Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Whatcha reading at the moment?

[ 307 posts ] 
Whatcha reading at the moment?
ldmitrukUser avatarPosts: 218Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:47 pmLocation: Edmonton, Alberta Gender: Cake

Post Re: Whatcha reading at the moment?

SPQR: A History of Ancient Rome by Mary Beard
Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:29 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3148Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Faking History - Jason Colavito
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Mon Feb 20, 2017 2:55 am
YIM WWW
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3148Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

The Bible Unearthed: Archaeology's New Vision of Ancient Isreal and the Origin of Sacred Texts - Israel Finkelstein and Neil Asher Silberman
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:19 pm
YIM WWW
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 666Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

I snatched the first 15 book of the Horus Heresy series from Humble bundle for a bargain, so starting with Horus Rising I have my reading schedule full for a few months. If I like these there are another 26 books left, and the series is still running.
Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:54 am
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1164Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

I finished The Broken Empire trilogy yesterday. I found it a bit lacking. Characters seemed a bit flat.The main character in particular, did a lot of evil things for no purpose other than just to shock the reader. The plot seemed a bit contrived. Which was exaggerated by the fact that action jumps from "now" to "5 years ago" and back.
I liked the idea of a post-apocalyptic world.

I'm also listening to an audio book of Sharp Ends by Joe Abercrombie and I'm reading Arcanum Unbounded by Brandon Sanderson. Both are collections of short stories (based in The First Law universe and Cosmere respectively). Generally good, although, some of the stories in the latter are too short, they touch on something interesting without going into any details. From Sanderson I liked Emperor's soul and Mistborn: Secret History in particular.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:46 pm
CollecemallPosts: 320Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:53 am

I didn't realize Sanderson had a short stories collection. Will have to pick that up. I've started half a dozen series this year. Most have been fairly good but nothing world changing. After I finish some of them I'll report in if any of them turn out better than I expected.

I enjoyed The Broken Empire. But I can see why others might not. His newest book was good. Red Sister. I think it's going to be a trilogy as well. Very different stuff though. It's nowhere near as dark. I would probably recommend you skip The Red Queen's war if you weren't crazy about The Broken Empire. Same world but following Jorg's cousin Jalan. Who never wants to do the right thing (but usually does) and is a colossal fuck up most of the time. It's almost a comedy. I enjoyed it but not as much as the first series.

The Traitor Son Cycle is probably the best I've read this year. I think it finishes up later in the year. If I had to recommend something other than Malazan that I've read the past couple years it might be that.
"Every man is a creature of the age in which he lives, and few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of their time."
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ~~Voltaire
Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:21 am
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1164Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Collecemall wrote:I didn't realize Sanderson had a short stories collection. Will have to pick that up.

From what I understand most of the stories had been published before in one form or another. The one that hasn't been published is the final one in the book, The Edgedancer. It's about Lift from Stormlight Archive. Lift is a character from one of the "intermission" novellas/short stories. According to the postscript, this story sort of explains some of the things that happened between the 2nd and the 3rd book of the series.

It's a cool story. I could instantly tell the difference between Sanderson and the previous book I'd read.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Wed May 03, 2017 6:30 pm
Previous
 [ 307 posts ] 
Return to Literature