Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

[ 76 posts ] 
For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.
elderorbPosts: 19Joined: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:07 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: For the sharing of obscure and rarely used words.

nasher168 wrote:Not entirely sure if this fits in... but it's mildly amusing and might make you chuckle a little inside.
Moronic Acid -a carbon based compound (C30H46O3) also called 3-oxoolean-18-en-28-oic acid.

Arsole -C4H5As also referred to as arsacyclopentadiene

Moronic acid is awesome, but I am sad because I can't find any Dutch sources using it, making me unable to use it often...

And for more fun witch chemicals:

Megaphone: a ketone derived from the root of Aniba megaphylla.

Traumatic acid: a substance occurring in plants, with a role in healing damaged tissue.
Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:04 am
Anachronous RexLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 2008Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:07 pmLocation: Kansas City, MO Gender: Male

Odious - deserving or causing hatred; hateful; detestable.

Jejune -without interest or significance; dull; insipid; juvenile; immature; childish.

Vapid - without liveliness or spirit; dull or tedious.

Odious, jejune, and vapid - Worldquest.
Our prefrontal lobes are too small. Much too small. That's a problem of the birth canal, I'm very sorry to say for those that like their birth canals... tight.
-C. Hitchens.
Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:27 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5002Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Muliebrity: The female equivalent of virility, the quality of being womanly.

Mussitation
: Murmuring, grumbling in a low voice without articulating words. The sort of sound young teenagers make.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:16 am
LallapalalableUser avatarPosts: 1205Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pmLocation: That place between childhood and adulthood Gender: Male

Loquacious-talking or tending to talk much or frequently.
Concertation-cooperation, as among opposing factions, aimed at effecting a unified proposal or concerted action.
Cahoots-questionable collaboration, secret partnership (okay, maybe not that rare, but c'mon, it deserves more than it gets)
"I'm not stupid, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." Watterson
Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:44 pm
PatrickTheScienceGuyUser avatarPosts: 150Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:26 pmLocation: My House Gender: Pinecone

5810Singer wrote:Numpty: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=numpty

Not sure if it's obscure or rare enough for this thread, but it should definitely be used more often.

we use it all the time here. (East yorkshire)
When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion. - Abraham Lincoln
Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:40 pm
ICQ WWW
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Croggy
-The act of riding a bicycle standing up whilst another sits on the seat behind you holding on for dear life.
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:10 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5002Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

I cannot believe it's been nearly a year since I posted on this thread...

Palimpsest - a manuscript whose original text has been treated to enable superimposition of a second layer (of writing).

When someone asks you to read their Battlestar Galactica fan fiction, you can say "I think I can see the the basis for a great palimpsest here".
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:40 pm
MemeticemeticLeague LegendPosts: 659Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:33 amLocation: location, location. Gender: Male

A few words I use regularly in speech because I would hate to see them lost to antiquity:

lugubrious: Depressive or mournful, especially for an extended period or exaggerated for effect.

pulchritudinous: Physically appealing or beautiful

callipygian: Possessing shapely or appealing buttocks.
"Do not offer sympathy to the mentally ill. Tell them firmly: I am not paid to listen to this drivel. You are a terminal fool."

~William S. Burroughs
Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:19 am
LallapalalableUser avatarPosts: 1205Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pmLocation: That place between childhood and adulthood Gender: Male

Please-Used to make a polite request.
Epic-Trivially impressive; usually associated with accidents and failure.

:lol: but srsly,

Frottage-A method of making a design by placing a piece of paper on top of an object and then rubbing over it, as with a pencil or charcoal.

Kakistocracy-A nation governed by the worst possible citizens (opposed to aristocrocy, which is governed by the best possible citizens).

Aegrotat-A medical certificate that a student is too ill to complete the course's required materials.
"I'm not stupid, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." Watterson
Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:18 am

Lallapalalable wrote:Frottage-A method of making a design by placing a piece of paper on top of an object and then rubbing over it, as with a pencil or charcoal.

That's not the only meaning for frottage...

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:22 am
Duvelthehobbit666User avatarPosts: 1136Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pmLocation: On a pale blue dot Gender: Male

Lallapalalable wrote:Please-Used to make a polite request.

What is this word? Never heard of it. You must have made it up.

"Beer, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems" Homer Simpson

I have a blog now
Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:09 am
PulsarUser avatarPosts: 872Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:52 pmLocation: Belgium

Duvelthehobbit666 wrote:
Lallapalalable wrote:Please-Used to make a polite request.

What is this word? Never heard of it. You must have made it up.

I use it sometimes. For example: a woman should please a man 8-)
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

Science doesn’t know everything … religion doesn’t know ANYTHING.
Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:34 pm
RichardMNixonUser avatarPosts: 1047Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pmLocation: USA Gender: Pinecone

Just saw this today on facebook, seems mildly appropriate here: http://matadornetwork.com/abroad/20-awe ... the-world/

Prozvonit may be unique as a word, but is more common among my European officemates than I'd care for.
"When I come to my own beliefs, I find myself quite unable to discern any purpose in the universe, and still more unable to wish to discern one." ~ Bertrand Russell
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure." ~ Dan Quayle
Mon Jun 27, 2011 6:25 pm

Prolescum wrote:That's not the only meaning for frottage...

Yeah...yeah.

YEAH! :P
Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:45 am
YfelsungUser avatarPosts: 514Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:26 amLocation: Canada Gender: Male

Ubiquitous - Existing everywhere, especially at the same time. Synonymous with Omnipresent. Personally used often when dealing with a particularly annoying person whom I refer to as "A ubiquitous fuck" so as to imply that the level of his fuckery is all encompassing and omnipresent.

Homunculus - Latin for "little man". Often personally used to describe someone as petty or insignificant.
Nihilism: turning "fuck it" into a philosophy since 1818.
Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:52 pm

Yfelsung wrote:Ubiquitous - Existing everywhere, especially at the same time. Synonymous with Omnipresent. Personally used often when dealing with a particularly annoying person whom I refer to as "A ubiquitous fuck" so as to imply that the level of his fuckery is all encompassing and omnipresent.

Neither rare nor obscure. Ubiquitous, you might say.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:11 pm
YfelsungUser avatarPosts: 514Joined: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:26 amLocation: Canada Gender: Male

Prolescum wrote:
Yfelsung wrote:Ubiquitous - Existing everywhere, especially at the same time. Synonymous with Omnipresent. Personally used often when dealing with a particularly annoying person whom I refer to as "A ubiquitous fuck" so as to imply that the level of his fuckery is all encompassing and omnipresent.

Neither rare nor obscure. Ubiquitous, you might say.

I'm the only person I've ever seen use the word, personally.
Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:14 pm

Yfelsung wrote:I'm the only person I've ever seen use the word, personally.

I do not believe you.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:56 pm

Prolescum wrote:
Yfelsung wrote:I'm the only person I've ever seen use the word, personally.

I do not believe you.

Okay, don't believe me.

I first saw the word as it was a song on an Origin album, I looked up the meaning and every time I've ever used the word in speech I've had to explain what it means.

I've never met a person who knew what it meant without me explaining it first.

That would make it rare and obscure, at least in the area I live in.
Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:19 pm
WelshidiotPosts: 569Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:57 pm

Yfelsung wrote:I've never met a person who knew what it meant without me explaining it first.

That would make it rare and obscure, at least in the area I live in.
Perhaps you need to hang out with a brighter crowd.
BTW homunculus isn't that rare either.
Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:32 pm
PreviousNext
 [ 76 posts ] 
Return to Literature