slave rebellion:
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:33 pm
SagansHeroesPosts: 201Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:47 am Gender: Tree

Needs more Space Documentaries imo :P

Wonders of the Solar System - There are 5 episodes

Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:32 am

Comedic biography of Darwin:

Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:59 pm
Pennies for ThoughtsUser avatarPosts: 237Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:47 amLocation: San Francisco Gender: Male

The True Story of Charlie Wilson (History Channel)
Tom Hanks was miscast in the movie version, but Charlie Wilson shines as himself in this documentary about the hard drinking, Casanova, one-man-army Texas Congressman, and Joanne Herring, a high-society redneck woman, whose arming of the Mujaheddin with Stinger missiles broke the back of the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan.
http://www.unclebarky.com/reviews_files/b757c44bad4f651d947eb3601446e842-311.html
Con Man
In his mid-twenties, boyish looking James Arthur Hogue conned his way into a prestigious high school where, as a track star, he was taking all the trophies until he was caught. A pathological chameleon, he later conned his way into Princeton where he was doing well until the other shoe dropped. Lovers of oddball character studies will enjoy this. Critics of this doc have come away wanting for answers, unable to consider that there may not be any.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/con_man-2006/

Do You Believe in Miracles?
This is not a religious documentary nor is it exactly a sports documentary. It is about the USA's "Miracle on Ice" win over the mighty Soviets in the 1980 Olympics, but more significantly it's about a Cold War low point when the US was gripped by what President Carter called a "crisis of confidence." Energy prices had risen through the roof, gas lines stretched for blocks, inflation was eating up incomes, and Iranian students had overrun our embassy in Tehran. Then a bunch of college kids beat the Soviet Olympic team which was amateur in name only. There's also great production in the doc itself -- interviews, editing, sound, etc. are all top notch.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0276918/

Sea Biscuit(American Experience) has been called the greatest athlete on four legs. Running during the Great Depression of the 1930s, the little horse that could did. They really don't make heroes like this anymore.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/american_experience_seabiscuit/

The Crusades
Terry Jones, the Monty Python one, not the Koran burning one, is a medieval scholar who narrates this excellent doc on the First Crusade. Jones cracking wise about Crusader in-fighting, slaughter, suffering and cannibalism is different, but his knowledge plus views from both sides of the conflict carry the story. Also excellently produced.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111931/
"It ain't what you don't know that hurts you. It's what you do know that ain't so." -- Will Rogers
Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:35 pm
PulsarUser avatarPosts: 872Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:52 pmLocation: Belgium

Land of the Tiger, a beautiful 3-part documentary that was on BBC the past few days:

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

Science doesn’t know everything … religion doesn’t know ANYTHING.
Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:57 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2950Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

If you can find it look for a BBC Panorama Episode called 'What Happened Before The Big Bang'. It's a very interesting look at the theories around, as the title suggests, what happened before the Big Bang. It doesn't present a conclusive explanation of what happened before, merely and overview of popular hypotheses. It's main conclusion is that nowadays a lot of scientists accept that there was a 'before', rather than it being an irrelevant question (there was no before), which is what the consensus was until fairly recently.

Definitely worth looking for.
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:57 pm
DepricatedZeroChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1333Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 amLocation: Cincinnati, OH Gender: Pinecone

http://www.getlamp.com

Here he (somewhat) condones torrenting the documentary, though sincerely it deserves a buy. It's amusing that he was bothered by the fact that it was ripped wrong and wanted that fixed, rather than it being ripped.

http://inventory.getlamp.com/2010/10/16 ... -at-flair/
Why does my life have to be so small
And death is forever
And does forever have a life to call its own?
Don't give me an answer cause you only know
As much as I know
Unless you've been there once
And I hardly think so

Green Day - One of My Lies
Wed Oct 27, 2010 2:34 am

Laurens wrote:If you can find it look for a BBC Panorama Episode called 'What Happened Before The Big Bang'. It's a very interesting look at the theories around, as the title suggests, what happened before the Big Bang. It doesn't present a conclusive explanation of what happened before, merely and overview of popular hypotheses. It's main conclusion is that nowadays a lot of scientists accept that there was a 'before', rather than it being an irrelevant question (there was no before), which is what the consensus was until fairly recently.

Definitely worth looking for.

This. Here's the iPlayer link for anyone in the UK that missed it.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... _Big_Bang/
Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:59 am

What happened before the Big Bang (BBC)

Part One:
Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:05 pm
RichardMNixonUser avatarPosts: 1047Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pmLocation: USA Gender: Pinecone

How has no one mentioned Cosmos yet? Is that just required watching for being a member here?

"When I come to my own beliefs, I find myself quite unable to discern any purpose in the universe, and still more unable to wish to discern one." ~ Bertrand Russell
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure." ~ Dan Quayle
Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:33 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2950Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

I'm not sure if it's turned up on youtube, but there is a series called 'The History of Christianity' from the BBC. It's one of the best things I've watched for a long time.
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:50 pm

David Attenborough's First Life:
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:30 pm

BTW this topic could do with some editing/updating, it's filled with pages of videos that are no longer available.
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Sun Feb 06, 2011 1:34 pm
PreviousNext
 [ 51 posts ] 
Return to TV, Film & Documentaries