Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 5
 [ 81 posts ] 
THERE. IS. NO. GOD.
Author Message
AdmiralPeacockUser avatarPosts: 453Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:31 pmLocation: Australia Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

lrkun wrote:What you call me or how you dismiss me doesn't matter, what matters is your act of discriminating kids with downsyndrome by equating them to the concept of failure. It is best that you learn to avoid doing so.



Wow, the more I look at your first response, the more offensive YOUR wording becomes - sure, I probably should have not changed the wording (after reviewing what I wrote) - but have you really looked at yours?

I take offense when you posted the pictures of children with down syndrome. It's not their fault that they are like that or do you enjoy looking at kids who are less fortunate than you?


It wasn't the wording you were initially offended by, but the picture of the kids - as if down's syndrome is something shameful.
"Attention all competitors, this is your ONE minute warning. I repeat ONE minute until race commencement.
Members of the public you now have ONE minute to reach minimum safe distance. "
Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:03 am
WWW
lrkunUser avatarPosts: 3831Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pmLocation: R. Gender: Tree

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

AdmiralPeacock wrote:Wow, the more I look at your first response, the more offensive YOUR wording becomes - sure, I probably should have not changed the wording (after reviewing what I wrote) - but have you really looked at yours?

Yes. Stop discriminating kids with down syndrome. Don't equate them with films of which you think failed.

It wasn't the wording you were initially offended by, but the picture of the kids - as if down's syndrome is something shameful.


It isn't, but it is what you chose to equate with doom where you criticized the film as kids with down syndrome.

---

Nice try.
Unsupport unthink.
Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:06 am
AdmiralPeacockUser avatarPosts: 453Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:31 pmLocation: Australia Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

lrkun wrote:
AdmiralPeacock wrote:Wow, the more I look at your first response, the more offensive YOUR wording becomes - sure, I probably should have not changed the wording (after reviewing what I wrote) - but have you really looked at yours?

Yes.

It wasn't the wording you were initially offended by, but the picture of the kids - as if down's syndrome is something shameful.


It isn't, but it is what you chose to equate with doom where you criticized the film as downsyndrome.

---

Nice try.



Your wording, not mine. You equated Images of Children with Down Syndrome as something shameful. Next time, if you have a problem with the wording, maybe you should address that issue.
"Attention all competitors, this is your ONE minute warning. I repeat ONE minute until race commencement.
Members of the public you now have ONE minute to reach minimum safe distance. "
Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:09 am
WWW
lrkunUser avatarPosts: 3831Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pmLocation: R. Gender: Tree

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

AdmiralPeacock wrote:Your wording, not mine. You equated Images of Children with Down Syndrome as something shameful. Next time, if you have a problem with the wording, maybe you should address that issue.


I did. And it's clear from your post of which I am adressing.

AdmiralPeacock wrote:mmhmmm and I thought "hey how could they possibly screw up Doom, it's the simplest concept ever - guys on Mars open a portal to hell, then bad-ass demons, zombies, flying skulls and skeleton cyborgs. " And what did we get? Some unnecessary bullshit out about an extra chromosome, so instead of bad-ass demons, zombies, flying skulls and skeleton cyborgs; we got this:
Image

Now they had a fairly "GOOD" story to work with, and managed to turn into a steamy pile of shit. (Ok maybe the story isn't good, but it was at least awesome in a very juvenile blowing shit up while jumping out of your skin every 2 minutes kind of way)

Fred was/is a steamy pile of shit to begin with... I shudder to think what happens next.


screw up= unnecessary bullshit out about an extra chromosome = we got this (insert picture of kids with down syndrome).

Do not equate screw up = kids with down syndrome.
(emphasis on this point)
Unsupport unthink.
Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:13 am
AdmiralPeacockUser avatarPosts: 453Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:31 pmLocation: Australia Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

lrkun wrote:
AdmiralPeacock wrote:Your wording, not mine. You equated Images of Children with Down Syndrome as something shameful. Next time, if you have a problem with the wording, maybe you should address that issue.


I did. And it's clear from your post of which I am adressing.


screw up= unnecessary bullshit out about an extra chromosome = we got this (insert picture of kids with down syndrome).

Do not equate screw up = kids with down syndrome.
(emphasis on this point)



I take offense when you posted the pictures of children with down syndrome. It's not their fault that they are like that or do you enjoy looking at kids who are less fortunate than you?


Nope - it appears you were taking offense to the pictures of children with down syndrome - how do I know? Because you said "I take offense when you posted the pictures of children with down syndrome. " - had you said "we got this: in light of your preceding inane rambling about doom and followed by a picture of children with down's syndrome is offensive" I would have been forced to concede the issue and reworded without a fuss. But you didn't do that did you? you said "I take offense when you posted the pictures of children with down syndrome."
"Attention all competitors, this is your ONE minute warning. I repeat ONE minute until race commencement.
Members of the public you now have ONE minute to reach minimum safe distance. "
Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:22 am
WWW
ImprobableJoeUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

lrkun wrote:
You ought to read what you wrote. Clearly it can be seen that you linked the kids with downsyndrome as what the movie doom is.

You should just admit that English is your third language, we'll all be impressed at how smart you are, and forgive you for completely missing the fucking point, after AdmiralPeacock clarified it. Plus, a picture of children with Down Syndrome is not offensive in itself. Do you think that kid's mom was trying to offend by taking those pictures?

Just for reference, I've got a young nephew with pretty severe autism and partial deafness. I'm particularly sensitive to people going after disabled children. I don't see it here.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:28 am
lrkunUser avatarPosts: 3831Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pmLocation: R. Gender: Tree

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

AdmiralPeacock wrote:Nope - it appears you were taking offense to the pictures of children with down syndrome - how do I know? Because you said "I take offense when you posted the pictures of children with down syndrome. " - had you said "we got this: in light of your preceding inane rambling about doom and followed by a picture of children with down's syndrome is offensive" I would have been forced to concede the issue and reworded without a fuss. But you didn't do that did you? you said "I take offense when you posted the pictures of children with down syndrome."


My main concern is your act of discrimination against those kids. Because they have down syndrome, you chose to post them as an equivalent of what the enemy is in the movie DOOM. You considered the idea of doom as having been screwed and what image did you chose? Kids with down syndrome. Yes, I am offended by your USE of the image. Yes, I am offended by your ACT. Yes, I am offended when you POSTED the image of kids with down syndrome. That is discrimination against those kids.
Unsupport unthink.
Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:29 am
AdmiralPeacockUser avatarPosts: 453Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:31 pmLocation: Australia Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

lrkun wrote:
AdmiralPeacock wrote:Nope - it appears you were taking offense to the pictures of children with down syndrome - how do I know? Because you said "I take offense when you posted the pictures of children with down syndrome. " - had you said "we got this: in light of your preceding inane rambling about doom and followed by a picture of children with down's syndrome is offensive" I would have been forced to concede the issue and reworded without a fuss. But you didn't do that did you? you said "I take offense when you posted the pictures of children with down syndrome."


My main concern is your act of discrimination against those kids. Because they have down syndrome, you chose to post them as an equivalent of what the enemy is in the movie DOOM. You considered the idea of doom as having been screwed and what image did you chose? Kids with down syndrome. Yes, I am offended by your USE of the image. Yes, I am offended by your ACT. Yes, I am offended when you POSTED the image of kids with down syndrome. That is discrimination against those kids.



I've already clarified that... yet you continue to insist that my intentions were discriminatory... is there really any point in continuing this conversation?
"Attention all competitors, this is your ONE minute warning. I repeat ONE minute until race commencement.
Members of the public you now have ONE minute to reach minimum safe distance. "
Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:31 am
WWW
lrkunUser avatarPosts: 3831Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pmLocation: R. Gender: Tree

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

ImprobableJoe wrote:You should just admit that English is your third language, we'll all be impressed at how smart you are, and forgive you for completely missing the fucking point, after AdmiralPeacock clarified it. Plus, a picture of children with Down Syndrome is not offensive in itself. Do you think that kid's mom was trying to offend by taking those pictures?

Just for reference, I've got a young nephew with pretty severe autism and partial deafness. I'm particularly sensitive to people going after disabled children. I don't see it here.


So, if I admit that english isn't my first language, it should impress you? How is that related to the issue I am raising? The point? He equated kids with down syndrome as what the movie DOOM ended up with as the enemy. If you're not offended, but I am. I find it discriminatory against those kids.

Sure, a picture by itself does not mean that those kids are being discriminated, but when you couple it with words. When you add it in a manner that it fits the conclusion, it does.

Don't jump to conclusions IJ.
Unsupport unthink.
Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:34 am
AdmiralPeacockUser avatarPosts: 453Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:31 pmLocation: Australia Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

lrkun wrote:
ImprobableJoe wrote:You should just admit that English is your third language, we'll all be impressed at how smart you are, and forgive you for completely missing the fucking point, after AdmiralPeacock clarified it. Plus, a picture of children with Down Syndrome is not offensive in itself. Do you think that kid's mom was trying to offend by taking those pictures?

Just for reference, I've got a young nephew with pretty severe autism and partial deafness. I'm particularly sensitive to people going after disabled children. I don't see it here.


So, if I admit that english isn't my first language, it should impress you? How is that related to the issue I am raising? The point? He equated kids with down syndrome as what the movie DOOM ended up with as the enemy. If you're not offended, but I am. I find it discriminatory against those kids.

Sure, a picture by itself does not mean that those kids are being discriminated, but when you couple it with words. When you add it in a manner that it fits the conclusion, it does.

Don't jump to conclusions IJ.



But you do not apply your standards to yourself. You're riding my ass about my wording yet your wording asserts that pictures of children with down syndrome is offensive... it's called hypocrisy.
"Attention all competitors, this is your ONE minute warning. I repeat ONE minute until race commencement.
Members of the public you now have ONE minute to reach minimum safe distance. "
Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:37 am
WWW
lrkunUser avatarPosts: 3831Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pmLocation: R. Gender: Tree

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

AdmiralPeacock wrote:But you do not apply your standards to yourself. You're riding my ass about my wording yet your wording asserts that pictures of children with down syndrome is offensive... it's called hypocrisy.


I'm calling your act offensive, not the picture.
---
To quote myself:

My main concern is your act of discrimination against those kids. Because they have down syndrome, you chose to post them as an equivalent of what the enemy is in the movie DOOM. You considered the idea of doom as having been screwed and what image did you chose? Kids with down syndrome. Yes, I am offended by your USE of the image. Yes, I am offended by your ACT. Yes, I am offended when you POSTED the image of kids with down syndrome. That is discrimination against those kids.
Unsupport unthink.
Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:39 am
AdmiralPeacockUser avatarPosts: 453Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:31 pmLocation: Australia Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

lrkun wrote:
AdmiralPeacock wrote:But you do not apply your standards to yourself. You're riding my ass about my wording yet your wording asserts that pictures of children with down syndrome is offensive... it's called hypocrisy.


I'm calling your act offensive, not the picture.
---
To quote myself:

My main concern is your act of discrimination against those kids. Because they have down syndrome, you chose to post them as an equivalent of what the enemy is in the movie DOOM. You considered the idea of doom as having been screwed and what image did you chose? Kids with down syndrome. Yes, I am offended by your USE of the image. Yes, I am offended by your ACT. Yes, I am offended when you POSTED the image of kids with down syndrome. That is discrimination against those kids.


To quote you:

lrkun wrote:I take offense when you posted the pictures of children with down syndrome. It's not their fault that they are like that or do you enjoy looking at kids who are less fortunate than you?


Hypocrite.
"Attention all competitors, this is your ONE minute warning. I repeat ONE minute until race commencement.
Members of the public you now have ONE minute to reach minimum safe distance. "
Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:43 am
WWW
lrkunUser avatarPosts: 3831Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pmLocation: R. Gender: Tree

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

AdmiralPeacock wrote:
lrkun wrote:I take offense when you posted the pictures of children with down syndrome. It's not their fault that they are like that or do you enjoy looking at kids who are less fortunate than you?


Hypocrite.


It's convenient isn't it? To name call others. To guide you, I highlited the important words and underlined the important facts.
Unsupport unthink.
Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:45 am
AdmiralPeacockUser avatarPosts: 453Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:31 pmLocation: Australia Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

lrkun wrote:
lrkun wrote:I take offense when you posted the pictures of children with down syndrome. It's not their fault that they are like that or do you enjoy looking at kids who are less fortunate than you?




It's convenient isn't it? To name call others. To guide you, I highlited the important words and underlined the important facts.


Asshole, Dickwad, Idiot, Fucktard - these are examples of "name calling"
Hypocrite is an accusation of behaviour.

Oh now you're just making excuses - nice try, your highlighting does nothing to change the essential message your quote expresses; obviously you took offense when I posted the picture, that is clear. Obviously it's a picture of children with down syndrome. Obviously it's not their fault that they are like that - none of this changes what your post implies. That you believe pictures of children with down syndrome are offensive.
"Attention all competitors, this is your ONE minute warning. I repeat ONE minute until race commencement.
Members of the public you now have ONE minute to reach minimum safe distance. "
Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:52 am
WWW
lrkunUser avatarPosts: 3831Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pmLocation: R. Gender: Tree

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

AdmiralPeacock wrote:One - Asshole, Dickwad, Idiot, Fucktard - these are examples of "name calling"
Two - Hypocrite is an accusation of behaviour.

Oh now you're just making excuses - nice try, your highlighting does nothing to change the essential message your quote expresses; obviously you took offense when I posted the picture, that is clear. Obviously it's a picture of children with down syndrome. Obviously it's not their fault that they are like that - none of this changes what your post implies. That you believe pictures of children with down syndrome are offensive.


I find your actions offensive for associating the two: 1. kids with down syndrome where you likened them to the enemy in doom ; and 2. equating them (kids with down syndrome likened to the enemy in doom) as the factor which screwed up the movie doom.

Where you concluded that the movie ended up that image as the enemy or likened as the enemy.

---
Unsupport unthink.
Last edited by lrkun on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:00 am
Anachronous RexLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 2008Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:07 pmLocation: Kansas City, MO Gender: Male

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

How about we just agree to not care what kun thinks and end this pointless discussion.
Our prefrontal lobes are too small. Much too small. That's a problem of the birth canal, I'm very sorry to say for those that like their birth canals... tight.
-C. Hitchens.
Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:04 am
AdmiralPeacockUser avatarPosts: 453Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:31 pmLocation: Australia Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

Anachronous Rex wrote:How about we just agree to not care what kun thinks and end this pointless discussion.



I second that motion.
"Attention all competitors, this is your ONE minute warning. I repeat ONE minute until race commencement.
Members of the public you now have ONE minute to reach minimum safe distance. "
Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:06 am
WWW
ImprobableJoeUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

lrkun wrote:So, if I admit that english isn't my first language, it should impress you?
As a matter of fact, yes. I'm fairly proficient at English, my spoken Spanish is choppy and my written Spanish is nearly nonexistent. If English is the third language you learned, I'd be super impressed.

How is that related to the issue I am raising?
It is relevant because you seem to be having trouble with basic points.

The point? He equated kids with down syndrome as what the movie DOOM ended up with as the enemy. If you're not offended, but I am. I find it discriminatory against those kids.

Sure, a picture by itself does not mean that those kids are being discriminated, but when you couple it with words. When you add it in a manner that it fits the conclusion, it does.
No, he's contrasting (NOT EQUATING) what the writers of the movie claimed was the cause of the monsters with what their claimed cause would actually produce.

For instance, if a movie says "We spliced animal DNA together, and we got a monster!", and the monster looks like this:
Image

... then I would probably post a picture of what an actual spliced DNA animal looks like:
Image

Cute, right?


Don't jump to conclusions IJ.


You should really consider taking your own advice
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:10 am
ImprobableJoeUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

Anachronous Rex wrote:How about we just agree to not care what kun thinks and end this pointless discussion.

OK, so the discussion...

Are there at least some nekkid chicks in that Fred movie?
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:11 am
lrkunUser avatarPosts: 3831Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pmLocation: R. Gender: Tree

Post Re: THERE. IS. NO. GOD.

ImprobableJoe wrote:No, he's contrasting (NOT EQUATING) what the writers of the movie claimed was the cause of the monsters with what their claimed cause would actually produce.


And what did he choose? Kids with downsyndrome.

Yes, he contrasted it with his ideal. Monsters, flying skulls, and etc. Vs chromosome etc. Where he concluded that what the movie ended up with is something akin to those kids with down syndrome.

My issue is his use of the picture and equating it, likening it to the enemy, and his conclusion that the directors screwed it up because of that.

You should really consider taking your own advice


I do.

---
Unsupport unthink.
Last edited by lrkun on Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:14 am
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 5
 [ 81 posts ] 
Return to TV, Film & Documentaries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
cron