Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Books to Movies

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 2
 [ 29 posts ] 
Books to Movies
Author Message
AdmiralPeacockUser avatarPosts: 453Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:31 pmLocation: Australia Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Books to Movies

Flight of Dragons
Sphere
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Blade Runner)
We Can Remember It for You Wholesale (Total Recall)
Second Variety (Screamers)
Basically most things based on Phillip K. Dick stories
"Attention all competitors, this is your ONE minute warning. I repeat ONE minute until race commencement.
Members of the public you now have ONE minute to reach minimum safe distance. "
Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:33 am
WWW
Lurking_LogicUser avatarPosts: 103Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:25 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Books to Movies

Andiferous wrote:Can you think of many you liked?

I generally enjoy the Harry Potter ones
Lord of the Rings was awesome
I prefer the Starship Troopers movie to the Original book
The BBC movies of Terry Pratchetts, Hogfather and also Color of Magic/Light Fantastic

Do comic adaptations count?
"What a book a devil's chaplain might write on the clumsy, wasteful, blundering, low and horribly cruel works of nature."
Charles Darwin
Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:38 am
MemeticemeticLeague LegendPosts: 659Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:33 amLocation: location, location. Gender: Male

Post Re: Books to Movies

Andiferous wrote:I, Claudius was fantastic as well, but I admit to not having read the Graves' novel


Get on that. As in, drop whatever else you're reading and read it asap. You won't be disappointed.

Other fantastic books to movies:

Blade Runner; based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K. Dick.
(The movie bears almost no resemblance to the book at all but is still awesome.)

A Scanner Darkly; Phillip K. Dick

The Shining; Steven King

A Clockwork Orange; Anthony Burgess

The Trial; Franz Kafka
(stars Anthony Perkins, totally worth the hassle to find it if you can. I've got in VHS. Holy crap, I'm old.)

Willie Wonka and the Choclate Factory; Roald Dahl
I prefer the Gene Wilder classic but the more recent version didn't suck either.

2001: A Space Odessy; Arthur C. Clarke
Doesn't quite count since Clarke and Kubrick worked on the novel and the movie concurrently.

I'm sure I'll think of others to post later.
"Do not offer sympathy to the mentally ill. Tell them firmly: I am not paid to listen to this drivel. You are a terminal fool."

~William S. Burroughs
Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:58 am
SpaceCDTUser avatarPosts: 131Joined: Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:28 amLocation: NSW, Australia Gender: Male

Post Re: Books to Movies

nasher168 wrote:The more recent Harry Potter films came out quite well (the first two were awful, IMO).

I hated The Golden Compass film. It didn't live up to Northern Lights at all. I'm really, really tempted to go into a long rant about it, but I'll just say it should have been an adult film and left in all the blasphemy and brutality of the book.


Yeah, well said to all of that!
Regards,
Space Cadet Pobersky

"Your commitment to failure is truly outstanding!" - Mastermind
Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:29 am
AndiferousUser avatarPosts: 2727Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 amLocation: Laputa Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Books to Movies

Memeticemetic wrote:
Andiferous wrote:I, Claudius was fantastic as well, but I admit to not having read the Graves' novel


Get on that. As in, drop whatever else you're reading and read it asap. You won't be disappointed.

Other fantastic books to movies:

Blade Runner; based on Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Phillip K. Dick.
(The movie bears almost no resemblance to the book at all but is still awesome.)

A Scanner Darkly; Phillip K. Dick

The Shining; Steven King

A Clockwork Orange; Anthony Burgess

The Trial; Franz Kafka
(stars Anthony Perkins, totally worth the hassle to find it if you can. I've got in VHS. Holy crap, I'm old.)

Willie Wonka and the Choclate Factory; Roald Dahl
I prefer the Gene Wilder classic but the more recent version didn't suck either.


I read the Wonka books as a kid in school and a few times since, and I agree, I admit I still like the earlier movie a lot better. For some reason I still remember patches of lyrics. Tunes like Oompa Loompa dooble de do, and images of little people doing the kan-kan in lederhosen will never, ever go away. The Gene Wilder version was so much better than the last one, I think. Depp tends to overact at times and this detracts from the actual plot... Too much look and little substance. Even if it's... you know, Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory... :D

I have tried to watch A Clockwork Orange a few times, but for some reason I can't get past ten minutes. I really have to look into those others.

Pillars of the Earth has been made into a miniseries recently, btw...

I think I rather prefer most sci-fi on film to on the page. And most fantasy in type to on the screen...

2001: A Space Odessy; Arthur C. Clarke
Doesn't quite count since Clarke and Kubrick worked on the novel and the movie concurrently.

I'm sure I'll think of others to post later.


Didn't know that.

That was close to half a century ago, no? :lol:

Just teasing of course, thanks!
"As there seemed no measure between what Watt could understand, and what he could not, so there seemed none between what he deemed certain, and what he deemed doubtful."
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:53 pm
AndiferousUser avatarPosts: 2727Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:00 amLocation: Laputa Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Books to Movies

nasher168 wrote:The more recent Harry Potter films came out quite well (the first two were awful, IMO).

I hated The Golden Compass film. It didn't live up to Northern Lights at all. I'm really, really tempted to go into a long rant about it, but I'll just say it should have been an adult film and left in all the blasphemy and brutality of the book.


I can't say any of the Potter films were awful, and I do have a certain respect and fascination for the evolution of writing maturity and target audience over the years, a lot like the books. No one has done anything like that before, to my knowledge, and Rowling did a great job, despite prevailing Potter snobbery. ;)

Again, I've a mixed opinion on His Dark Materials. I do not think any of those stories lend themselves to visual interpretation in any meaningful way. Doing so would be like an evil Michael Landon film without the marketing power of righteousness salvation in its favour. I'm glad they didn't do number two.
"As there seemed no measure between what Watt could understand, and what he could not, so there seemed none between what he deemed certain, and what he deemed doubtful."
~ Samuel Beckett, Watt
Mon Dec 27, 2010 2:07 pm
NelipotUser avatarPosts: 64Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:27 pm

Post Re: Books to Movies

So what makes a good book a good film on screen? Because the film delivers the same feeling you get from reading the book? I thought IT was a great story that failed miserably on screen because the kidhood couldn't be conveyed as King wrote it. I love Terry Pratchett but only the books, for the same reason. Conversely, Godfather films far and away transcend the books IMO. To Kill a Mockingbird - great book, great film; I think it boils down to the film evidencing the spirit of the book in the way a reader felt it and that's a potion very hard to brew.
Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:13 pm
CosmicJoghurtPodcasterUser avatarPosts: 808Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 pm Gender: Pinecone

Post Re: Books to Movies

Nelipot wrote:So what makes a good book a good film on screen? Because the film delivers the same feeling you get from reading the book? I thought IT was a great story that failed miserably on screen because the kidhood couldn't be conveyed as King wrote it. I love Terry Pratchett but only the books, for the same reason. Conversely, Godfather films far and away transcend the books IMO. To Kill a Mockingbird - great book, great film; I think it boils down to the film evidencing the spirit of the book in the way a reader felt it and that's a potion very hard to brew.


I completely disagree. We're talking about completely different media here. Books are written in a certain way because of the characteristics of reading. The writer addresses the story/issue in a certain way because books have their advantages and their limitations. if you're trying to get the same effect on a completely different medium, in this case, film, you can't use the same strategy that the writer used. You need to adapt. Books are felt in a different way than movies are.

That's why I think people are often disappointed by movie adaptations of books (I'm talking about people who have read the original book).

EDIT: Now that I reread your post, I'm not quite sure if we're on the same side or not.
Perception of reality results in interpretation of reality which results in a deformation of reality.
Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:49 am
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatar
Online
Posts: 2924Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Books to Movies

Someone mentioned it earlier, I thought Of Mice and Men was pretty good.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas too...
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:27 am
Previous
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 2
 [ 29 posts ] 
Return to Literature

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest