where else can you find us?

The League of Reason still has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

The Last Book You've read

[ 119 posts ] 
The Last Book You've read
TheFearmongerUser avatarPosts: 545Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:19 amLocation: Lenoir, NC Gender: Tree

Post Re: The Last Book You've read

Stephen King's 'salems lot. BTW, anyone know where you could find H.P.lovecraft books? He sounds like an excellent writer.
"To give pleasure to a single heart by a single kind act is better than a thousand head-bowings in prayer."
-Saddi
Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:31 pm
scalyblueUser avatarPosts: 1417Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:02 am

ImprobableJoe wrote:I just finished the latest Discworld book.

OO, discworld is win! Have you read "A song of ice and fire?"
我が力 我が身となりて
共に滅びの道を歩まん
神々の魂すらも打ち砕き
Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:00 pm
ImprobableJoeLime TordUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

scalyblue wrote:
OO, discworld is win! Have you read "A song of ice and fire?"

I've got all the books sitting here, but I haven't had a chance to start reading them. Later today, I might post a picture of the giant stack of books I have lying around waiting to be read.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:14 pm
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

scalyblue wrote:Have you read "A song of ice and fire?"
I started reading the first one (almost finished) I didn't like it at all. It just seemed to me the author didn't have a clear picture of where he was going with the story or what he was doing with the characters - I can't understand why this series is so popular.
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Mon Oct 26, 2009 12:21 am

The Gathering Storm is out today! --waits at the door for UPS--
我が力 我が身となりて
共に滅びの道を歩まん
神々の魂すらも打ち砕き
Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:36 pm
benjy85pbPosts: 24Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:39 pmLocation: Sussex, England Gender: Male

The last book I read was A Brief History of The War of the Rose's. Ok not, the most indepth book on the subject that's out there, but it's just a simple concise quide to the events, which you can follow up in more detail later if you so choose.

Right now, I'm reading A Brief History of King Henry VIII and A Brief History of Time.
I'll believe in god when he slaps me across the face!
Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:08 pm
obsidianavengerPosts: 840Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:44 am Gender: Pinecone

benjy85pb wrote:The last book I read was A Brief History of The War of the Rose's. Ok not, the most indepth book on the subject that's out there, but it's just a simple concise quide to the events, which you can follow up in more detail later if you so choose.

Right now, I'm reading A Brief History of King Henry VIII and A Brief History of Time.

LOL quite fond of brief histories aren't you?

currently reading bertrand russell why i am not a christian, midnights children by salman rushdie and desolation road by ian mcdonald.

and just finished ayn rands the virtue of selfishness.

and i just recently took myself book shopping <3
Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:59 am
benjy85pbPosts: 24Joined: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:39 pmLocation: Sussex, England Gender: Male

obsidianavenger wrote:
benjy85pb wrote:The last book I read was A Brief History of The War of the Rose's. Ok not, the most indepth book on the subject that's out there, but it's just a simple concise quide to the events, which you can follow up in more detail later if you so choose.

LOL quite fond of brief histories aren't you?

Lol Yeah I know. I'm just going through a phase with them at the moment. They're all done by the same publisher (except for Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time). I just find them to be nice concise reads of certain periods or peoples. After I've read them I can decide whether or not to follow up a certain period in more detail. But yes, I do enjoy them. :)
I'll believe in god when he slaps me across the face!
Sat Jan 02, 2010 2:13 pm

Just finished "Wizard's First Rule" as well as my fourth readthrough of "Lords of Chaos"
我が力 我が身となりて
共に滅びの道を歩まん
神々の魂すらも打ち砕き
Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:10 am
Jotto999User avatarPosts: 572Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:18 amLocation: Ontario, Canada Gender: Male

Finished reading? Cell by Stephen King. I like it. I first read it when I was about 14, it was pretty thrilling for me at that age, nowadays not as much, but I still thoroughly enjoy it.

Currently I'm reading Year Million: Science at the Far Edge of Knowledge and The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins. I've been enjoying both very much so far, I'm sure I'll finish them very satisfied and thought provoked.
With poor mental and physical health, happiness is like smoke that you reach for with bare hands. With great health, happiness is just pouring into your lap all the time.
Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:06 am
Miss TacoNinjaUser avatarPosts: 38Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:32 pmLocation: Gloucestershire, UK Gender: Cake

I finished reading Watership Down and The Shining for the second times :D Brilliant books, I was thinking of reading WD a third time but I decided to catch up on this series called The Roman Mysteries instead. I mean okay they're a bit young for me now but I've been reading them for years and the series has only just finished. I love the characters and settings.

"And I~
I know what God thinks;

God thinks you're a waste of flesh!
Ho-whoa!
God prefers an Atheist!
Ho-whoa!
..."

He says it better than I can...: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkXPyY9Wo_A
Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:09 pm
PulsarUser avatarPosts: 872Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:52 pmLocation: Belgium

I just finished 'A Short History of Nearly Everything' by Bill Bryson. One of the most entertaining pop science books I've ever read. Yes, it contains a few mistakes, but Bryson makes up for it with his hilarious anecdotes about quirky scientists and failed experiments. A must.

I now turned to sci-fi, with Neil Stephenson's 'The Diamond Age' (and loving it), and Orson Scott Card's Ender saga on the shelves. Also can't wait to read Stephen King's 'Under the Dome'. Uhh, so little time...
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

Science doesn’t know everything … religion doesn’t know ANYTHING.
Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:03 pm
OzymandyusUser avatarPosts: 986Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 8:02 pm

Just finished reading Freedom, the sequel to Daemon, by Daniel Suarez. Loved em both.

Didn't like Under the Dome very much. It was okay... I think I may have just read too much Stephen King in the last few years. Love him, but need to take a break.

Loved what Sanderson did with the Wheel of Time, Gathering Storm was even better than I had hoped.

Currently reading Dave Eggers The Wild Things and Zeithoun... On shelf is Infinity of lists, eco and probably I'll read greatest show at some point.
And in an instant all progress towards the sublime, the great and enduring in man fell away and became a monkey's trick.
Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:07 pm
completelybonkersUser avatarPosts: 18Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:39 amLocation: The Baltics

Finished "World Without End", the sequel to "Pillars of the Earth". Then after that "Rendezvous with Rama".
Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:06 pm
Phillippi2Posts: 8Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:14 pm Gender: Pinecone

I just got done reading all of the chronicles of Narnia and am about to finish reading the 'His Dark Materials' trilogy
Despite what some people say; Yes, I am a Christian.

If you make a disrespectful joke about something, how am I supposed to respect you on that subject?
Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:52 am
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

^Which did you enjoy more?
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:53 am
Phillippi2Posts: 8Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:14 pm Gender: Pinecone

Aught3 wrote:^Which did you enjoy more?

I liked the stories about the same; but I like Lewis's writing style more. I'm Borderline A.D.D. and, as such, Pullman doesn't keep my attention for as long as I would like.
Despite what some people say; Yes, I am a Christian.

If you make a disrespectful joke about something, how am I supposed to respect you on that subject?
Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:59 am
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

I just finished reading "The Road". The ending is very depressing and sad... :(
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:41 am
PatrickTheScienceGuyUser avatarPosts: 150Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:26 pmLocation: My House Gender: Pinecone

Isaac Asimov - The Naked Sun
When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion. - Abraham Lincoln
Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:23 pm
ICQ WWW
Lurking_LogicUser avatarPosts: 103Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:25 am Gender: Male

Just finished Richard Dawkins book "A Devil's Chaplain" and moved on to Terry Pratchetts "Unseen Academicals"
"What a book a devil's chaplain might write on the clumsy, wasteful, blundering, low and horribly cruel works of nature."
Charles Darwin
Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:44 am
PreviousNext
 [ 119 posts ] 
Return to Literature