Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Fiction or Literature?

[ 2 posts ] 
Fiction or Literature?
DepricatedZeroChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1319Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 amLocation: Cincinnati, OH Gender: Pinecone

Post Fiction or Literature?

http://books.google.com/books?id=k53eZ2 ... 22&f=false

This came up in chat the other night. It's the introduction by Mary Doria Russel to A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller Jr. It's an interesting introduction, and has a few interesting comments. The most beautiful, I think, is her stepbrother's definition of literature. She says, "The best answer I got was from my stepbrother, Jack Provenzale, who doesn't sell books but is a passionate reader. He said, 'Literature changes you. When you're done reading, you're a different person.'" I think, yes, this is probably the most accurate.

Literature has morals. Not that it necessarily abides by them, but it illustrates them. Canticle damns the Cold War and Theocracy (thank you Tynk!). Compared to, say, A Spell for Chameleon, which exists purely for the luls. Not that there's anything wrong with Xanth and Fiction, mind, but they're on a different playing field.

So how do you guys define literature as opposed to fiction? What makes the greats like Catch 22, a Canticle for Leibowitz, or the Satanic Verses, literature and not just fiction?
Why does my life have to be so small
And death is forever
And does forever have a life to call its own?
Don't give me an answer cause you only know
As much as I know
Unless you've been there once
And I hardly think so

Green Day - One of My Lies
Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:38 pm
FaithlessThinkerUser avatarPosts: 618Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 am Gender: Cake

Post Re: Fiction or Literature?

Strictly speaking, fiction (literary fiction) is a subset of literature.

Loosely speaking, romance, crime, science fiction etc. are not considered literature.

Wikipedia - Literature
It was my honest attempt to find a more pure form of God that made me realise that there was none.”
— Master_Ghost_Knight
Previously known as anon1986sing. You can call me FT. :)
Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:42 pm
 [ 2 posts ] 
Return to Literature