where else can you find us?

The League of Reason still has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Odd Yet Gramatically Correct Sentances.

[ 19 posts ] 
Odd Yet Gramatically Correct Sentances.
LallapalalableUser avatarPosts: 1205Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pmLocation: That place between childhood and adulthood Gender: Male

Post Odd Yet Gramatically Correct Sentances.

Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

Uses three definitions of buffalo; the animal, the city, and the adjective meaning 'to confuse'.

Another (the second): After delivering a baby that a couple hired a surragate to carry, the doctors failed to feed the child it's breakfast. The child the parents had had had had had no breakfast.
"I'm not stupid, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." Watterson
Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:23 pm
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Post Re: Odd Yet Gramatically Correct Sentances.

Lallapalalable wrote:Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
This is not making any sense to me. I can understand Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo, but not the longer version...
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:23 am
SquawkModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2011Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:25 pm Gender: Tree

The second took me a whille, but I got there. The first seems a bit to convoluted for me.
Pope Rat: "Exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

Squawk response: "O Rly?"
Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:36 am
Thomas DoubtingUser avatarPosts: 443Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:02 pmLocation: 6th Circle of Hell Gender: Tree

My head hurts a little bit when i read that..
Anyhow, can somebody try to make a huge sentence with the word "set"?
From what i know, it's the most versatile word in the english language (if we ignore the colloquial use of the words "crap" "fuck" and "shit")
ORLY? Not buying that, try again.
Want to convert me? Give me your best shot!
Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:36 am
SquawkModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2011Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:25 pm Gender: Tree

So this pub landlord of the Fox and Hounds decides to have his pub sign repainted. He gets a sign writer along and has it nicely done up. The problem is, the Landlord doesn't like the spacing of the words. He rings the guy up and says, 'Hey mate, you've not left enough space between Fox and and and and and Hounds.'
Pope Rat: "Exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately to a truncated vision of man and of society and thus a reductive vision of a person and his destiny."

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:47 am

Holy crap, and I get this one too

James, while John had had "had", had had "had had"; "had had" had had a better effect on the teacher.

Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:56 am
LallapalalableUser avatarPosts: 1205Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pmLocation: That place between childhood and adulthood Gender: Male

Aught3 wrote:
Lallapalalable wrote:Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.
This is not making any sense to me. I can understand Buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo, but not the longer version...

A tad more expanded "The animal buffalo likes to buffalo other buffalo from Buffalo, therefore buffalo do buffalo Buffalo buffalo"

Also, the link lays out the parts of speech for the original, as I had to switch the places of a "Buffalo" and a "buffalo" to expand it.

Edit: I do notice now that I could even tack on two more 'Buffalo' and leave it valid :mrgreen:
"I'm not stupid, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." Watterson
Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:14 am
RichardMNixonUser avatarPosts: 1047Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pmLocation: USA Gender: Pinecone

My personal favorite, an argument against romanizing traditional Chinese.

In Pinyin:
Shà­shଠshÄ«shଠShÄ« Shà¬, shଠshÄ«, shଠshà­ shà­ shÄ«.
Shଠshà­shà­ shଠshଠshଠshÄ«.
Shà­ shà­, shଠshà­ shÄ« shଠshà¬.
Shଠshà­, shଠShÄ« Shଠshଠshà¬.
Shଠshଠshଠshà­ shÄ«, shଠshǐ shà¬, shǐ shଠshà­ shÄ« shà¬shà¬.
Shଠshà­ shଠshà­ shÄ« shÄ«, shଠshà­shà¬.
Shà­shଠshÄ«, Shଠshǐ shଠshଠshà­shà¬.
Shà­shଠshà¬, Shଠshǐ shଠshà­ shଠshà­ shÄ«.
Shà­ shà­, shǐ shà­ shଠshà­ shÄ«, shà­ shà­ shà­ shÄ« shÄ«.
Shଠshଠshଠshà¬.

In English:
In a stone den was a poet called Shi, who was a lion addict, and had resolved to eat ten lions.
He often went to the market to look for lions.
At ten o'clock, ten lions had just arrived at the market.
At that time, Shi had just arrived at the market.
He saw those ten lions, and using his trusty arrows, caused the ten lions to die.
He brought the corpses of the ten lions to the stone den.
The stone den was damp. He asked his servants to wipe it.
After the stone den was wiped, he tried to eat those ten lions.
When he ate, he realized that these ten lions were in fact ten stone lion corpses.
Try to explain this matter.
"When I come to my own beliefs, I find myself quite unable to discern any purpose in the universe, and still more unable to wish to discern one." ~ Bertrand Russell
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure." ~ Dan Quayle
Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:42 pm
Thomas DoubtingUser avatarPosts: 443Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:02 pmLocation: 6th Circle of Hell Gender: Tree

RichardMNixon wrote:My personal favorite, an argument against romanizing traditional Chinese.

In Pinyin:
Shà­shଠshÄ«shଠShÄ« Shà¬, shଠshÄ«, shଠshà­ shà­ shÄ«.
Shଠshà­shà­ shଠshଠshଠshÄ«.
Shà­ shà­, shଠshà­ shÄ« shଠshà¬.
Shଠshà­, shଠShÄ« Shଠshଠshà¬.
Shଠshଠshଠshà­ shÄ«, shଠshǐ shà¬, shǐ shଠshà­ shÄ« shà¬shà¬.
Shଠshà­ shଠshà­ shÄ« shÄ«, shଠshà­shà¬.
Shà­shଠshÄ«, Shଠshǐ shଠshଠshà­shà¬.
Shà­shଠshà¬, Shଠshǐ shଠshà­ shଠshà­ shÄ«.
Shà­ shà­, shǐ shà­ shଠshà­ shÄ«, shà­ shà­ shà­ shÄ« shÄ«.
Shଠshଠshଠshà¬.

In English:
In a stone den was a poet called Shi, who was a lion addict, and had resolved to eat ten lions.
He often went to the market to look for lions.
At ten o'clock, ten lions had just arrived at the market.
At that time, Shi had just arrived at the market.
He saw those ten lions, and using his trusty arrows, caused the ten lions to die.
He brought the corpses of the ten lions to the stone den.
The stone den was damp. He asked his servants to wipe it.
After the stone den was wiped, he tried to eat those ten lions.
When he ate, he realized that these ten lions were in fact ten stone lion corpses.
Try to explain this matter.

Holy shi! (t)
Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:00 pm

Well played. Thats like having a nuke at a water balloon figh.
Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:13 pm
televatorUser avatarPosts: 1252Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 amLocation: In hell, rocking out with Satan! Gender: Cake

You can say all that with the same "Shi" sound in Chinese?! WTF! :shock:
a·the·ism: The absence of belief in god(s)

There are no additional, claims, laws, commandments, rules, doctrines, presuppositions, stand alone ideologies, dogmas, and/or faith based beliefs required by or inevitably derived from atheism.
Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:19 pm

televator wrote:You can say all that with the same "Shi" sound in Chinese?! WTF! :shock:

if you listen carefully, they do not really sound exactly the same.. but why use it for 50 things if you can make other words :facepalm:
Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:24 pm

I concede defeat and vow never to learn chinese.

Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:54 pm
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Note that she changes the tone of her voice for different words. IIRC, Chinese relies a lot on subtly different changes in tone. Our language only uses tone if we want to convey our emotions or whether the phrase is a question or sarcastic etc. In Chinese, the same sort of differences can mean a totally different word. Possibly the spacing between each "shuh" sound might have an effect as well, but that's just speculation.
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:21 am
SnufkinPosts: 55Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:02 am

Five ands in a row:

The landlord of a pub called The Pig And Whistle asked a signwriter to make a new sign. When he saw it he thought that the words were too close together so he said to the signwriter "I want more space between Pig and And and And and Whistle".
Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:57 am

Nothing like reading the thread first eh snuf ;D

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:56 am
WelshidiotPosts: 569Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:57 pm

Squawk wrote:Nothing like reading the thread first eh snuf ;D
And that was nothing like reading the thread first.

Praise be to Groucho....
Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:08 am
SnufkinPosts: 55Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:02 am

Squawk wrote:Nothing like reading the thread first eh snuf ;D

doh! I missed it. I only really noticed the buffalo and the Chinese one.

Makes note: actually read stuffs.
Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:27 pm

Mr Nixon, I see your wager and raise you this:

Finnish:

Etsivät etsivät etsivät etsivät etsivät.
"The searching detectives are searching the searching detectives."

Spanish:

,¿Cà³mo como? ,¿Cà³mo cà³mo como? Como como como.
"How do I eat? What do you mean, how do I eat? I eat how I eat."

Icelandic:

ài à¡ à à¡ à¡ à­ à¡.
"A farmer named ài, who lives on a farm by the name of à,, owns a female sheep that is in a river."

Malay:

Sayang, sayang sayang sayang, sayang sayang sayang?
"Darling, I love you, dear, do you love me?"

Romanian:

Stanca sta-n castan ca Stan.
"Stanca stood in a chestnut tree like Stan."

Hungarian:

A kà¶vet kà¶vet kà¶vet.
"The envoy follows a stone."

Tagalog:

Bababa ba? Bababa!
"Going down? It is!"
Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:01 am
 [ 19 posts ] 
Return to Literature