Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Scientific Gaming Journals?

[ 3 posts ] 
Scientific Gaming Journals?
SparkyUser avatarPosts: 148Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:17 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Post Scientific Gaming Journals?

Anyone know of any reputable scientific journals focusing on gaming and perhaps more specifically on game AIs? I'm currently looking for a Masters/PhD thesis or dissertation topic in this area so I want to know what the "cutting edge" of technology is in game AI.
Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
~Andre Gide
Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:44 pm
SnufkinPosts: 55Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:02 am

Post Re: Scientific Gaming Journals?

New AI techniques don't usually emerge from game programmers, the game programmers 'merely' implement/adapt/apply established AI techniques like alpha beta/neural networks/genetic algorithms/A star.

When someone invents a new AI technique it's nearly always broad enough to be applied to things outside game programming...so for this reason I think it'd be best you just find out which techniques modern games are using and research those techniques from a generic computer science source (instead of trying to find a game-specific AI journal).

http://www.gamedev.net/forum/9-artificial-intelligence/ will give you an idea of what techniques are being used in games.

I wrote my dissertation (for my software engineering bachelors) on game AI, my topic was minimax/alpha beta and I wrote a generic implementation which I applied to tron.
Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:31 pm
SparkyUser avatarPosts: 148Joined: Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:17 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Post Re: Scientific Gaming Journals?

Thanks for the advice Snufkin!
Believe those who are seeking the truth. Doubt those who find it.
~Andre Gide
Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:19 am
 [ 3 posts ] 
Return to Gaming