Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

A League Of Reason Campaign

[ 63 posts ] 
A League Of Reason Campaign
WelshidiotPosts: 569Joined: Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:57 pm

Post Re: A League Of Reason Campaign

Are you going to use authentic regiments from Market Garden, or are you going to make some up?

And do we get to choose our own military rank as part of character creation?
If so tell me what rank the American CO will be, so I can avoid outranking him.
Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:57 am
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

Welshidiot wrote:Are you going to use authentic regiments from Market Garden, or are you going to make some up?

You're all enlisted -
no exceptions.

If nobody else pulls the gambit for American Leader, you will have to be whatever equivalent equal to or less than a Staff Sargeant in the Army.
Even if the ranks don't seem to match up, it's always the person who's designated control of an operation is at the top of the chain of command anyhow.
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:24 am

)O( Hytegia )O( wrote:
Welshidiot wrote:Are you going to use authentic regiments from Market Garden, or are you going to make some up?

You're all enlisted -
no exceptions.

If nobody else pulls the gambit for American Leader, you will have to be whatever equivalent equal to or less than a Staff Sargeant in the Army.
Even if the ranks don't seem to match up, it's always the person who's designated control of an operation is at the top of the chain of command anyhow.
Yes, some of us civilians DO understand military protocol. :facepalm:

But it just makes it simpler if the mission leader IS the highest ranking officer. Anyway, nothing above Staff Sergeant,.....WILCO.

But I ask again,.....will you be using authentic regiment names from Operation Market Garden? Or will you make some up?
We only have to wiki the names anyway, so it's no hassle to look them up, and it would add a certain authenticity. 8-)
Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:49 am
ArthurWilbornPosts: 964Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:46 pm

Ok, then, Luke is from West Virginia. A real hillbilly instead of a stereotypical joke. Two hundred twenty pounds, 6'3", frame well developed but too drawn out to be imposing with long legs and delicate fingers. Black hair. He has visible scars over the knuckles of both of his hands and his palms are callused.
Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:10 am
)O( Hytegia )O(League LegendUser avatarPosts: 3135Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:27 pm Gender: Cake

I will work with the American Battalions -
I'm not sure about the history of other places ranking structure at the time of WWII, but you can all use your imaginations and Google-Fu here.

Your Regiments will be as real as you want them to be, but the American shit is going to be damned authentic.
Some would insinuate that being drunk at 9 in the morning to be signs of serious issues.
Me? I'd insinuate it as signs of no plans and a refrigerator full of Whiskey and Guinness.
Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:21 am
DepricatedZeroChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1333Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 amLocation: Cincinnati, OH Gender: Pinecone

My submission for the Sniper role. I actually put this together before reading through the rest of the thread after the point spread was posted, and didn't see that you had offered free stealth. I spent the points on stealth, and I'm not fussed, though I won't object to extra points anywhere! :D

I did a 4-page sheet and linked the PDF as well.

I made a couple timeline assumptions, based on the description, and perhaps it was silly of me. We Americans think WW2 didn't start until we joined in, after all, so when I read "in the middle of WW2" I thought in the middle of American Involvement in WW2. But then I saw it's listed 1940s so that's at least about right.

I assumed that Normandy has already happened, and used that to build a small history for the character. If I'm wrong, I can change it up, I also hadn't seen the bit about military rank before I had picked Corporal (figured 1 Status = low ranking NCO).

I think you'll enjoy the way the character is built. Some strength, some weakness.

It's going to take me a bit to write up an expanded story but I have plenty in my head to put down. What's in the PDF is just a short outline, naturally. For the weapons on the expanded sheet I just pulled the stats from the core book for like weapons. Exercised my Google-Fu getting the weapons accurate though (though depending on the timeline he may have a Grease Gun instead of a Tommy Gun, as standard issue).
Why does my life have to be so small
And death is forever
And does forever have a life to call its own?
Don't give me an answer cause you only know
As much as I know
Unless you've been there once
And I hardly think so

Green Day - One of My Lies
Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:47 am

It's good.

And the standard issue is Thompson Sub-Machine gun, AKA "Tommy" gun. No barrel on it, but it's the same mechanism none-the-less. Greasers were just getting into full swing after being approved in 1942 -
but your average shooter was trained for using the Thompson.

They were both operationally the same in utility. The Germans had one like it, except it side-loaded.
Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:21 am
DepricatedZeroChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1333Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 amLocation: Cincinnati, OH Gender: Pinecone

)O( Hytegia )O( wrote:It's good.

And the standard issue is Thompson Sub-Machine gun, AKA "Tommy" gun. No barrel on it, but it's the same mechanism none-the-less. Greasers were just getting into full swing after being approved in 1942 -
but your average shooter was trained for using the Thompson.

They were both operationally the same in utility. The Germans had one like it, except it side-loaded.

Right on - that's why I said "depending" - I read that the Greaser replaced the Tommy gun right around then. I went with a Thompson as the more likely candidate.

It's gonna be next week before I have an opportunity to write a more in-depth history of the character. I am, incidentally, running a Sabbat LARP event this weekend(Palla Grande!) with anticipated 100+ players at this point, so most of my free time has been dedicated to preparing for the game. It's going to be legendary.
And death is forever
As much as I know
And I hardly think so

Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:59 am

Dammit!

Looks like I won't have time for this after all, so I'm bowing out. Have fun guys. ;)
Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:39 pm

Is that everyone, then?

I've been working on orchestrating the initial encounter, which will be salting-the-wound action, so I have to know who is what at this point.
Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:53 am

Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:54 am
NothPodcasterUser avatarPosts: 335Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:25 pmLocation: the Nether-regions Gender: Male

There's always room for an NPC I guess :P

I don't think I have anything more to add to my char besides equipment, and perhaps some more detail on the contacts.
Since I know little to nothing about army equipment and the sort feel free to prescribe a standard package and add a camouflage kit to it and I'll be a happy camper. :)

*edit:

oh yeah, depending on our leader's rank I think I'd be either Corporal or Sergeant.
Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:18 pm

Just to show how much gear each paratrooper had to carry with him when he made the jump, here's an excerpt from the book "Band of Brothers" by Stephen E Ambrose on which the series was based: "Climbing aboard the C-47s was difficult, because of all the gear each man carried. The vest and long drawers issued each men were impregnated, to ward off a possible chemical attack; it made them cumbersome, they stank, they itched, they kept in body heat and caused torrents of sweat. The combat jacket and trousers were also treated. The men carried a pocket knife in the lapel of their blouses, to be used to cut themselves out of their harness if they landed in a tree. In their baggy trousers' pockets they had a spoon, razor, socks, cleaning patches, flashlight, maps, three-day supply of K-rations, an emergency ration package, ammunition, a compass, two fragmentation grenades, an anti-tank mine, a smoke grenade, a Gammon bomb (two-pound plastic explosive for use against tanks) and cigarettes, two cartons per man. The soldier topped his uniform with his webbing, belt and braces, a .45 pistol (standard for non-coms and officers; privates had to get their own, and most did), water canteen, shovel, first aid kit and bayonet. Over this went his parachute harness, his main parachute in its backpack, and reserve chute hooked on in front. A gas mask was strapped to his left leg and a jump-knife/bayonet to his right. Across his chest the soldier slung his musette bag with his spare underwear and ammunition, and in some cases TNT sticks, along with his broken-down rifle or machine gun or mortar diagonally up-and-down across his front under his reserve chute pack, leaving both hands free to handle the risers. He also had to have his Mae West life jacket. Finally he puts on his helmet."
http://toyhaven.blogspot.com/2008/02/ww ... ooper.html

My guy ditched his explosives after he landed 'cause they make him nervous.
Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:45 pm

Smart.
Lol.

In ALL CASES a Pistol is considered a concealable weapon. So is a knife, and up to 2 grenades. How well it is concealed is subject to rolls.
Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:34 pm

Are we jumping right in here?
And death is forever
As much as I know
And I hardly think so

Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:59 am

No.
I'm devising the openings. The opening is the hardest part of any campaign - it's the setting stone for the entire scene that will set the mood for the game.

I'm trying to capture the fear and essence instilled by the quiet before the storm...

I'm sorry, I do take my time with the initial wording. I'll make sure to make another thread and link it from here.
Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:08 am

Right on :) exactly why I asked
And death is forever
As much as I know
And I hardly think so

Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:41 am

Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:02 am
CosmicJoghurtPodcasterUser avatarPosts: 809Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 pm Gender: Pinecone

I have... no idea what this is about. Writing a story?
Perception of reality results in interpretation of reality which results in a deformation of reality.
Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:16 pm

It's a pen-and-paper RPG, Jug...
Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:23 pm
PreviousNext
 [ 63 posts ] 
Return to Gaming