Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Topics for episode 4

[ 34 posts ] 
Topics for episode 4
DeanBlog EditorUser avatarPosts: 593Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 1:49 pmLocation: United Kingdom Gender: Pinecone

Post Re: Topics for episode 4

Prolescum wrote:
Laurens wrote:I'd agree that it can be answered in a single word, but perhaps the extent to which scientific illiteracy affects society could be discussed, and how to solve those problems?

Now that's more like it :)

Here's a title you coudl use: "The Crisis Of Scientific Literacy" ...

I concur with Laurens's suggestion.
~~L.N

“You ask ‘Is there any Florida?’ I’m inclined to answer ‘No.’ There is no Florida, there’s only this, this England, which nauseates my soul.” – DH Lawrence

انقلابی
About Us
Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:00 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5002Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Dean, honestly, that title is horrid... We're not a tabloid :D
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:09 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2950Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Prolescum wrote:Dean, honestly, that title is horrid... We're not a tabloid :D

How about:

EXPERTS SAY SCIENTIFIC ILLITERACY WILL CAUSE SOCIETAL COLLAPSE BY 2018
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:07 pm
DeanBlog EditorUser avatarPosts: 593Joined: Sun May 22, 2011 1:49 pmLocation: United Kingdom Gender: Pinecone

(No comment).
~~L.N

“You ask ‘Is there any Florida?’ I’m inclined to answer ‘No.’ There is no Florida, there’s only this, this England, which nauseates my soul.” – DH Lawrence

انقلابی
About Us
Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:51 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5002Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Dean wrote:(No comment).

I wasn't my intent to be mean... No matter how hard the fail, my intent is always, unless otherwise signposted, to be funny.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:06 am

Prolescum wrote:
Dean wrote:(No comment).

I wasn't my intent to be mean... No matter how hard the fail, my intent is always, unless otherwise signposted, to be funny.

I know, Prole. :) "No comment", was designed to signify the possibility that I could've made a rather silly comment, but I chose otherwise. :D

So is there any sort of agreement on the topic right now? :)
~~L.N

انقلابی
About Us
Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:21 am
CosmicJoghurtPodcasterUser avatarPosts: 808Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:59 pm Gender: Pinecone

Dean wrote:So is there any sort of agreement on the topic right now? :)

We're thinking free speech. The actual subtopics for discussion are being... well.. discussed.
Perception of reality results in interpretation of reality which results in a deformation of reality.
Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:14 am
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

CosmicJoghurt wrote:We're thinking free speech. The actual subtopics for discussion are being... well.. discussed.
Sounds interesting. Although there seems to be potential for someone to read out a summary of John Stuart Mill, have everyone agree, and the discussion is ended. Perhaps taking a look at the different justifications for limiting speech (slander, obscenity, offense, hate speech, ratings systems) and where the panelists think these limits apply could generate some disagreement?
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:38 am
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Aught3 wrote:
CosmicJoghurt wrote:We're thinking free speech. The actual subtopics for discussion are being... well.. discussed.
Sounds interesting. Although there seems to be potential for someone to read out a summary of John Stuart Mill, have everyone agree, and the discussion is ended. Perhaps taking a look at the different justifications for limiting speech (slander, obscenity, offense, hate speech, ratings systems) and where the panelists think these limits apply could generate some disagreement?

That's the idea!
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:49 am
ImprobableJoeLime TordUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

I'm just glad to see you guys making some movement. :D
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:15 am

Fuck me, Joe's back... Merry New Year!

Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:47 pm

Okies, we've had our production meeting, and we've decided to keep "The Crisis On Infinite Earths Of Scientific Literacy" on the back burner until we can formulate a great discussion around it. You can suggest it again in the episode 5 thread, adding anything you think might help get it off the ground (even offer yourself up as a panellist).

We'll be going with freedom of speech, and whether you believe it or not, we've certainly got some hot potatoes... watch this space! Well, not this space, the place where we'll... er, well, you know...

Allons-y!

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:20 pm
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4286Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:49 pm
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4286Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

The show is recording tomorrow evening GMT so if anyone has anything they'd like to add or see discussed (on the topic of freedom of speech) then let us know ASAP so we add it to the list.
Sat May 12, 2012 11:57 am
Previous
 [ 34 posts ] 
Return to The Show