Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 17 posts ] 
Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?
Author Message
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

I have a friend who recently ordered some salt online that is supposed to more healthy for you than other salt. This reminded me of a book I read by a doctor who used salt to cure people of various aliments while in prison in Pakistan. Anyway from what I have been able to gather from the net, I am not sure what to make of the claim that there actually exists a "more healthy salt".

Is it real or is it a hoax?
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:23 am
Steelmage99Posts: 174Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

thenexttodie wrote:I have a friend who recently ordered some salt online that is supposed to more healthy for you than other salt. This reminded me of a book I read by a doctor who used salt to cure people of various aliments while in prison in Pakistan. Anyway from what I have been able to gather from the net, I am not sure what to make of the claim that there actually exists a "more healthy salt".

Is it real or is it a hoax?


I would ask you friend that dreaded question; "How is it healthier, and more importantly can you demonstrate your answer to be true?".
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:08 am
SparhafocPosts: 1653Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

thenexttodie wrote:I have a friend who recently ordered some salt online that is supposed to more healthy for you than other salt. This reminded me of a book I read by a doctor who used salt to cure people of various aliments while in prison in Pakistan. Anyway from what I have been able to gather from the net, I am not sure what to make of the claim that there actually exists a "more healthy salt".

Is it real or is it a hoax?



It's meh.

Some salts might be purified of any crap that was otherwise picked up in the crystal forming process, but any salt you buy is already pure enough. Alternatively, some snake-salt-sellers might want to claim there's all manner of minerals in the salt, but then it's the opposite of purified and who knows what you're eating?

Otherwise, the real benefit of salt is when it's been iodized thereby preventing iodine deficiency. If the salt your friend has ordered is not iodized then I would guess, on balance, that it's less good for you than the cheapest table salt you can buy in your local supermarket.

And the real health cost of salt is too much sodium with its increase in cardiovascular problems and higher mortality rates through over-consumption.

For me, I like the taste of sea-salt, but as long as it's iodized, I don't really care what salt it is.
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:13 am
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 2959Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Post Re: Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

Greetings,

Some years ago potassium chloride was said to be healthier - or, at least, less unhealthy - than sodium chloride.

Not sure if that's changed since then ('80s).

Kindest regards,

James
Image
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:06 am
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

Steelmage99 wrote:
I would ask you friend that dreaded question; "How is it healthier, and more importantly can you demonstrate your answer to be true?".


Lol. I'm pretty sure he would have no fucking idea how to answer that.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:47 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

Dragan Glas wrote:Greetings,

Some years ago potassium chloride was said to be healthier - or, at least, less unhealthy - than sodium chloride.

Not sure if that's changed since then ('80s).

Kindest regards,

James


That's what I was thinking. The first page of Google results hinted at that, but surprisingly every link lead to me to site that gave some sort of weird metaphysical explanation about it.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:56 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

Sparhafoc wrote:

It's meh.

Some salts might be purified of any crap that was otherwise picked up in the crystal forming process, but any salt you buy is already pure enough. Alternatively, some snake-salt-sellers might want to claim there's all manner of minerals in the salt, but then it's the opposite of purified and who knows what you're eating?


Yeah, that's how I see it. There could be fucking flakes of lead it for anyone knows. I am surprised I was not able to quickly find a defintive study on this. But anyway. Hopefully I can convince him he is wasting his time and money.

As I side note, I think Europe really needs to better regulate all of the homeopathy crap they allow here in general.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:27 pm
SparhafocPosts: 1653Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

thenexttodie wrote:Yeah, that's how I see it. There could be fucking flakes of lead it for anyone knows. I am surprised I was not able to quickly find a defintive study on this. But anyway. Hopefully I can convince him he is wasting his time and money.


Maybe up the ante to plutonium! ;)

Ask him whether he thinks that salt producers routinely check for plutonium. :lol:


thenexttodie wrote:As I side note, I think Europe really needs to better regulate all of the homeopathy crap they allow here in general.


http://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/w ... on_en.html

:D
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:30 pm
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 777Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

thenexttodie wrote:I have a friend who recently ordered some salt online that is supposed to more healthy for you than other salt. This reminded me of a book I read by a doctor who used salt to cure people of various aliments while in prison in Pakistan. Anyway from what I have been able to gather from the net, I am not sure what to make of the claim that there actually exists a "more healthy salt".

Is it real or is it a hoax?

I'd say that was a red flag there. If you read a book written by someone claiming, or even being, a doctor about a universal cure you should be very skeptical about it. Specially if that book doesn't start with "My double blind experiment running the last 5 years that was just published in the Lancet shows that...".

Internet can be your friend. If the health benefits are real there will be some good sources for them. I'm not even talking about peer reviewed papers, though those would be nice, but main stream press. Sure they can, and often are, bamboozeled but one use them to dig deeper through the source mine to see if the original source seems legit.

Remember; the only good salt is ammonium chloride. It's tasty too!
Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:56 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

Visaki wrote:I'd say that was a red flag there. If you read a book written by someone claiming, or even being, a doctor about a universal cure you should be very skeptical about it. Specially if that book doesn't start with "My double blind experiment running the last 5 years that was just published in the Lancet shows that...".

Internet can be your friend. If the health benefits are real there will be some good sources for them. I'm not even talking about peer reviewed papers, though those would be nice, but main stream press. Sure they can, and often are, bamboozeled but one use them to dig deeper through the source mine to see if the original source seems legit.

Remember; the only good salt is ammonium chloride. It's tasty too!


Yeah, I normally add a little bit of ammonium chloride to my beer. It helps me get drunk quiker.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:32 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

thenexttodie wrote:Yeah, that's how I see it. There could be fucking flakes of lead it for anyone knows. I am surprised I was not able to quickly find a defintive study on this. But anyway. Hopefully I can convince him he is wasting his time and money.


Sparhafoc wrote:Maybe up the ante to plutonium! ;)

Ask him whether he thinks that salt producers routinely check for plutonium. :lol:


Actually he seemed to get the point after I mentioned lead flakes. Surprisingly I did not need to start talking about plutonium. I am happy about this.


thenexttodie wrote:As I side note, I think Europe really needs to better regulate all of the homeopathy crap they allow here in general.


Sparhafoc wrote:http://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/water-drink/legislation_en.html

:D


"The Drinking Water Directive doesn't apply to:
natural mineral waters recognised as such by the competent national authorities, in accordance with Council Directive 80/777/EEC of 15 July 1980 on the approximation of the laws of the Member States relating to the exploitation and marketing of natural mineral waters and repealed by Directive 2009/54/EC of 18 June 2009 on the exploitation and marketing of natural mineral waters; and
waters which are medicinal products within the meaning of Council Directive 65/65/EEC of 26 January 1965 on the approximation of provisions laid down by law, regulation or administrative action relating to medicinal products and repealed by Directive 2001/83/EC of 6 November 201 on the Community code relating to medicinal products for human use."

This part sounds a bit shady to me.

I was actually once a total supporter of homeopathy bullshit. And when the US started cracking down it, I thought the only reason why the US was doing this was to support big pharmecutical business.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:58 pm
Bango SkankPosts: 180Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 amLocation: Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

thenexttodie wrote:Yeah, I normally add a little bit of ammonium chloride to my beer. It helps me get drunk quiker.


Just curious, but how do you justify this behavior? Aint getting drunk seen as depraved behavior in your christian worldview, especially when you try to hasten this behavior?
"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise."
Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:40 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

Bango Skank wrote: Aint getting drunk seen as depraved behavior in your christian worldview, especially when you try to hasten this behavior?


Yes.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:42 pm
Bango SkankPosts: 180Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 amLocation: Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

thenexttodie wrote:
Bango Skank wrote: Aint getting drunk seen as depraved behavior in your christian worldview, especially when you try to hasten this behavior?


Yes.


When you don't take your own religion seriously, don't expect others either.
"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise."
Last edited by Bango Skank on Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:33 pm
DustniteUser avatarPosts: 519Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:11 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

thenexttodie wrote:Yeah, I normally add a little bit of ammonium chloride to my beer. It helps me get drunk quiker.


thenexttodie wrote:You have a very destructive world view which will hurt yourself and others very much.
"But this is irrelevant because in either case, whether a god exists or not, whether your God (with a capital G) exists or not, it doesn't matter. We both are, in either case, evolved apes. " - Nesslig20
Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:36 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

Bango Skank wrote: Aint getting drunk seen as depraved behavior in your christian worldview, especially when you try to hasten this behavior
When you don't take your own religion seriously, don't expect others either.


I know, but this is how it is. As a Christian I think it is important for someone like me to not do things like, go to an Atheist forum and pretend that I am perfect when I am not. Probably most good Christian churches would not let me be a member with out me making some serious changes to my lifestyle. I have always been honest about this to you and this whole forum

All of the good Christians are busy doing something else. You don't actually expect any of them to come to this forum do you? So all you get is me. Sorry if I disappoint you but I do the best I can.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:39 pm
SparhafocPosts: 1653Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Salt. Do healthy and unhealthy food salts exist?

thenexttodie wrote:I know, but this is how it is. As a Christian I think it is important for someone like me to not do things like, go to an Atheist forum and pretend that I am perfect when I am not. Probably most good Christian churches would not let me be a member with out me making some serious changes to my lifestyle. I have always been honest about this to you and this whole forum

All of the good Christians are busy doing something else. You don't actually expect any of them to come to this forum do you? So all you get is me. Sorry if I disappoint you but I do the best I can.


:lol: :lol: :lol:
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:48 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 1
 [ 17 posts ] 
Return to General Scepticism

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests
cron