where else can you find us?

The League of Reason still has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 4
 [ 76 posts ] 
Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!
Author Message
CEbbesenPosts: 224Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:46 amLocation: Seoul, South Korea. Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

I haven't watched the show, and I don't think I am ever going to.
Nvidia, Fuck you!
- Linus Torvalds
Fri May 25, 2012 8:11 am
NothPodcasterUser avatarPosts: 335Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:25 pmLocation: the Nether-regions Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

So... countdown to season 3?

I absolutely loved the ending! But now I want more :|

Also, if you haven't yet watched it: no, it is not what you'd expect of a typical medieval fantasy setting. It's grim, sadistic and as realistic as a medieval setting can be.
And Dinklage is, as the OP stated, king ;)
Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:22 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1150Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

I couldn't wait so I got audio books and I'm ploughing through. :)

I finished 3rd book today, it's awesome.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:12 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3105Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Image
All Hail the King of the North


This thread is supposed to be about discussing the show. This happened in the show and I wanted to discuss it with anyone else who has watched it.


Edit by Gnug215: No, you're being a spoily jerk about it, as you admitted in the chat.

You could easily have used the hide function, or gone about it some other way, but no.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Last edited by Gnug215 on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Edited away assholiness.
Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:48 pm
YIM WWW
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 2723Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Greetings,

The series (of books) was described as "The War Of The Roses meets the Borgias". Given Martin's an medieval historian, who better to write such material?

I saw season 1 and thought it was excellent though with a shocking twist at the end - I hadn't read the books at the time, so...

For season 2 they've deviated from the books somewhat (character-wise)... :|

All in all, though, they've struck gold with the cast - and it's filmed in Northern Ireland.

Kindest regards,

James
Image
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:43 am
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4232Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

The second and third seasons do deviate from the books, but from what I can tell they're putting everything in chronological order (as opposed to the scattered POV method in the books), and fleshing out bits, which I greatly approve of. Theon's side specifically. Also, I get why they've replaced characters with others, and merged several into one character, and added some too. Martin is overseeing it, and I doubt anything gets in without his approval.

Right, to the spoilers and stuff....



Also, my prediction for the last book:

Arya becomes Lord of Winterfell, and Tyrion marries Daenerys, and they rule as King and Queen. Everyone else dies, except Bronn, Lord Varys and Ser Davos, who get their own sitcom.

Image
Image
Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:47 am
NothPodcasterUser avatarPosts: 335Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:25 pmLocation: the Nether-regions Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

I actually liked how they deviated from the books. A lot of the choices they made - like introducing Jojen and Meera in season 3 instead of 2 - make sense from a serie writer's perspective. Other changes were necessary, though not so fun - I wanted Vargo Hoath! :P - but I can live with those as well. The only thing I really, really wish they'd done differently is have Arya be more brutal early on. I wanted some weasel soup xD



My predictions are that Myrcella will rule the Iron Throne, Jon will die to White Walkers on the wall, Daenerys will, indeed, marry the Imp and they'll have gorgeous demon babies... with wings. Arya will come back, marry Hot Pie and settle down. Sansa will marry Tommen, who will turn out just like his big brother in the end.
Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:41 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4980Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Gnug215 made me watch this (I was hesitant), and I've appreciated that recommendation ever since. Haven't read the books, can't be arsed at this point.

My predictions are:
The Iron Throne is melted down and turned into a statue of Ned Stark. This is a result of the political awakening of the proles who institute Westeros' first foray into democracy with a deep emphasis on honourable service to the nation.

Either that or Catelyn's zombie flesh kills every nobleman, knight and squire because she accidentally the avatar of Dr'haa'hks the D'heshtoya'h.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:24 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3105Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

All I have to say is that I am glad Catelyn is dead; I never liked her. It is sad that it took Rob and his wife dying for Catelyn to die, but so be it.

Arya went back to being my favorite character after not doing much in the second season.

I also love what Daenerys is doing in the east, but I cannot wait to see what happens when she gets back to the Seven Kingdoms.

Prolescum, there is no point in reading the books, the TV show is better.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:27 pm
YIM WWW
NothPodcasterUser avatarPosts: 335Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:25 pmLocation: the Nether-regions Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

he_who_is_nobody wrote:Prolescum, there is no point in reading the books, the TV show is better.

Matter of opinion. The books are freaking awesome, often a lot clearer despite having a lot more characters you may have to remember. Not to discredit the altogether amazing series, but the books are definitely not something to scoff at imo ;)
Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:34 pm
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 2723Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Greetings,

Noth wrote:
he_who_is_nobody wrote:Prolescum, there is no point in reading the books, the TV show is better.

Matter of opinion. The books are freaking awesome, often a lot clearer despite having a lot more characters you may have to remember. Not to discredit the altogether amazing series, but the books are definitely not something to scoff at imo ;)

Agreed.

Kindest regards,

James
Image
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:39 am
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3105Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Image
"My name is Prince Oberyn Martell. You killed my sister. Prepare to die."
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:42 pm
YIM WWW
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2445Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

he_who_is_nobody wrote:
Image
"My name is Prince Oberyn Martell. You killed my sister. Prepare to die."


Lol

Yeah, a bit, but cooler, and more menacing. ;)

Great start to what looks to be a promising season. :)
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215


The horse is a ferocious predator.
Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:24 pm
Your Funny UncleUser avatarPosts: 556Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 11:38 amLocation: UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Prolescum wrote:Either that or Catelyn's zombie flesh kills every nobleman, knight and squire because she accidentally the avatar of Dr'haa'hks the D'heshtoya'h.

Heh.

he_who_is_nobody wrote:Prolescum, there is no point in reading the books, the TV show is better.


I disagree quite strongly with this, BUT the TV show is surprising its failure to be much worse.
“I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.” - Isaac Asimov
Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:55 pm
WWW
DepricatedZeroChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1319Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 amLocation: Cincinnati, OH Gender: Pinecone

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

The show really is significantly better.

In part because Martin has an interesting story, but is a shitty writer. He should have stuck to TV writing to begin with.

The food porn descriptions that take up a solid eighth of each book no longer detract from the quality of the story. Captain Exposition is forced to relinquish his grip on the history of Westeros to Dialogue Man, making the stories within the story much more entertaining and relevant. The Meereenese Knot that the story and timeline had been written into is being dodged, meaning that there aren't massive timeline disparities between chapters that are parallel in the books.

For example, Littlefinger's love for Catelyn Stark is presented as exposition in the books. In the show, the same story is told by Littlefinger in reminiscence. This makes it much more interesting, imo.

What I dislike is the changes to Arya - but they're fitting so far. She's colder in the TV show - less uncontrolled rage and more calculated murderer.
Why does my life have to be so small
And death is forever
And does forever have a life to call its own?
Don't give me an answer cause you only know
As much as I know
Unless you've been there once
And I hardly think so

Green Day - One of My Lies
Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:19 pm
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4232Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Cold, calculating badass Arya is brilliant. More of that, please.
Image
Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:56 am
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1150Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

DepricatedZero wrote:
In part because Martin has an interesting story, but is a shitty writer. He should have stuck to TV writing to begin with.



I'm half way through "A Feast for Crows" and it reads well. It doesn't feel overdrawn. Then again, I enjoyed reading "The Silmarillion"
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:08 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3105Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Image
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:23 am
YIM WWW
CollecemallPosts: 319Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:53 am

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

he_who_is_nobody wrote:
Image


I read the books a long time ago but he didn't burn his daughter in those did he? In fact didn't he fight against burning Robert's son instead? Or am I just remembering crazy stuff. Admittedly I wasn't paying real close attention when I read.
"Every man is a creature of the age in which he lives, and few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of their time."
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ~~Voltaire
Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:51 am
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1150Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Post Re: Y U NO GAME OF THRONES THREAD?!

Collecemall wrote:
I read the books a long time ago but he didn't burn his daughter in those did he? In fact didn't he fight against burning Robert's son instead? Or am I just remembering crazy stuff. Admittedly I wasn't paying real close attention when I read.


He didn't burn his daughter but he wanted to burn Robert's son but ser Davos sent him away.

Unless I'm remembering incorrectly. It's all so confusing now.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:09 pm
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 4
 [ 76 posts ] 
Return to TV, Film & Documentaries

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest