Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Dying and rising Gods.

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 2
 [ 26 posts ] 
Dying and rising Gods.
Author Message
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Dying and rising Gods.

Are there any other dying and rising Gods except for Christ who lived and died as a man and then came back as a man?
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Tue Feb 09, 2016 6:24 pm
ldmitrukUser avatarPosts: 234Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:47 pmLocation: Edmonton, Alberta Gender: Cake

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

There a number of gods who died and rose from the dead. Here's a list of ten of them. In addition here's the Wikipedia entry on resurrection deities. I think it's interesting a number of them pre-date the story of Jesus. This leads me to believe the myth of Jesus is just a retelling of older resurrection myths.
Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:58 pm
Bango SkankPosts: 177Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 amLocation: Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

ldmitruk wrote:There a number of gods who died and rose from the dead. Here's a list of ten of them. In addition here's the Wikipedia entry on resurrection deities. I think it's interesting a number of them pre-date the story of Jesus. This leads me to believe the myth of Jesus is just a retelling of older resurrection myths.


Even if Jesus story is unique, so what? I bet many other religions have unique features too.
"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise."
Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:30 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 838Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

thenexttodie wrote:Are there any other dying and rising Gods except for Christ who lived and died as a man and then came back as a man?

Can you define what you mean by man?

Because I think we may have different perceptions on the abilities and limitations of man.
"Slavery is morally ok" -
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" -
Public information messages from the League of Reason's christians
Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:32 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

ldmitruk wrote:There a number of gods who died and rose from the dead. Here's a list of ten of them. In addition here's the Wikipedia entry on resurrection deities. I think it's interesting a number of them pre-date the story of Jesus. This leads me to believe the myth of Jesus is just a retelling of older resurrection myths.


This doesn't really help much.

I assumed someone here has already done the research and is able to answer my question with referring me to laundry lists.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:44 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

Bango Skank wrote: Even if Jesus story is unique, so what?


Well, some parts of anyone's life story would be unique and other parts would be common.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:06 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

MarsCydonia wrote:
thenexttodie wrote:Are there any other dying and rising Gods except for Christ who lived and died as a man and then came back as a man?

MarsCydonia wrote:Can you define what you mean by man?


A male human.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:13 pm
Bango SkankPosts: 177Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 amLocation: Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

thenexttodie wrote:
Bango Skank wrote: Even if Jesus story is unique, so what?


Well, some parts of anyone's life story would be unique and other parts would be common.


I know that you didn't claim it, but 100% of the christians that i have encountered so far, argues that the uniqueness of Jesus is proof that the story is true.
"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise."
Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:41 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3339Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

MarsCydonia wrote:
thenexttodie wrote:Are there any other dying and rising Gods except for Christ who lived and died as a man and then came back as a man?


Can you define what you mean by man?

Because I think we may have different perceptions on the abilities and limitations of man.


Obviously when thenexttodie says "man" he means someone that could walk on water, heal the sick, kill trees with one touch, raise the dead, have wounds that never heal or fester, and fly up into heaven. Thenexttodie must mean this because it is claimed Jesus did all those things in the Bible. Who knew man was such a badass? That or thenexttodie is just asking a nonsense question.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:48 pm
YIM WWW
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

Bango Skank wrote: Even if Jesus story is unique, so what?


thenexttodie wrote:Well, some parts of anyone's life story would be unique and other parts would be common.


Bango Skank wrote:I know that you didn't claim it, but 100% of the christians that i have encountered so far, argues that the uniqueness of Jesus is proof that the story is true.


That maybe. I don't really care. It's not like winning an argument with an atheist is a requirement of Christianity. I doubt hardly anyone ever became a Christian as a result of doing a comparative study on the uniqueness of Christs life as oppossed to anyone else's. So I am not sure why any Christian would expect you to be convinced or even interested at all in hearing these types of arguments. Try pointing that out to them next time. That might be interesting.

Anyway this is all besides the point. After all according to the Bible, Christ was not the only, nor even the first person raised from the dead. This thread is not an attempt by me to try to prove his uniqueness.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:03 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatar
Online
Posts: 2952Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

Why don't you research it yourself?

All I'm going to say is that if this is a unique aspect to the Christ myth, it doesn't make it true (EDIT: Or rather it doesn't make it any less a myth). It's the only one that is set in Judea and involves Jews. Having unique aspects and qualities only serve to distinguish it slightly from all the other similar myths. The fact that you're looking for aspects that distinguish it in itself shows how similar they are.
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:09 am
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3339Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

Laurens wrote:Why don't you research it yourself?

All I'm going to say is that if this is a unique aspect to the Christ myth, it doesn't make it true (EDIT: Or rather it doesn't make it any less a myth). It's the only one that is set in Judea and involves Jews. Having unique aspects and qualities only serve to distinguish it slightly from all the other similar myths. The fact that you're looking for aspects that distinguish it in itself shows how similar they are.


As I pointed out earlier, in what way is Jesus (in the Bible) a man? He walks on water, heals the sick, can kill trees with a single touch (pre-resurrection), raise cemeteries of the dead, have wounds that never heal or fester, and ascend into heaven (post-resurrection). In what way can any of that be classified as human? How are those not characteristics of a supernatural (and fictional) character (be it a god, wizard, jinn, etc...)?
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:24 pm
YIM WWW
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatar
Online
Posts: 2952Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

he_who_is_nobody wrote:
Laurens wrote:Why don't you research it yourself?

All I'm going to say is that if this is a unique aspect to the Christ myth, it doesn't make it true (EDIT: Or rather it doesn't make it any less a myth). It's the only one that is set in Judea and involves Jews. Having unique aspects and qualities only serve to distinguish it slightly from all the other similar myths. The fact that you're looking for aspects that distinguish it in itself shows how similar they are.


As I pointed out earlier, in what way is Jesus (in the Bible) a man? He walks on water, heals the sick, can kill trees with a single touch (pre-resurrection), raise cemeteries of the dead, have wounds that never heal or fester, and ascend into heaven (post-resurrection). In what way can any of that be classified as human? How are those not characteristics of a supernatural (and fictional) character (be it a god, wizard, jinn, etc...)?

Indeed, it's not even accurate on its own terms. But if it were it's still not a point against mythicism, any more than it being based in a different location is.
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:42 am
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 838Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

thenexttodie wrote:A male human.

Can you define what you mean by human male?

Because I think we may have different perceptions on the abilities and limitations of human males.

With the information provided so far in that "man" is "human male", I will go with "yes, there are other dying and rising Gods who lived, died and came back as a man"
"Slavery is morally ok" -
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" -
Public information messages from the League of Reason's christians
Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:14 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

he_who_is_nobody wrote:Obviously when thenexttodie says "man" he means someone that could walk on water, heal the sick, kill trees with one touch, raise the dead, have wounds that never heal or fester, and fly up into heaven.


No. If you don't like me using Jesus as an example of what I'm looking for, then just focus on the given qualifiers. Died as a man and came back as a man. It's a simple enough question.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:32 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 838Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

thenexttodie wrote:No. If you don't like me using Jesus as an example of what I'm looking for, then just focus on the given qualifiers. Died as a man and came back as a man. It's a simple enough question.

The answer is yes. Since you defined man as "human male", there are other religious figures claimed to be gods who took human male forms to come to earth to live among man, died and were resurrected in their human male form before ascending.

And they all have roughly the same level of solid evidence too.
"Slavery is morally ok" -
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" -
Public information messages from the League of Reason's christians
Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:15 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

MarsCydonia wrote:The answer is yes. Since you defined man as "human male", there are other religious figures claimed to be gods who took human male forms to come to earth to live among man, died and were resurrected in their human male form before ascending.


Can you give me the name of just 1?
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:43 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 838Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

thenexttodie wrote:Can you give me the name of just 1?


Krishna
"Slavery is morally ok" -
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" -
Public information messages from the League of Reason's christians
Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:07 pm
Steelmage99Posts: 171Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

Thenexttodie, where are you going with this?


Here are a few things looming on the horizon like the discrete rumbling of an impending storm;

1. Special significance will be assigned to specific circumstances surrounded the myth you believe in - whereas the significance of equally specific circumstances in other resurrection myths will be downplayed.

2. It will be pointed out that while Jesus was a man, he wasn't just a man. He was also a god. Your response to that remains to be seen.

3. The construction of a "Gotcha" argument - where terms are not defined, equivalences will be perpetrated and leap-frogging will commence, and the person presenting the "argument" will refuse to move on to another premise unless the previous premise has been accepted.


Thenexttodie, just present your argument. If you need another person to interact with or to trick during your argument - then it is a lesser argument.
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:39 am
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Dying and rising Gods.

MarsCydonia wrote:
Krishna


Thank you.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:15 pm
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 2
 [ 26 posts ] 
Return to General Scepticism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
cron