Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Theme/Topic ideas

[ 22 posts ] 
Theme/Topic ideas
WombleUser avatarPosts: 216Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:04 pmLocation: UK Gender: Pinecone

Post Theme/Topic ideas

Kinda on the back of the question i asked in the second show. Basically as opposed to spotlight the way creationists ignore and dispute evolution pick some of the other areas their ignorance damages, e.g. their revision of history and plate tectonics denial. Depending on how much info you can find you could lump a couple together or bring in some experts on the fields.
Periods of the Palaeozoic & Mesozoic:
Cambridge Ordinand Silently Develops Carbuncles at Permanent Trial by Jury for Creationists.

Made of naturally refined fissile Womblonium 232
Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:42 pm
CommonEnlightenmentUser avatarPosts: 649Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:06 amLocation: Plato Crater Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Theme/Topic ideas

I think a good idea for the name for the show would be:

"You can lead a creationist to science but you can't make him/her like it"

;)

In honor of our buddy Ray Comfort, oh course.
There is still light in the 'Earthly' darkness. Finding light in the darkness can be more satisfying than merely seeing the glaring light of our sun. It gives us a better understanding of light and a deeper understanding of our universe.
Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:50 pm
AndromedasWakeAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 598Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 11:38 pmLocation: Captain's Chair, League HQ Gender: Cake

A show dedicated to geology of an old earth would be interesting, no?

NephilimFree would be more than welcome to drop by I'm sure. :)
ImageImage
(( "We are 'star-stuff'. We are a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan | Music! | Twitter - [ AndromedasWake | SiriusStargazer ] ))
Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:42 pm
Vox SolaPosts: 2Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:45 am Gender: Cake

Forms of faith that even the rational are blind to?
Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:14 pm
/b/artlebyUser avatarPosts: 152Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:28 pm

How about "the purpose of religion"?
I would prefer not to.
Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:49 pm
nasher168League LegendUser avatarPosts: 2518Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:34 pmLocation: Derby, UK Gender: Male

"So How do Pinecones Work?" :)
A great Charity
Apologies for my absence of late.
Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:43 pm
PulsarUser avatarPosts: 872Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:52 pmLocation: Belgium

nasher168 wrote:"So How do Pinecones Work?" :)

Maybe Pinecone Research knows ;)
I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Robert McCloskey

Science doesn’t know everything … religion doesn’t know ANYTHING.
Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:55 pm
nevpaynePosts: 45Joined: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:07 pmLocation: SW England UK Gender: Tree

Not sure on topical category, but how about "the future"?

What with the endless leaps and bounds now being made in science advancement and the theoretical discoveries to be made (such has the Higgs Boson particle, or an exo-planets within habitable zones of stars), what would the religion's next defence be? Is there going to be a point reached where society will become so secular and scientifically minded that the religious fundamentalists either phase out into nothing, or use more and more extreme measures?

In the Docu-Discussion, "The Four Horsemen" Dawkins and Hitchens try this one out but only very briefly. Hitchens sides on doom and despair for non-religious peoples where Dawkins sees a slow progression towards non religious societies. I felt it was all too brief and required far more time than they gave it.

This one may seem a little vague but should encompass all the regular speakers and their fields on the show.
Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:35 pm
MithcorielPosts: 86Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:59 pm

I have a question about show topics, and it seems to fit in here:
How do we, the viewers, know what the topic of the show is? Is that written anywhere? Cause I wouldn't wanna call in if I'm worried my question might completely not fit into the topic. (Speaking of which: how strict are you with listener's questions not matching the topic?)
Mon Aug 30, 2010 4:09 pm
lrkunUser avatarPosts: 3831Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:37 pmLocation: R. Gender: Tree

Is it also possible that questions be sent up front before the actual day of the talk show? It'll hasten things and allow the panel to prepare more.
Unsupport unthink.
Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:31 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

lrkun wrote:Is it also possible that questions be sent up front before the actual day of the talk show? It'll hasten things and allow the panel to prepare more.

I agree. Maybe set up a hotmail for that purpose? Or just let questions flood in on the skype account.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:53 am

If you use an email adress for that, you should empty that account after every show, so you don't get hundreds of old questions lying around there. Make it clear that people shouldn't send some kind of long-term questions, just stuff relevant to the next show.
Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:11 pm
DepricatedZeroChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1319Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 amLocation: Cincinnati, OH Gender: Pinecone

Morality.
Why does my life have to be so small
And death is forever
And does forever have a life to call its own?
Don't give me an answer cause you only know
As much as I know
Unless you've been there once
And I hardly think so

Green Day - One of My Lies
Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:58 am

Make a show on the topic "Back when I was a fundie".
I think such anecdotes are really interesting. The youtuber CultofDusty has a few of those, and yesterday AronRa mentioned his homophobic days. That stuff's fun to hear, not least cause it's kinda ironic.

(I suppose it could also be called "Deconversion stories", even though the tales of what you did before you stopped being a wacko are interesting too.)

Tell us a story! ^^
Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:26 pm
CosmicJoghurtPodcasterUser avatarPosts: 808Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 pm Gender: Pinecone

I have a few ideas.

1.- Atheism certainty

2.- Morality

3.- ALIENS!

4.- The supernatural, I mean ghosts, spirits, all that mumbo-jumbo.

5.- The difference between "your" and "you're".
Perception of reality results in interpretation of reality which results in a deformation of reality.
Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:54 pm
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Political economics, that could be fun :twisted:
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:30 am
DarkchildeUser avatarPosts: 48Joined: Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:54 pmLocation: Athens, Greece Gender: Female

How about those:

• Formation of the Solar System
  • The birth of stars and planetary systems
  • Death of stars: from supernovae to neutron stars and beyond
  • The myths behind the constellations
  • Variable stars
  • Galaxy mergers
  • Any other topic on astronomy...
Snippets and Other Stories from the Net

Царь Славян wrote: My interpretation of the double slit experiment is simple. The EM radiation is passing through the both slits and thus is causing disturbance in the aether.
Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:17 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

When was the last show, exactly?
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:52 pm

The last show was last sunday. Well, it's not called League of Reason anymore, it's called Magic Sandwich Show.
(Which kind of makes me wonder if they'll still accept suggestions from this thread come to think of it.)
Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:55 pm

Oh, that one. I thought that the LoR show was still going and I had missed it. Yeah, MS was a good one, but do they actually look at what we write here?
Anyway, Eugenie Scott next time, should be interesting.

Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:07 pm
Next
 [ 22 posts ] 
Return to The Show