Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Thinking Trees

[ 10 posts ] 
Thinking Trees
acheronPosts: 73Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:41 am Gender: Male

Post Thinking Trees

As a technologist working in a university environment, I find myself trying to teach people to think in a problem-solving manner (mostly junior techs who should be able to find the root cause of a technology problem, even if they can't always resolve it), and also interacting with faculty who believe that teaching a variety of flexible ways to think about problems is the most important part of what they deliver in their classroom.

One of those faculty members pointed me at a very spiffy online tool for this purpose today:

http://www.exploratree.org.uk/

Basically, the site has a whole bunch of templates designed to be edited and used in the process of teaching thinking, problem solving, and analysis methods visually; I think it's brilliant, and definitely will keep it handy for times when I'm discussing something and feel like the conversation needs a bit of structure.

Hopefully this is the proper part of the forum to post this sort of thing, I wasn't sure exactly where to categorize it. :ugeek:

~acheron
Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:30 pm
scalyblueUser avatarPosts: 1417Joined: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:02 am

Post Re: Thinking Trees

我が力 我が身となりて
共に滅びの道を歩まん
神々の魂すらも打ち砕き
Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:44 pm
MRaverzPosts: 1838Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:00 am Gender: Pinecone

I'm liking these, but I don't know if we have an appropriate section for them. D;

We need a 'useful tools' section to put stuff like this and Celestia etc.
Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:51 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5009Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Definitely, there's also a realtime night sky program called Stellarium @ http://www.stellarium.org/ available for linux/mac/winlols - it's also in the debian/ubuntu and derivative repositories.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:14 am

Prolescum wrote:Definitely, there's also a realtime night sky program called Stellarium @ http://www.stellarium.org/ available for linux/mac/winlols - it's also in the debian/ubuntu and derivative repositories.

repositories are for noobs ^.x MAKE ftw
我が力 我が身となりて
共に滅びの道を歩まん
神々の魂すらも打ち砕き
Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:25 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5009Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

scalyblue wrote:
Prolescum wrote:Definitely, there's also a realtime night sky program called Stellarium @ http://www.stellarium.org/ available for linux/mac/winlols - it's also in the debian/ubuntu and derivative repositories.

repositories are for noobs ^.x MAKE ftw

Trying to be helpful, mate. I point it out because only the source is available at the site and some may not know what to do with it. I know a few, anyway.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:23 am

Prolescum wrote:Trying to be helpful, mate. I point it out because only the source is available at the site and some may not know what to do with it. I know a few, anyway.

I was being playful, sorry if it didn't translate into text ^.x
我が力 我が身となりて
共に滅びの道を歩まん
神々の魂すらも打ち砕き
Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:17 am
sgrunterundtUser avatarPosts: 254Joined: Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:23 amLocation: Niels Bohr Institute, Copenhagen Gender: Tree

Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:39 am

scalyblue wrote:
Prolescum wrote:Trying to be helpful, mate. I point it out because only the source is available at the site and some may not know what to do with it. I know a few, anyway.

I was being playful, sorry if it didn't translate into text ^.x

No worries, chum.

Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:45 am
gounshenPosts: 5Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:22 pm

hello.........
i am new.
Trying to be helpful, mate. I point it out because only the source is available at the site and some may not know what to do with it.
Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:45 pm
 [ 10 posts ] 
Return to General Scepticism