Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Minecraft

[ 425 posts ] 
Minecraft
Avatra1Posts: 45Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:27 amLocation: Sweden Gender: Male

Post Minecraft

I thought I should give you guys / and girls a heads up for a game I've been playing for quite some time now, it's called Minecraft.

http://www.minecraft.net/

There's a free version of the game, which is pretty fun. You cannot save the projects you make in it, but it's good for testing the basics.

Now, it's not a fancy game with loads of bells and whistle, the point of game is to craft tools and then build houses (etc) while defending yourself from mobs while you explore caves or dig closer to the bottom of the map, you can go hunting for cows, pigs and a strange duck/chicken like creature.

(Four enemies so far, zombie, skeleton, annoying jumping spiders, and then creatures going around hissing at you till they go booom)

Now, the game is in alpha but the programmer usually adds new content every Friday.

There are working multiplayer servers, but the mp part is not really implemented yet, so there's no mobs, so people instead focus on building walls, houses, towns and monuments to "Notch"

One of the projects that people have been doing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWPk5zlKAEM

Single player "tutorials"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VWnQHS-ffs
Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:32 pm
MRaverzPosts: 1838Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:00 am Gender: Pinecone

Post Re: Minecraft

I've played this for a while now, it's pretty addictive.

Currently building an obsidian fort. ;)
And yes, I used Indevit to get the obsidian - but I felt I'd played long enough for it to be justified. :D

I might upload a picture when it's done, though it's big so it'll take a while. :P
Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:34 pm
MineMineMineUser avatarPosts: 130Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:39 pm Gender: Pinecone

the game is really great.
"I feel almost as powerful as an exposed nipple."
- P.Z. Myers
Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:42 pm
CkVegaPosts: 28Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:08 pm

Fri Oct 01, 2010 12:21 pm
TheFlyingBastardUser avatarPosts: 787Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:17 am Gender: Male

I've heard a bit about this.
Why should I play this instead of Gmod?
Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:02 am
NelsonUser avatarPosts: 183Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:52 pmLocation: British Columbia Gender: Male

I've also jumped on the minecraft bandwagon lately.

TheFlyingBastard wrote:I've heard a bit about this.
Why should I play this instead of Gmod?

Because you can build an enormous computer with the spoils of your underground adventures.

I have approximate answers, and possible beliefs, and different degrees of certainty about different things, but I’m not absolutely sure of anything, and there are many things I don’t know anything about. - Richard Feynman -
Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:37 am
DaealisUser avatarPosts: 235Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:48 pmLocation: Tampere

I've also gave the game a spin and it is extremely addictive. Just the single player version of survival is a ton of fun. You can't really get the appeal from the videos(at least I didn't get it) but it took just one evening of friends and minecraft to get me hooked.

I just hope I don't end up like my friend. To him, Minecraft was a gateway sandbox. First it was just some innocent building in Minecraft, but now he is doing castles in Dwarf Fortress.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:45 pm
ShaedysUser avatarPosts: 343Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:15 pm Gender: Cake

Daealis wrote:I just hope I don't end up like my friend. To him, Minecraft was a gateway sandbox. First it was just some innocent building in Minecraft, but now he is doing castles in Dwarf Fortress.

I'm sorry for your loss, he won't see daylight again.

It seems like a really awesome game, wish I had more free time, but I'll probably never get more free time.
Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:25 pm
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Parents: talk to your kids about sandbox games
before somebody else does
:)
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Tue Oct 12, 2010 9:39 pm
JosanUser avatarPosts: 426Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:56 pm

Amazed no one has linked this video yet

Yes. That is the Enterprise-D.
Yes. That is a 1:1 scale.
Yes. This video is real.
Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:45 pm
CosmicSporkLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 929Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:36 pmLocation: UK Gender: Cake

I can't stop playing this fucking game now!!!
“Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.” - Sam Ewing
Wed Oct 13, 2010 12:54 am
ShaedysUser avatarPosts: 343Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:15 pm Gender: Cake

Josan wrote:Amazed no one has linked this video yet

Yes. That is the Enterprise-D.
Yes. That is a 1:1 scale.
Yes. This video is real.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.ph ... .msg825762
You can win Dwarf Fortress
Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:48 am
CosmicSporkLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 929Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:36 pmLocation: UK Gender: Cake

Someone make a LoR Minecraft server :P I don't have anything with enough RAM to do it :/
“Nothing is as frustrating as arguing with someone who knows what he's talking about.” - Sam Ewing
Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:56 am
CkVegaPosts: 28Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:08 pm

CosmicSpork wrote:Someone make a LoR Minecraft server :P I don't have anything with enough RAM to do it :/

Might be worth waiting for the halloween update first, I think that is when multiplayer survival mode starts.
Sat Oct 16, 2010 6:35 pm

I was reading Anton LaVey again at the time when I started my first bigger project in single player. It rubbed on a bit, but I like the result nonetheless.

SHAMELESS SELF-PROMOTION TIME!
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:30 pm
FingerUser avatarPosts: 354Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:13 amLocation: California

A friend and I spent about six hours making this.

This game is too damn addictive. Also, I think it accidentally converted me to Christianity.
Artist for Red Oasis
Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:56 am

Finger wrote:This game is too damn addictive. Also, I think it accidentally converted me to Christianity.

Talking about grasping at straws..
- Albert Einstein
Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:49 pm
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Website wrote:Once Secular gamers are hooked on the innovative, open-ended, gameplay and have had many key Biblical values sowed in their minds, then they will be receptive to being approached by Minecraft missionaries in the multiplayer servers.

:lol:
That's the strangest thing I've read so far today.
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:06 pm
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2558Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

I started playing just recently.

And it's terrible.

As in, terribly addictive.

It's really brought out my inner Bob the Builder.

I'm currently working on a pit mine.

Why?

BECAUSE I CAN!!!!!! BWAAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215

The horse is a ferocious predator.
Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:07 pm
MemeticemeticLeague LegendPosts: 659Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:33 amLocation: location, location. Gender: Male

Thank you all for your testimonials to help me never, under any circumstances, try this game. I have far too much of a gaming addiction problem to let a game like this grab me by the yarbles.
"Do not offer sympathy to the mentally ill. Tell them firmly: I am not paid to listen to this drivel. You are a terminal fool."

~William S. Burroughs
Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:01 am
Next
 [ 425 posts ] 
Return to Gaming