Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

The Last Book You've read

[ 119 posts ] 
The Last Book You've read
WhisperelmwoodUser avatarPosts: 127Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:38 amLocation: Chippenham, UK Gender: Female

Post Re: The Last Book You've read

Pulsar wrote:The WOT series has been on my to-read list for ages, but I've been put off by the increasing negative reviews of the later books. And now Jordan's dead, I don't know if I'll ever start reading them. I am going read Abercrombie, though. After the Malazan books... so little time, so much to do.

My brother and his fiance got me into the series, they're both up to date on the books, and they've said even with the new author (writing using Jordan's extensive notes) it's still going to be a damn good read. I don't think I'll give up on this series, like I did the George RR Martin series, I'm too invested in the characters already XD

[edit due to tiredness]
Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:50 pm
ImprobableJoeLime TordUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Pulsar wrote:The WOT series has been on my to-read list for ages, but I've been put off by the increasing negative reviews of the later books. And now Jordan's dead, I don't know if I'll ever start reading them. I am going read Abercrombie, though. After the Malazan books... so little time, so much to do.

If it were me I'd skip it. After about book 4 or 5, the whole thing seemed to spiral into a nonsensical jumble of a billion characters for me. Most glaring was the introduction of about a million characters with very similar names all crammed together in one corner of the story. Asne, Amico, Alviarin, Anaiya, Alanna, Andaya, Akarrin, Anghara, Aeldene, Adeleas, Adelorna, Ananda, Ashmanaille, Annoura, Afara, Aisha, Angla... and that's just one letter, and one type of character in the story.

And with 176,984 characters, none of them has an individual voice or any character traits whatsoever. The whole thing reads the way Charlie Brown's teacher sounds. :facepalm:
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:05 pm
PulsarUser avatarPosts: 872Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:52 pmLocation: Belgium

ImprobableJoe wrote:If it were me I'd skip it. After about book 4 or 5, the whole thing seemed to spiral into a nonsensical jumble of a billion characters for me. Most glaring was the introduction of about a million characters with very similar names all crammed together in one corner of the story. Asne, Amico, Alviarin, Anaiya, Alanna, Andaya, Akarrin, Anghara, Aeldene, Adeleas, Adelorna, Ananda, Ashmanaille, Annoura, Afara, Aisha, Angla... and that's just one letter, and one type of character in the story.

And with 176,984 characters, none of them has an individual voice or any character traits whatsoever. The whole thing reads the way Charlie Brown's teacher sounds. :facepalm:

Yes, many fantasy writers fall into that trap. They either become infatuated with the world they created or they milk it indefinitely. I love epics, as long as they're going somewhere. Less is more.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

Science doesn’t know everything … religion doesn’t know ANYTHING.
Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:35 pm
WhisperelmwoodUser avatarPosts: 127Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:38 amLocation: Chippenham, UK Gender: Female

Hrm. I think I'll stick it out for as long as I can! If I end up getting as lost with it as you're suggesting I might, I'll let y'all know :)
Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:40 pm
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

On the go atm is:
The Greatest Show on Earth - Richard Dawkins
The Story of Christianity - Justo Gonzalez
Mythology of Egypt and the Middle East - Rachel Storm

Coming up is a book on Daoism and Frankenstein!
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:12 am
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Just finished Contact. A very interesting read with a good, "realistic" plot.
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:28 pm
BoundToTellUser avatarPosts: 13Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:33 pmLocation: Georgia, US Gender: Pinecone

Re-read Howard Zinn's "A People's History of the United States."
"I am bound to tell what I am told, but not in every case to believe it." - Herodotus, 'Father of History'

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/BoundToTell
Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:01 pm
LallapalalableUser avatarPosts: 1205Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pmLocation: That place between childhood and adulthood Gender: Male

nasher168 wrote:Just finished Contact. A very interesting read with a good, "realistic" plot.

Much better than the movie by far. I am sad, because I lost that book a few years ago and reading that caused me to feel a slight pang of despair.
"I'm not stupid, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." Watterson
Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:40 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4998Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Just started reading Cerebus again yesterday. I picked up the first volume back in the nineties and had forgotten all about it. It is now a completed work (6,000 pages!) so thought I'd read the entire epic.

if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Mon Aug 16, 2010 5:09 pm
DaealisUser avatarPosts: 235Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:48 pmLocation: Tampere

Last book I've read was Anton LaVey - Satanic Bible. When read with a thought I find it quite invigorating and thought provoking(read it a few times now).

Next on the table is The Picture of Dorian Grey by Oscar Wilde. I saw the movie made of it a while back and thought the book should be better, at least if you believe the critics :)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:34 pm

I'm trying to read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo but I'm having a hard time committing.
Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:41 pm
FaithlessThinkerUser avatarPosts: 618Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 am Gender: Cake

The last book I read: "Understanding Muhammad: A Psychobiography of Allah's Prophet" by Ali Sina

It's a great read, a different take on criticism of Islam. You can get it from here:
English: E-book | paperback
Tamil: E-book | paperback
Home page: FaithFreedom.org

It was my honest attempt to find a more pure form of God that made me realise that there was none.”
— Master_Ghost_Knight
Previously known as anon1986sing. You can call me FT. :)
Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:48 am
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Lallapalalable wrote:Much better than the movie by far. I am sad, because I lost that book a few years ago and reading that caused me to feel a slight pang of despair.

http://www.amazon.com/

Simples.
A great Charity
Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:25 pm
lrkunUser avatarPosts: 3831Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pmLocation: R. Gender: Tree

Unsupport unthink.
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:03 am
FaithlessThinkerUser avatarPosts: 618Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:41 am Gender: Cake

lrkun wrote:http://www.molwick.com/en/ebooks/evolution.html - free.

Criticize it.

Are these materials good (as in scientifically valid)? I saw they have PDF's about science of love or something like that.
It was my honest attempt to find a more pure form of God that made me realise that there was none.”
— Master_Ghost_Knight
Previously known as anon1986sing. You can call me FT. :)
Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:46 pm

Criticize it.

It smells funny.
Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:48 pm
Jotto999User avatarPosts: 572Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:18 amLocation: Ontario, Canada Gender: Male

I just finished "The Brain That Changes Itself". I thought it was intriguing and absorbing.
With poor mental and physical health, happiness is like smoke that you reach for with bare hands. With great health, happiness is just pouring into your lap all the time.
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:18 pm
lrkunUser avatarPosts: 3831Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pmLocation: R. Gender: Tree

anon1986sing wrote:

Criticize it.

Are these materials good (as in scientifically valid)? I saw they have PDF's about science of love or something like that.

That's why I said to criticize it.
ImprobableJoe wrote:

Criticize it.

It smells funny.

Yes, I too smell something funny. I am just complying with the thread title. The last book I read yesterday.
Unsupport unthink.
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:44 pm

The Day of the Triffids. Just finished it this afternoon.
A great Charity
Wed Aug 18, 2010 5:45 pm
Previous
 [ 119 posts ] 
Return to Literature