Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Avengers Assemble!

[ 25 posts ] 
Avengers Assemble!
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4998Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Avengers Assemble!

Saw this film yesterday, and I must say...

...it was brilliant.

Most surprising moment was when Loki utters the phrase "you mewling quim!"

No wait, the most surprising moment was when I became aware that the audience knew the word quim.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:17 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Post Re: Avengers Assemble!

I'm going on Sunday. Gonna be awesome! :D
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:31 pm
ImprobableJoeLime TordUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

It doesn't open in the States for another week... DAMMIT!!!

This weekend, my wife and I are going to rewatch all of the individual character movies, starting with The Incredible Hulk and ending with Captain America.

...when Captain America throws his mighty shield!

Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Fri Apr 27, 2012 2:33 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4998Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Ha! I played that tune to my friend Mr Malaprop (who went with me yesterday). Laughter ensued.

So Joe, you've a busy weekend ahead:

Hulk (great)
The Incredible Hulk (or whatever it's called - it's pants)
Iron Man (good)
Iron Man 2 (middling)
Thor (twee but fun)
Captain America (great)

Oh, when you guys have seen it, can you note what you thought of the post-credit teaser? In spoiler tags, of course.
There was some debate between Mr Malaprop and I, and I'd like your views :D
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:14 pm

Edward Norton is Bruce Banner dammit!
Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:38 pm

ImprobableJoe wrote:Edward Norton is Bruce Banner dammit!

Just... no. :x

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:39 pm

Prolescum wrote:
ImprobableJoe wrote:Edward Norton is Bruce Banner dammit!

Just... no. :x

Oh yeah. And Tim Roth as the Abomination? Awesome!
Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:57 pm
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4277Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Incredible Hulk > Ang Lee's abortion. Norton is better than Banner, though Mark Ruffalo is brilliant in the movie.

Saw the film last night, now my life has become a series of mundane moments punctuated by being able to watch it again. It's not hyperbole when I say it is now my favourite film ever. Hiddlestone as Loki is an absolute genius. Plus, lol @ quim.
Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:29 pm
Gunboat DiplomatUser avatarPosts: 394Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:02 pm

I haven't seen the movie yet but I can recommend the animated TV series The Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. It's a quality serial that pulls in a lot of canon from the comic books...
Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:58 am
CEbbesenPosts: 224Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:46 amLocation: Seoul, South Korea. Gender: Male

I'm not going to watch it.
Nvidia, Fuck you!
- Linus Torvalds
Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:38 pm

australopithecus wrote:Incredible Hulk > Ang Lee's abortion. Norton is better than Bana, though Mark Ruffalo is brilliant in the movie.

I disagree with you, sir, but I will protect your right to be utterly, completely wrong. Ang Lee's Hulk is exactly what you get when you ask Ang Lee to make a comic book movie. Sure, the Hulk himself wasn't too great, but the analysis of Banner is spot on. I can't even remember what happens in the turd-infested-wank-bowl Edward Norton one.

Ruffalo's not too bad; I like that they kept his 'tache stubble on Hulk. Oh, also when Loki starts monologuing about his treatment (he should be king yada yada) to Hulk... Classic.

Saw the film last night, now my life has become a series of mundane moments punctuated by being able to watch it again. It's not hyperbole when I say it is now my favourite film ever. Hiddlestone as Loki is an absolute genius. Plus, lol @ quim.

Mewling quim, no less. Shockingly coarse, yet audibly and rhythmically appealing; a rare, rare treat.

So... did you stay to watch the teaser after the credits?

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:28 pm
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4277Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

No, but my friend being unaware of the concept of spoilers told me. Going again on Tuesday so I'll see it myself then.
Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:40 pm
Your Funny UncleUser avatarPosts: 556Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 11:38 amLocation: UK Gender: Male

Never was one for comic books beyond Asterix, but the lure of Whedon drew me in. This is what blockbuster movies should be: Great big action sequences that it was actually possible to follow coupled with wonderful dialogue. There are some great Whedon one-liners and great physical comedy too. That Hulk/Loki moment towards the end was comedy gold... Michael Bay should be forced to watch this movie on repeat for five years.
“I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.” - Isaac Asimov
Last edited by Your Funny Uncle on Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:44 pm

Then Bay dies, right?
Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:22 am
Your Funny UncleUser avatarPosts: 556Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 11:38 amLocation: UK Gender: Male

australopithecus wrote:Then Bay dies, right?

Only if his subsequent movie still fails to live up to this/Chris Nolan...
“I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.” - Isaac Asimov
Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:48 am

You're too soft on him.

Saw Avengers again, this time in 3D. Still very excellent.
Tue May 01, 2012 4:04 pm

Tue May 01, 2012 7:57 pm

Prolescum wrote:

Tue May 01, 2012 11:50 pm

Wed May 02, 2012 12:04 am
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Wed May 02, 2012 9:50 am
Next
 [ 25 posts ] 
Return to TV, Film & Documentaries