Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

** STICKY ** Programs for screenrecording

[ 9 posts ] 
** STICKY ** Programs for screenrecording
derkvanlUser avatarPosts: 164Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:32 pm Gender: Male

Post ** STICKY ** Programs for screenrecording

Just a small list of the programs I know of, that might come in handy to all videomakers.

For capturing d3d video, NOT freeware (games for example)
- FRAPS (will record the vista and windows 7 graphical desktop too, advanced audiostream capture for vista and 7, NOT freeware)
- Gamecam (has cached recording features, briljant if you forgot to capture some action, also comes in light edition)

For capturing desktop, freeware
- Camstudio (free)
- Gadwin printscreen (best screenshottaking program I know and free)

others:
Manycam (use your webcam with different applications at the same time, NOT freeware)

Any additional programs are welcome.
Last edited by derkvanl on Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:12 pm
JustBusiness17User avatarPosts: 1484Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 amLocation: Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe, Etc etc... Gender: Male

Post Re: ** STICKY ** Programs for screenrecording

Nice list! Thanks for the effort!!

Do you know if Gadwin can capture webpages beyond whats on your screen?

Also, does anyone know what screen capture software allows you to zoom in and out on the fly. The one I saw also let you put a highlight over the cursor and I think a couple other cool features for instructional videos.
ttyl
Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:59 pm
MRaverzPosts: 1838Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:00 am Gender: Pinecone

JustBusiness17 wrote:Nice list! Thanks for the effort!!

Also, does anyone know what screen capture software allows you to zoom in and out on the fly. The one I saw also let you put a highlight over the cursor and I think a couple other cool features for instructional videos.

Camstudio allows you to highlight and track the mouse, not too sure about zooming in and out though.
Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:06 pm
JustBusiness17User avatarPosts: 1484Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:29 amLocation: Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, The Universe, Etc etc... Gender: Male

MRaverz wrote:

Camstudio allows you to highlight and track the mouse, not too sure about zooming in and out though.

That zoom feature is what I really want... Have you ever seen a video with it? Its really useful/helpful.
ttyl
Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:32 pm
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

Camstudio can follow the cursor. I'm not sure how useful that is to you...

EDIT: MRaverz already said that.
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Last edited by nasher168 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:46 pm
derkvanlUser avatarPosts: 164Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2009 6:32 pm Gender: Male

nope, only captures the visible.

JustBusiness17 wrote:Also, does anyone know what screen capture software allows you to zoom in and out on the fly. The one I saw also let you put a highlight over the cursor and I think a couple other cool features for instructional videos.

If you use IE, you can use CTRL + and - for zooming while recording and capture that.

And I think nview (nvidia) and some tools from ATI provide on-the-fly zooming functionality.

//edit: windows accessibility options also has a magnifying glass.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308978/en
Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:00 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4998Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

JustBusiness17 wrote:
MRaverz wrote:Camstudio allows you to highlight and track the mouse, not too sure about zooming in and out though.

That zoom feature is what I really want... Have you ever seen a video with it? Its really useful/helpful.

GTK recordmydesktop in combination with various compiz plugins can do many of those types of things, zoom, cursor highlighting etc under linux.

(you'd need a linux box, compiz, compiz-plugins, compiz-plugins-extra, CCSM, gtk-recordmydesktop - all free of charge)
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:59 pm
RyuOni1989User avatarPosts: 41Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:21 amLocation: Japan Gender: Male

Does Camstudio also record the audio too?
Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself
To know thyself you must first know the world and everything in it, despite what the truth may be. You can lie to yourself, but you can't lie to Reality
http://www.youtube.com/user/RyuOni1989
Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:54 pm
YIM WWW
MRaverzPosts: 1838Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:00 am Gender: Pinecone

RyuOni1989 wrote:Does Camstudio also record the audio too?

Yup, you can choose between speaker audio, microphone audio, both or neither.
Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:59 pm
 [ 9 posts ] 
Return to Video Editing