Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Whatcha reading at the moment?

[ 339 posts ] 
Whatcha reading at the moment?
devilsadvocateUser avatarPosts: 246Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:28 pm

Post Re: Whatcha reading at the moment?

Frenger,

I like the fact you are soldiering through it. It does show a truly open mind. :)
Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny.
Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:51 pm
FrengerBloggerUser avatarPosts: 831Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

devilsadvocate wrote:Frenger,

I like the fact you are soldiering through it. It does show a truly open mind. :)

I actually quite like Alister, compared to other apologists he seems quite well thought out and honest, plus this has some quite interesting history in to.

But thanks :)
Tue May 01, 2012 2:56 pm
FrengerBloggerUser avatarPosts: 831Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:50 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Endless forms most beautiful by Sean B Carroll.
Thu May 03, 2012 6:23 pm
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 812Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Dinosaur in the haystack by S. J. Gould. I'm not sure if I like it that much really, I think I'll borrow one or two of his other essay anthologies from my brother before I make up my mind about if I like his popular works or not.
Thu May 03, 2012 6:34 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2995Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

The Meaning of Hitler by Sebastian Haffner
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Tue May 08, 2012 8:36 pm
ImprobableJoeUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Still reading The Affair by Lee Child... like the 16th Jack Reacher novel. I'm all about cheesy serial fiction.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Tue May 08, 2012 9:10 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2995Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Darkness at Noon - Arthur Koestler
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Thu May 10, 2012 5:06 pm

The trial of Henry Kissenger - Christopher Hitchens
Fri May 11, 2012 10:44 am

Frenger wrote:The trial of Henry Kissenger - Christopher Hitchens

Any good?

I just finished his recent collection of essays Arguably and it was fucking brilliant.
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Fri May 11, 2012 11:06 am

Laurens wrote:
Frenger wrote:The trial of Henry Kissenger - Christopher Hitchens

Any good?

I just finished his recent collection of essays Arguably and it was fucking brilliant.

It is very good. I'm afraid being a young'un that some of the details and names were new to me and Hitchens didn't always make it clear on their relevance, but in true Hitchen's style he never pulled any punches. Throughout he was accusing nearly everyone of wilful genocide, kidnapping and murder. Defo worth a read and I'm sure if you know anything about the main players of Cambodia and Indochina it will be even better.

I have arguably on m'kindle ready to go, very excited. Any stand out essays?
Sat May 12, 2012 8:48 am

Frenger wrote:It is very good. I'm afraid being a young'un that some of the details and names were new to me and Hitchens didn't always make it clear on their relevance, but in true Hitchen's style he never pulled any punches. Throughout he was accusing nearly everyone of wilful genocide, kidnapping and murder. Defo worth a read and I'm sure if you know anything about the main players of Cambodia and Indochina it will be even better.

I have arguably on m'kindle ready to go, very excited. Any stand out essays?

'On Animal Farm' was a good one, principally because of his fondness for Orwell. Also 'Imagining Hitler' was good as it inspired some further reading (although the whole book does that). 'Wine Drinkers of the World, Unite' was good and not to serious. His standard of writing is so good that it is difficult to say which ones stand out, they all do. Even the worst ones are good by ordinary standards.

My advice would be to read it from start to finish, you'll notice a few links between the essays as you go through them, its quite cleverly put together.
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Sat May 12, 2012 9:52 am

Laurens wrote:My advice would be to read it from start to finish, you'll notice a few links between the essays as you go through them, its quite cleverly put together.

I have summer off so I shall set aside a couple of days to go from start to finish on that one!

Kissenger was great in the end (the book, not the person, he was a shit), the last few chapters were really well done, I do recommend it.

Next on my list.

Creation - E.O.Wilson
Mon May 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Reading Thomas Jefferson, Author of America - Christopher Hitchens
Tue May 15, 2012 1:21 pm

I'm on two books at the moment; The Captive Mind by Czeslaw Milosz, and Woodlands by Oliver Rackham.
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Fri May 18, 2012 9:15 am

The Analects - Confucius
Fri May 18, 2012 11:02 am

Why I am not a muslim - Ibn Warraq
Mon May 21, 2012 9:13 am
The Felonius PopePosts: 324Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:19 amLocation: Arizona

Finished reading Congo. Was not impressed. :facepalm:
Mon May 21, 2012 3:37 pm

The moral animal - Robert wright.
Tue May 22, 2012 9:29 pm

Just finished Nietzsche The antichrist

Now reading the 10 great inventions of evolution by Nick Lane
Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:30 pm
ImprobableJoeUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

Reading is bad for you. Stop it.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:32 am
PreviousNext
 [ 339 posts ] 
Return to Literature