Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

A defense of the South

[ 7 posts ] 
A defense of the South
calvinhobbeslikerPosts: 51Joined: Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:48 pm

Post A defense of the South

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-rev ... centReview

theyounghistorian, care to respond to this? Especially to his claims that New England did not contribute to "America" or that the North was trying to destroy the South?
Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:16 am
RichardMNixonUser avatarPosts: 1047Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pmLocation: USA Gender: Pinecone

Post Re: A defense of the South

If I can butt in briefly, my first note would be that the Morrill tariff was passed after SC seceded, so he's already manipulating the facts.

I'd counter with this essay I rather enjoyed, I may have first seen it in this forum: http://fuckthesouth.com/
"When I come to my own beliefs, I find myself quite unable to discern any purpose in the universe, and still more unable to wish to discern one." ~ Bertrand Russell
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure." ~ Dan Quayle
Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:50 pm

RichardMNixon wrote:If I can butt in briefly, my first note would be that the Morrill tariff was passed after SC seceded, so he's already manipulating the facts.

I'd counter with this essay I rather enjoyed, I may have first seen it in this forum: http://fuckthesouth.com/

LOL I liked it too.
Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:50 pm
ImprobableJoeUser avatarPosts: 6195Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:24 pm

This is evidence that right-wing racists have always been genius at re-writing history. Think about the Civil War, which the racists immediately renamed "The War of Northern Aggression".

That's why I have for at least the last decade or so referred to it as The War of Southern Treason. It is more accurate, and it spits in the eye of the racist revisionists. If anyone bothers to look up the state-by-state declarations of secession, you can see that the stated reason was slavery. Here's an example from the first state to secede, South Carolina.

Someone find me ANY-FUCKING-THING in the official reason for South Carolina to secede that has anything in the least to do with tariffs. The only mention of taxes comes in relation to slaves, and the main and really sole issue is slavery. That's it. Case closed. End of motherfucking story. So anyone who claims that slavery was a non-issue, or only a minor issue? Racist asshole, same as a Holocaust denier.
Come visit my blog! There will be punch and pie!
Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:51 pm
Anachronous RexLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 2008Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:07 pmLocation: Kansas City, MO Gender: Male

Without going into too much detail, there's a lot of butthurt historical misinformation pumped out by the ex-confederate states.

Take, for instance this notion of state's rights being their primary grevence. This certainly wan't the case a few years prior to the war when southern states forced nothern ones to become complicit in slavery by returning to them runaway slaves.

And I say this as someone whose family fought for the south.
Our prefrontal lobes are too small. Much too small. That's a problem of the birth canal, I'm very sorry to say for those that like their birth canals... tight.
-C. Hitchens.
Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:02 pm

Anachronous Rex wrote:Without going into too much detail, there's a lot of butthurt historical misinformation pumped out by the ex-confederate states.

Take, for instance this notion of state's rights being their primary grevence. This certainly wan't the case a few years prior to the war when southern states forced nothern ones to become complicit in slavery by returning to them runaway slaves.

And I say this as someone whose family fought for the south.

I love how they say "It wasn't about slavery, it was about state rights." when it was for the state's rights to promote slavery.
Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:35 am
DepricatedZeroChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1333Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 amLocation: Cincinnati, OH Gender: Pinecone

RichardMNixon wrote:If I can butt in briefly, my first note would be that the Morrill tariff was passed after SC seceded, so he's already manipulating the facts.

That site was a half hour of my life very well spent. Thank you.
Why does my life have to be so small
And death is forever
And does forever have a life to call its own?
Don't give me an answer cause you only know
As much as I know
Unless you've been there once
And I hardly think so

Green Day - One of My Lies
Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:04 pm
 [ 7 posts ] 
Return to Art, Culture & History