Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Any older games you loved

[ 40 posts ] 
Any older games you loved
LallapalalableUser avatarPosts: 1205Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pmLocation: That place between childhood and adulthood Gender: Male

Post Any older games you loved

Games from any outdated systems (the company is no longer producing games for the platform, PC games that ran on previous OSs, internet flash games made over 7 months ago, board games over ten years, hell even poker, its like, really old) that you enjoyed playing, and may even play today. No other particular criteria. Famous, cult. Ascending from best to worst, descending, or random. Can say why if you want. Or dont. Just listing is ok too. Carry on.

Turok: Evolution (the cheats are fun. Otherwise the game sucks, minus flying missions)
SW Ep 1 Podracing (multiplayer)
Battletanx 2 (fun, if stupid)
Half Life (c'mon)
GTAIII/SA
SW Battlefront II
The Pokemon Saga
Shadow of the Empire
Tennis (for the Gameboy)
Wonderboy (arcade)
Ghoul School (nes?)
Super Smash Brothers
Halo (on LAN)
The Many Times Princess Zelda was Captured
The Several Times Link Said "eff this" and Did Hid Own Thing
Rayman 2 (n64 version)
Army Men: Sarges heroes
Body Harvest
Jurassic Park (some sega system)
Ninja Turtles (nes)
Epic Combo
Achievement Unlocked (plus sequels)
All those random "1000 games in one!" discs that every minor software company produces
Chip's Challenge
The Sim Cities
C&C
Advanced Wars
Pharaoh
Alpha Centauri
Homeworld
The Crystal Key
Zork
Heart of China
umm...

Shadow of the Colossus
Crazy Taxi
The Solid Gears of Metal
Goldeneye
Red Faction (the first one)
Crush the Castle + sequels (the better version of that stupid ass 'angry birds')
Ace Combat 4
Midnight Club
Gun
Desert Bus (never played and never will, but its just too awesome of a political statement)
err....

Stuntman
FFXII (removed the turn based combat and I loved it, plus the gambit system is awesome 98% of the time)
Jet Force Gemini
Resident Evils (not outbreak)
Katamari Damcy
Soul Caliber 2
Ratchet and Clank 2
Jak 3

There are more. MORE. This is just what I could summon without consulting the Treasure Chest (awesome CD case that looks like a steel crate) and Pandora's Box (the big box that holds all my cartridges).

But I shall let you fill in the blanks :D
"I'm not stupid, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." Watterson
Last edited by Lallapalalable on Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:58 am
CaseUser avatarPosts: 1080Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:40 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: Any retro games you loved

I am taken aback by what you consider retro.
I am determined that my children shall be brought up in their father's religion, if they can find out what it is.
Charles Lamb (1775 - 1834)

Atheism is a non-prophet organization.
Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:09 am
LallapalalableUser avatarPosts: 1205Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:35 pmLocation: That place between childhood and adulthood Gender: Male

Post Re: Any retro games you loved

fixed in 3...2...
"I'm not stupid, I just have a command of thoroughly useless information." Watterson
Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:19 am

Post Re: Any older games you loved

Sorry, poor choice of word :| I was going on that the past few years have shown me less and less that I am interested in as far as gaming, so I play less, and that 5+ years ago there seemed to be a better variety and level of ingenuity. Also that, what with advancement in tech being exponential and all, I assumed 'retro' could be applied to a shorter physical period than before. But like I said, poor wording in actuality.
Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:28 am
CosmicJoghurtPodcasterUser avatarPosts: 808Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 pm Gender: Pinecone

From that list all I can recall playing is Crazy Taxi. Loved that game... I am, however, too young to be familiar with any of those other ones...

One game I REALLY REALLY liked and still love, and would like to play again, is Tzar: The Burden of the Crown. Published in 2000. Just, such an exceptional game, I would say. RTS, I had loads of fun... I've been trying to DL it for some time now...

Fuck, those were good times... I really adore that game...
Perception of reality results in interpretation of reality which results in a deformation of reality.
Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:41 am
Your Funny UncleUser avatarPosts: 556Joined: Sat May 22, 2010 11:38 amLocation: UK Gender: Male

All of those games came out when I was an adult... In fact I used to sell a lot of them when I worked at a games shop in the late 90s...

Let's skip back another 10 years...

http://www.lasersquad.org/
“I don't believe in an afterlife, so I don't have to spend my whole life fearing hell, or fearing heaven even more. For whatever the tortures of hell, I think the boredom of heaven would be even worse.” - Isaac Asimov
Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:47 am
WelshidiotPosts: 569Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:57 pm

Your Funny Uncle wrote:All of those games came out when I was an adult...
Ditto.
Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:43 pm
DustniteUser avatarPosts: 518Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:11 pm Gender: Cake

Alpha Centauri
Jumpgate
Homeworld Series
Leisure Suit Larry
Chrono Cross

SNES:
Lost Vikings
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Illusion of Gaia
Chrono Trigger
"But this is irrelevant because in either case, whether a god exists or not, whether your God (with a capital G) exists or not, it doesn't matter. We both are, in either case, evolved apes. " - Nesslig20
Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:50 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5002Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

C64:
Arkanoid II
Jet Set Willy
California Games
Way of the Exploding Fist
Paperboy
720,°

Cmdr Amiga:
Speedball II
James Pond
Lemmings

NES:
Super Mario Bros
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (I forget the sub title)
Exitebike

SNES:
Every gorram Mario game
Zelda: a link to the past
Streetfighter II
Super Star Wars

Sega Master system:
Alex Kidd

Megadrive:
Streets of Rage
Golden Axe
Ghouls and Ghosts
Micro Machines
Toejam and Earl

N64:
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Wave Race 64
Ocarina of Time

Sony Playstation:
Metal Gear Solid
Tony Hawks Pro Skater
Resident Evil II
Silent Hill

I can't think of any more, but I'm sure there are plenty.

Oh, PC:
Command and conquer: Red Alert
Dune 2000
Civilization II
Emperor of Dune
Sim City 2000
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:13 pm
televatorUser avatarPosts: 1252Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 amLocation: In hell, rocking out with Satan! Gender: Cake

I have a collection from almost every well known system since the NES... Too many games to list, so I'll just put up what I think are the greatest of their era.

MY choice for the best game of the pre-3D era is Super Metroid. My choice for best game of the 3D era is Shadow of the Colossus.
a·the·ism: The absence of belief in god(s)

There are no additional, claims, laws, commandments, rules, doctrines, presuppositions, stand alone ideologies, dogmas, and/or faith based beliefs required by or inevitably derived from atheism.
Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:33 pm
MemeticemeticLeague LegendPosts: 659Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:33 amLocation: location, location. Gender: Male

When I look back on gaming since I began to delve seriously into it, what I lament is the irrevocable loss of text adventure games. Sure, they could still exist and be made today, but the advent of the internet makes the solutions to the mind-bending logic and lateral thinking puzzles far too attainable to make the games worthwhile anymore. Not to mention developers consider them pretty much unsellable without, ya know, graphics and all. And they're probably right.

Some notable examples:

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Zork I
Zork II
Zork III
Beyond Zork
A Mind Forever Voyaging

These games both drove me utterly mad and led me to be obsessively driven to find the answers I was pursuing.
"Do not offer sympathy to the mentally ill. Tell them firmly: I am not paid to listen to this drivel. You are a terminal fool."

~William S. Burroughs
Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:21 am
nefariousvirtuosoBannedUser avatarPosts: 45Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:43 pm Gender: Male

Pro Evolution Soccer 3.
Metal Gear Solid 2.
Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:08 pm
DaealisUser avatarPosts: 235Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 4:48 pmLocation: Tampere

Retro was a pretty strong word when looking at that list from the newest parts, but I consider the era of GTA to be retro.

With that said, here's a pick of mine:

Amiga:
Silkworm
Cabal
Fire & Ice
James Pond 2: Codename Robocod

NES:
Super Mario 2

Megadrive:
Streets of Rage 1-3
Sonic The Hedgehog

PC:
Commander Keen 4-6 + Dreams
Wacky Wheels
Slicks'n'Slide
LORD2 (Legend Of the Red Dragon)
Bomb(like Scorched Earth, only with 256-colors and 320*240)
Lemmings: The Tribes
Leisure Suit Larry(played 1 and Love for Sail)
Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle
The Dig
Full Throttle
Sam & Max: Hit The Road
Civilization 1
Heroes of Might And Magic(can't remember which one)
Blood
Shadow Hunter
Duke Nukem(I actually liked the first sidescrollers better than 3d :P)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
- Albert Einstein
Fri Jul 29, 2011 1:28 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2952Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Ooops didn't spot this one before I started another topic on the same subject :oops:

This is probably my favourite game ever:

Seeing that makes me feel so nostalgic!

Also another favourite of mine was Shenmue:
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:15 pm

OoT is most-def one of the best games ever made ever. Good luck finding anyone who disagrees.
Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:17 pm
televatorUser avatarPosts: 1252Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:02 amLocation: In hell, rocking out with Satan! Gender: Cake

^^Only people I can think who would disagree are religious zealots who are threatened by other works of fantasy that aren't their holly books.

There are no additional, claims, laws, commandments, rules, doctrines, presuppositions, stand alone ideologies, dogmas, and/or faith based beliefs required by or inevitably derived from atheism.
Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:52 pm

televator wrote:^^Only people I can think who would disagree are religious zealots who are threatened by other works of fantasy that aren't their holly books.

Fanboys are so irritating
Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:26 am

Link is obviously, like, soooooo much cooler than Jesus or Mohammad. :P

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:40 am
DepricatedZeroChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1333Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 amLocation: Cincinnati, OH Gender: Pinecone

Wild ARMS!!!!

That was the game that sold me on buying a Playstation back in the day.

It's sort of a Final Fantasy-esque RPG. Post-apocalyptic, too.
Why does my life have to be so small
And death is forever
And does forever have a life to call its own?
Don't give me an answer cause you only know
As much as I know
Unless you've been there once
And I hardly think so

Green Day - One of My Lies
Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:10 am

That reminded me of Lunar: Silver Star Story. Decent enough, but I never finished it because I was borrowing it from a kid who moved away :(
Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:19 am
Next
 [ 40 posts ] 
Return to Gaming