where else can you find us?

The League of Reason still has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

The Last Book You've read

[ 119 posts ] 
The Last Book You've read
LallapalalableUser avatarPosts: 1205Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pmLocation: That place between childhood and adulthood Gender: Male

Post Re: The Last Book You've read

The Currents of Space, Isaac Asimov

drama/suspense/mystery/and yes, spaceships!
"I'm not stupid, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." Watterson
Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:14 pm
infectingthecryptsPosts: 7Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:11 amLocation: Midwestern America Gender: Male

I dunno what I last finished, but I'm currently readin "Che Guevara: a Revolutionary Life" (Jon Lee Anderson), A Collection of Peter Kropotkin's writings and "Capital" by Karl Marx.
Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:34 am
Lurking_LogicUser avatarPosts: 103Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:25 am Gender: Male

Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism -Michelle Goldberg
"What a book a devil's chaplain might write on the clumsy, wasteful, blundering, low and horribly cruel works of nature."
Charles Darwin
Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:34 am
masha08BannedUser avatarPosts: 2Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:33 pm

The last book I read was Chronicles of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I'm currently reading Leo Tolstoy's Resurrection.
Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:46 pm
PatrickTheScienceGuyUser avatarPosts: 150Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:26 pmLocation: My House Gender: Pinecone

currently reading star trek: the next generation: Q-Squared
When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion. - Abraham Lincoln
Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:35 am
ICQ WWW
bipolarGodUser avatarPosts: 32Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:11 am

Friendly Fascism: The New Face of Power in America by Bertram Gross
Sun Apr 11, 2010 12:51 am
Jotto999User avatarPosts: 572Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:18 amLocation: Ontario, Canada Gender: Male

The Green Mile
With poor mental and physical health, happiness is like smoke that you reach for with bare hands. With great health, happiness is just pouring into your lap all the time.
Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:24 am
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Foundation and Earth was my last one.

Currently reading Pale Blue Dot.
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:54 pm
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

The origins of virtue - Matt Ridley

T'was a fairly okay read, The Red Queen was much better.
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:07 pm
tangoenPosts: 108Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:58 am

"Nigger" by randall Kennedy very interesting insights on a very troublesome word. think i'll start something a little less edgy
going to start reading "monkey planet" by Pierre Boulle
Sat May 01, 2010 7:38 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4980Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

nasher168 wrote:Foundation and Earth was my last one.

I read this (and the others) recently. Started the Robot series again but haven't had much reading time the past few weeks. I was recently given a link to this if you're interested. :)
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Sat May 01, 2010 10:29 am
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Thanks.
Hehe. Multivac. Presumably this was written before the invention of the capacitor...
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Sat May 01, 2010 10:45 am
MintyUser avatarPosts: 45Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:34 am Gender: Tree

Last book I finished was The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.
"‘School phobia’ is a dreadful label for some children's perfectly understandable response to being compelled to go to school against their will. They are not phobic, any more than a conscientious objector is a coward; they are refusing..."
Fri May 07, 2010 7:45 am
PulsarUser avatarPosts: 872Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:52 pmLocation: Belgium

I just finished "Quantum: Einstein, Bohr and the Great Debate About the Nature of Reality", by Manjit Kumar.

It's one of the best pop-science books I've ever read, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. The book describes the history of quantum mechanics, notably the first three decades of the 20th century, and all the major characters involved - physics, biographic info and European history are intertwined into a real page-turner. It's absolutely fascinating to see how Planck, Einstein, Bohr, Rutherford, De Broglie, Born, Pauli, Dirac, Heisenberg and Schrodinger constantly inspired each other in their obsession to understand atoms and radiation.
The central part is the Great Debate between Einstein and Bohr about the Copenhagen Interpretation of QM, the relation between physics and reality, and Bell's theorem to test the completeness of the theory. I must say, this book shows Einstein's views of QM in a way I knew little of. Often, Einstein is depicted as a relic who couldn't keep up with the latest physics and never really 'got' QM. But in reality he knew damn well what he was doing (and he convinced Schrodinger, who came up with his cat thought experiment). The standard interpretation of Bohr has dominated the teaching of QM ever since, but this book asks the question whether this domination is really justified. It might be time for a new revolution in physics...
A must-read!
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

Science doesn’t know everything … religion doesn’t know ANYTHING.
Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:12 pm
MRaverzPosts: 1838Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:00 am Gender: Pinecone

Last finished Genome by Matt Ridley, currently reading Your Inner Fish after someone on LoR recommended it and 1984.

Currently paused reading a couple of Dawkin's books and On the Origin of Species.

Next up is Trick or Treatment and 50 reasons why people say they believe in god (or something similar to that title). :D

I take on far too many books at one time...
Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:18 pm
ImprobableJoeLime TordUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Just read The Passage by Justin Cronin. It is a good read.

Next up? Shit, I dunno.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:31 pm
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

MRaverz wrote:Last finished Genome by Matt Ridley, currently reading Your Inner Fish after someone on LoR recommended it and 1984.

Currently paused reading a couple of Dawkin's books and On the Origin of Species.

Next up is Trick or Treatment and 50 reasons why people say they believe in god (or something similar to that title). :D

I take on far too many books at one time...
Ha, I know what you mean. I've got a Dawkins, a Harris, and a book on mythology on the go with about half-a-dozen others paused part way through.
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:43 pm
LallapalalableUser avatarPosts: 1205Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pmLocation: That place between childhood and adulthood Gender: Male

Prolescum wrote:this

I always loved that story, and others where he relayed religious claims as simply parts of the natural world that have lost their original meaning.

Oh, and just finished Galileo's Daughter by Dava Sobel.
"I'm not stupid, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." Watterson
Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:28 pm
WhisperelmwoodUser avatarPosts: 127Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:38 amLocation: Chippenham, UK Gender: Female

I am currently reading:

'The Wheel of Time: The Eye of the World' book one of the series (which is about 12 books long so far!) by Robert Jordan. This is so far a fantastic epic along the same lines as Lord of the Rings, but without the throw-away, curly prose that can make LOTR laborious to read.

'Bad Science: by Ben Goldacre - I've read it before, but I'm reading it again XD

'The Rise of the Iron Moon' by Stephen Hunt - I picked it up in a ,£shop, and have a feeling it's a sequel, but it's reading very well anyway - Steampunk setting on an alternative Earth!

'Best Served Cold' by Joe Abercrombie - an interesting one so far, about a female mercenary betrayed, but surviving and taking her revenge, set in another take on the fantasy realm

I'm also flicking through 'GOD' by Alexander Waugh and 'God is Not Great' by Hitchens.

Like I said in another thread, I'm a prolific reader...
Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:26 pm
PulsarUser avatarPosts: 872Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:52 pmLocation: Belgium

Whisperelmwood wrote:I am currently reading:

'The Wheel of Time: The Eye of the World' book one of the series (which is about 12 books long so far!) by Robert Jordan. This is so far a fantastic epic along the same lines as Lord of the Rings, but without the throw-away, curly prose that can make LOTR laborious to read.

The WOT series has been on my to-read list for ages, but I've been put off by the increasing negative reviews of the later books. And now Jordan's dead, I don't know if I'll ever start reading them. I am going read Abercrombie, though. After the Malazan books... so little time, so much to do.
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

Science doesn’t know everything … religion doesn’t know ANYTHING.
Fri Jul 30, 2010 9:58 pm
PreviousNext
 [ 119 posts ] 
Return to Literature