Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

A science version of Answers in Genesis?

[ 11 posts ] 
A science version of Answers in Genesis?
Steelmage99Posts: 165Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post A science version of Answers in Genesis?

Does such a thing exist?

Can one find a secular science-oriented site that, if we have be completely honest, deserves to have its sources checked a bit more than normally?
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Thu May 28, 2015 10:17 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5001Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: A science version of Answers in Genesis?

Certainly, although I'm not the person in the know about such things.

Welcome to LoR. :)
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Thu May 28, 2015 10:26 am
MugnutsBloggerUser avatarPosts: 383Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:13 am Gender: Male

I'm not really sure what the question is asking. When it comes to sites like AiG, ICR, and the DI, these aren't science based sites. They are apologetics with sciency sheep's clothing "answers".

As for a site that entails the whole of science, there in no way could be just one. As a whole there are so many different fields of scientific research and discoveries, to catalog and to make a database that entails it all would be a gigantic task. The internet itself is enough to satisfy, but yes it sucks when you learn something you had thought was factual, then was corrected and you had no idea about it. Or even worse, found out something was misrepresented as fact and shown to be otherwise, yet no correction made at all.

Is it that you are asking if there is some sort of errata or correction crew that gives updates, adds new information to older papers, studies, articles? I'm not sure.

The only thing that comes to mind is the talk origins archive. It generally only deals with religion vs. science claims but they do a pretty good job at keeping current, but they aren't really there to correct the science, just expose the misrepresentation of it.

I hope my two cents was worth something. Welcome to the forums :)
"In the end theologians are jealous of science, for they are aware that it has greater authority than do their own ways of finding “truth”: dogma, authority, and revelation. Science does find truth, faith does not. " - Jerry Coyne
Thu May 28, 2015 11:20 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5001Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

I thought the question meant is there a scienc-y seeming, full of shit, waste of server space equivalent to AiG. I've reqd dozens of those over the years...
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Thu May 28, 2015 12:31 pm
Steelmage99Posts: 165Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Thank you for the welcome to both of you. :D

My question stems from a desire to demonstrate fairness.
When I discus religions and religious attitudes with religious people, I often find myself in a situation where I have to talk about how not all sources are to be treated equally.

This usually comes up in connection with the concept of peer-review and scepticism.

I would like to be able to point to a secular non-religious non-spiritual source that might have a bit of a reputation for drawing somewhat grandiose conclusions based on very little evidence - if a good example of such a thing can be found.

I would like to be able to point to such a source and truthfully say; "See? I don't trust these guys the same way I trust, for example, an article published in Nature either".
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Thu May 28, 2015 2:53 pm

If you have a look here, you might strike it lucky.

Thu May 28, 2015 4:09 pm
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 2954Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Thu May 28, 2015 4:51 pm
Collecemall

This might be something you would be interested in. They post all sorts of crazy shit that isn't true.

http://thespiritscience.net/
"Every man is a creature of the age in which he lives, and few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of their time."
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ~~Voltaire
Thu May 28, 2015 10:32 pm
prycejoshPosts: 20Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:57 pm Gender: Male

Steelmage99 wrote:Does such a thing exist?

Can one find a secular science-oriented site that, if we have be completely honest, deserves to have its sources checked a bit more than normally?

science itself couldnt logically point to information in genesis because its thousands of years ago. but in some ways it could like for example the rainbow and how it rains these are some of the thing written in the old testament. how we are from same materials as dust. science has discovered those things. there are more thing but i wont mention them.
Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:46 am
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1184Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

prycejosh wrote:
science itself couldnt logically point to information in genesis because its thousands of years ago. but in some ways it could like for example the rainbow and how it rains these are some of the thing written in the old testament. how we are from same materials as dust. science has discovered those things. there are more thing but i wont mention them.

Yes rainbows :)

Rainbows are so cool that I won't even mention that bit about earth being a flat disc and women coming from man's rib :)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:27 pm
RumraketUser avatarPosts: 1170Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:49 am Gender: Male

prycejosh wrote:how we are from same materials as dust.

It's more the other way around. Since most dust in your home is actually dead skincells, the dust is of the same material as you. A lot of it even has your DNA. :lol:
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Wed Jul 01, 2015 9:31 pm
 [ 11 posts ] 
Return to General Scepticism