Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 4
 [ 76 posts ] 
For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.
Author Message
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4985Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

We spend lots of our time learning things, why not give back a little and share your knowledge of the great, the lost, the perlexing, the etymologically bizarre, the wondrous and irreverent words your respective forumites may not yet have heard of...

Here's a few that aren't used often enough, IMO
.

Slubberdegullion
- A dirty wretched slob.

Example: 'Prole, wake up you slubberdegullion.'


Lucubration - A laborious intellectual effort, or over elaborate writing.


Prolegomenon - a preliminary discussion of a literary work of length or complexity.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:39 am
AndiferousUser avatarPosts: 2727Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 amLocation: Laputa Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

Prolescum wrote:We spend lots of our time learning things, why not give back a little and share your knowledge of the great, the lost, the perlexing, the etymologically bizarre, the wondrous and irreverent words your respective forumites may not yet have heard of...

Here's a few that aren't used often enough, IMO
.

Slubberdegullion
- A dirty wretched slob.
Example: 'Prole, wake up you slubberdegullion.'


Prolegomenon - a preliminary discussion of a literary work of length or complexity.


I love Slubberdegullion! I'll have to make an effort to use it daily.
I really can't imagine using "Prolegomenon" in any context (unless referring to Prolescum Pokeman. ;))

The word schadenfreude ought to be known across the wide internet...
Pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.

I've also started using Bovine Feculence and many creative and colourful variations thereof on a regular basis. :D It rhymes quite nicely with Divine Feculence and even Divine Flatulence, and has a neat kind of austerity, possibly because it's reminiscent of the days of cursing god's body parts. "Gods teeth!" Yay!
"As there seemed no measure between what Watt could understand, and what he could not, so there seemed none between what he deemed certain, and what he deemed doubtful."
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Mon Mar 15, 2010 1:02 am
acheronPosts: 73Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:41 am Gender: Male

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

Anthropocene - The categorization of the current geologic time period as identifiable by the influence of humanity on the processes of Earth.
Wed Mar 24, 2010 6:38 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4985Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

Ooh, I'd forgotten about this thread. :D


Shittlecock - The true, proper, and original form of shuttlecock. From old English scytel (bolt).

Charientism - An elegantly veiled insult.

Microhenry - A unit of measurement of electrical inductance equal to one millionth of a henry (see also microlambert, a unit of brightness equal to one millionth of a lambert).

Finally, a bit of a cheat as it's a saying...

Ignotum Per Ignotius
- (the unknown by the more unknown) An explanation which is even more obscure than the thing it purports to explain.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:03 pm
GiliellUser avatarPosts: 1218Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:29 am Gender: Female

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

Andiferous wrote:The word schadenfreude ought to be known across the wide internet...
Pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others.


Neither rare nor obscure if you speak German :lol:

OK, Now, can you guess one of my favourite authors via those three words he brought to my vocabulary?

susurrus omnomatopoetic, means a whisper

gibbous , can be used for a moon that's half full

egress the way out, not a female eagle
Go to heaven, we don't want you in hell with us!
Most people don't object to discrimination and oppression as such, they only object to being at the receiving end
Sun May 09, 2010 5:19 pm
Gunboat DiplomatUser avatarPosts: 394Joined: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:02 pm

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

esurient - hungry
Sun May 09, 2010 6:27 pm
PulsarUser avatarPosts: 872Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:52 pmLocation: Belgium

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

floccinaucinihilipilification The act or habit of describing or regarding something as worthless.

I should use that in my next debate with a creationist :D
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

Science doesn’t know everything … religion doesn’t know ANYTHING.
Mon May 10, 2010 9:41 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4985Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

Pulsar wrote:floccinaucinihilipilification The act or habit of describing or regarding something as worthless.

I should use that in my next debate with a creationist :D


Win!
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Mon May 10, 2010 10:03 pm
acheronPosts: 73Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:41 am Gender: Male

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

Wierd words in the news... from Slashdot:

"Today's xkcd comic introduced an unusual word , malamanteau , by giving its supposed definition on Wikipedia. The only trouble is that the word (as well as its supposed wiki page) did not in fact exist. Naturally, much ado ensued at the supposed wiki page, which was swiftly created in response to the comic. BBC America has more on how the comic and the confusion it caused have put the Net in a tizzy. It turns out that a malamanteau is a portmanteau of portmanteau and malapropism, but also a malapropism of portmanteau. All this puts Wikipedia in the confusing position of not allowing a page for an undefined word whose meaning is defined via the Wikipedia page for that word , and now I have to lie down for a moment."


I'm going to have to use this word sometime just to throw my support behind its acceptance.
Thu May 13, 2010 9:22 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4985Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

acheron wrote:Wierd words in the news... from Slashdot:

"Today's xkcd comic introduced an unusual word , malamanteau , by giving its supposed definition on Wikipedia. The only trouble is that the word (as well as its supposed wiki page) did not in fact exist. Naturally, much ado ensued at the supposed wiki page, which was swiftly created in response to the comic. BBC America has more on how the comic and the confusion it caused have put the Net in a tizzy. It turns out that a malamanteau is a portmanteau of portmanteau and malapropism, but also a malapropism of portmanteau. All this puts Wikipedia in the confusing position of not allowing a page for an undefined word whose meaning is defined via the Wikipedia page for that word , and now I have to lie down for a moment."


I'm going to have to use this word sometime just to throw my support behind its acceptance.


Ha! It has a valid citation too...
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Thu May 13, 2010 9:28 pm
5810SingerPosts: 982Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 2:51 pm

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

Numpty: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=numpty

Not sure if it's obscure or rare enough for this thread, but it should definitely be used more often.
Fri May 14, 2010 11:01 pm
MintyUser avatarPosts: 45Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:34 am Gender: Tree

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

Numpty's common around here, or at least common enough so people know what you're talking about when you say it you don't get a funny look.
"‘School phobia’ is a dreadful label for some children's perfectly understandable response to being compelled to go to school against their will. They are not phobic, any more than a conscientious objector is a coward; they are refusing..."
Sun May 16, 2010 1:08 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4985Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

Macaronic - A poem, burlesque in nature due to the mixing of modern vernacular and Latin words, multilingual puns if you will.

Example: (link)

WHAT is this that roareth thus?
Can it be a Motor Bus?
Yes, the smell and hideous hum
Indicat Motorem Bum!
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Sun May 16, 2010 2:48 pm
acheronPosts: 73Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:41 am Gender: Male

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

agitprop: portmanteau of agitation and propaganda. Propaganda designed to create emotional agitation about a topic to increase its impact on the audience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agitprop
Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:10 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4985Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

Here's one that I was reminded of today...

Nympholepsy - Not what you think it means, but in fact a passionate longing for something unattainable, unless that's what you thought it was (in which case 3 bonus w00ts for you). A sufferer is a nympholept.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:49 pm
CaseUser avatarPosts: 1080Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

Paraprosdokian: A paraprosdokian (from Greek "παρα-", meaning "beyond" and "προσδοκία", meaning "expectation") is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part.

"I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long." - Mitch Hedberg
I am determined that my children shall be brought up in their father's religion, if they can find out what it is.
Charles Lamb (1775 - 1834)

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:11 pm
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

Not entirely sure if this fits in... but it's mildly amusing and might make you chuckle a little inside.
Moronic Acid -a carbon based compound (C30H46O3) also called 3-oxoolean-18-en-28-oic acid.

Arsole -C4H5As also referred to as arsacyclopentadiene
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:34 pm
WWW
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4985Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

Case wrote:Paraprosdokian: A paraprosdokian (from Greek "παρα-", meaning "beyond" and "προσδοκία", meaning "expectation") is a figure of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected in a way that causes the reader or listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part.

"I haven't slept for ten days, because that would be too long." - Mitch Hedberg


Ha! Check my sig :D
You should also check out Milton Jones if you're a fan of wordplay.

nasher168 wrote:Not entirely sure if this fits in... but it's mildly amusing and might make you chuckle a little inside.
Moronic Acid -a carbon based compound (C30H46O3) also called 3-oxoolean-18-en-28-oic acid.

Arsole -C4H5As also referred to as arsacyclopentadiene


Brilliant.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:52 pm
AndiferousUser avatarPosts: 2727Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 amLocation: Laputa Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

Prolescum wrote:Here's one that I was reminded of today...

Nympholepsy - Not what you think it means, but in fact a passionate longing for something unattainable, unless that's what you thought it was (in which case 3 bonus w00ts for you). A sufferer is a nympholept.


Alright then... oddly rare and underused: satyriasis. ;)

Then again, it sounds like a skin affliction.
"As there seemed no measure between what Watt could understand, and what he could not, so there seemed none between what he deemed certain, and what he deemed doubtful."
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:13 pm
Commander EagleUser avatarPosts: 424Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:58 pmLocation: Green Earth HQ Gender: Male

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

Puissance - power.
Argent - silver.
"Only I can beat me. And I never do."
- Commander Eagle
Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:08 pm
WWW
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 4
 [ 76 posts ] 
Return to Literature

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest