Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 3 of 4
 [ 76 posts ] 
Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!
Author Message
CollecemallPosts: 324Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:53 am

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

I get confused watching the tv series. Half the time I experience Deja Vu because I think something has already happened. The rest I'm wondering what's going on because it's different from the book. Admittedly I don't always read to retain and tv I watch while doing something else. They stay just close enough to use the same characters and basic plot line but the liberties they take are pretty substantial. HBO better hope the next book drops in the next year. There's very little left for them to cover without either having to make it up whole cloth or unless Martin has given them advanced plot lines.
"Every man is a creature of the age in which he lives, and few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of their time."
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ~~Voltaire
Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:24 am
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

I haven't watched the series yet because I want to read ALL the books first. Yes, that includes those not yet written.

However, friends who have read the books tell me that the 5th series has little to nothing to do with the book.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:18 am
SpecialFrogUser avatarPosts: 827Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:13 pmLocation: Great White North Gender: Tree

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Virtually everything that happens in season five happens in the books, though it sometimes happens to different characters.
"Life is nothing but an electron looking for a place to rest" -- Albert Szent-Gyrgyi
Tue Jun 16, 2015 12:29 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3164Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Inferno wrote:I haven't watched the series yet because I want to read ALL the books first. Yes, that includes those not yet written.


Do not waste your time on the books. The show is way better.

Collecemall wrote:HBO better hope the next book drops in the next year. There's very little left for them to cover without either having to make it up whole cloth or unless Martin has given them advanced plot lines.


Martin gave the creators of the show his outline of where the story is going and how it ends. Since the writers of the show are better writers then Martin, I think the show will tell the story better then Martin will in his books. Thus, there truly is no point in reading the last books Martin creates.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:41 pm
YIM WWW
SpecialFrogUser avatarPosts: 827Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:13 pmLocation: Great White North Gender: Tree

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

I can't think of a single line of Martin dialogue as bad as that one sand snake line last night. :)
"Life is nothing but an electron looking for a place to rest" -- Albert Szent-Gyrgyi
Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:09 pm
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 677Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

he_who_is_nobody wrote:Do not waste your time on the books. The show is way better.

I can give you one clear, powerfull word why the show is, and allways will be, better than the books even without having read any of the books:

Tits.

I mean Tyrion. Yeah, that's the right word.
Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:26 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1169Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Visaki wrote:
Tits.



Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:28 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3164Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

SpecialFrog wrote:I can't think of a single line of Martin dialogue as bad as that one sand snake line last night. :)


Ha!

What I mean is that Martin gets lost in the weeds when writing. He does not know what to leave in the book as part of the story and what to cut out because it just gets in the way of the story. He could still publish the weeds if he thought it would help, much like Tolkien did in separate compendiums. Basically want I am saying is that Martin has a great story, but a bad way of telling it. The show creators are able to distill the story down and tell it in a great way.

Martin needs his own C. S. Lewis and not the fan boys and girls he has helping him.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:33 pm
YIM WWW
SpecialFrogUser avatarPosts: 827Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:13 pmLocation: Great White North Gender: Tree

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

[quote="he_who_is_nobody"][What I mean is that Martin gets lost in the weeds when writing. He does not know what to leave in the book as part of the story and what to cut out because it just gets in the way of the story. He could still publish the weeds if he thought it would help, much like Tolkien did in separate compendiums. Basically want I am saying is that Martin has a great story, but a bad way of telling it. The show creators are able to distill the story down and tell it in a great way.

I have a fairly high tolerance for meandering in written fiction so long as it is enjoyable. I even like Stephenson's Baroque Cycle.

Still, I take your point and I am generally happy with the show's distillations.

Except for Dorne. I don't know what they thought they were doing there.
"Life is nothing but an electron looking for a place to rest" -- Albert Szent-Gyrgyi
Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:06 am
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2948Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

I started on the books, got to the third one and got really annoyed at the amount of times he uses the term "waddled" to describe how Tyrion walks. I'm not sure I can go on.

The TV series is pretty good though.
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:10 am
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2520Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Laurens wrote:I started on the books, got to the third one and got really annoyed at the amount of times he uses the term "waddled" to describe how Tyrion walks. I'm not sure I can go on.

The TV series is pretty good though.


I haven't read the books, and I'm not really an avid reader. I find authors to do many annoying things that turn me off reading, and I've heard GRRRR Martin does some annoying things as well...

... but THAT is what turned you off these books?

That seems... pretty minor.
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215


The horse is a ferocious predator.
Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:18 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2948Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Gnug215 wrote:
Laurens wrote:I started on the books, got to the third one and got really annoyed at the amount of times he uses the term "waddled" to describe how Tyrion walks. I'm not sure I can go on.

The TV series is pretty good though.


I haven't read the books, and I'm not really an avid reader. I find authors to do many annoying things that turn me off reading, and I've heard GRRRR Martin does some annoying things as well...

... but THAT is what turned you off these books?

That seems... pretty minor.


I think its the most obvious characteristic of his poor writing. But it is not that alone that put me off.

Don't get me wrong he is excellent at crafting plots and characters etc. But his prose is a bit shit.
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Sat Dec 19, 2015 9:30 pm
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2520Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Laurens wrote:
Gnug215 wrote:I haven't read the books, and I'm not really an avid reader. I find authors to do many annoying things that turn me off reading, and I've heard GRRRR Martin does some annoying things as well...

... but THAT is what turned you off these books?

That seems... pretty minor.


I think its the most obvious characteristic of his poor writing. But it is not that alone that put me off.

Don't get me wrong he is excellent at crafting plots and characters etc. But his prose is a bit shit.



Ah, ok. Hmm, how exactly is it shit? Clumsy sentences? Repetitious vocabulary? Not enough ice cream?
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215


The horse is a ferocious predator.
Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:27 am
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2948Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Gnug215 wrote:

Ah, ok. Hmm, how exactly is it shit? Clumsy sentences? Repetitious vocabulary? Not enough ice cream?


I just find the vocabulary quite limited. Which leads to him being repetitive. This is epitomised by the over use of "waddling" Tyrion. Some of it is alright, but several books in the repetitiveness gets more and more noticeable.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:33 am
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3164Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Holy shit! That was one of the most brutal things I have ever watched.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:13 am
YIM WWW
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1169Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

he_who_is_nobody wrote:Holy shit! That was one of the most brutal things I have ever watched.


Admittedly, there was a few deaths and a certain amount of blood.

Have a nice day.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Mon Jun 20, 2016 4:44 pm
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2520Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

WarK wrote:
he_who_is_nobody wrote:Holy shit! That was one of the most brutal things I have ever watched.


Admittedly, there was a few deaths and a certain amount of blood.

Have a nice day.


And mud. There was mud, too. And bodies. I saw many a bloody, muddy body.
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215


The horse is a ferocious predator.
Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:33 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1169Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Gnug215 wrote:
WarK wrote:Admittedly, there was a few deaths and a certain amount of blood.

Have a nice day.


And mud. There was mud, too. And bodies. I saw many a bloody, muddy body.


And some dogs. They were hungry.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:13 pm
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 2803Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Greetings,

WarK wrote:
Gnug215 wrote:And mud. There was mud, too. And bodies. I saw many a bloody, muddy body.

And some dogs. They were hungry.

And nudity. Lots of nudity.

Kindest regards,

James
Image
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:21 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3164Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

WarK wrote:And some dogs. They were hungry.


It should have been a wolf instead.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:14 am
YIM WWW
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 3 of 4
 [ 76 posts ] 
Return to TV, Film & Documentaries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests
cron