Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

New Age

[ 8 posts ] 
New Age
OptimisticAgnosticPosts: 2Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:44 am Gender: Tree

Post New Age

Just wanted to know your thoughts on New Age. It really seems to enlighten me when I listen. Just keeps one cool, calm, and collected. Would you say so?

I don't see why more people listen to relaxing music like New Age. It seems that everyone trying to maintain an "image" doesn't want to admit they like the music or that they have ever listened to it. I personally love all kinds of music, but just cant figure out why there aren't more fans of this genre out there.
Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:51 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5007Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: New Age

OptimisticAgnostic wrote:I personally love all kinds of music, but just cant figure out why there aren't more fans of this genre out there.

It doesn't involve the very simple musicology and ethnically imperical malengistes of a rhythmically radical yet verbally passé and temporally transcended lyrical content welded with historically innovative melodical material transposed and transmogrified by the angst of the Rutland ethic experience which elevates other artists from essentially alpha exponents of, in essence, merely beta potential harmonic material into the prime cultural exponents of Aeolian cadencic comic stanza form.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:10 pm
Duvelthehobbit666User avatarPosts: 1136Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:39 pmLocation: On a pale blue dot Gender: Male

Prolescum wrote:It doesn't involve the very simple musicology and ethnically imperical malengistes of a rhythmically radical yet verbally passé and temporally transcended lyrical content welded with historically innovative melodical material transposed and transmogrified by the angst of the Rutland ethic experience which elevates other artists from essentially alpha exponents of, in essence, merely beta potential harmonic material into the prime cultural exponents of Aeolian cadencic comic stanza form.

what? I don't understand.

"Beer, the cause of - and solution to - all of lifes problems" Homer Simpson

I have a blog now
Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:18 pm
RichardMNixonUser avatarPosts: 1047Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pmLocation: USA Gender: Pinecone

Prolescum wrote:
OptimisticAgnostic wrote:I personally love all kinds of music, but just cant figure out why there aren't more fans of this genre out there.

It doesn't involve the very simple musicology and ethnically imperical malengistes of a rhythmically radical yet verbally passé and temporally transcended lyrical content welded with historically innovative melodical material transposed and transmogrified by the angst of the Rutland ethic experience which elevates other artists from essentially alpha exponents of, in essence, merely beta potential harmonic material into the prime cultural exponents of Aeolian cadencic comic stanza form.

I'm not sure I agree. For one thing, this analysis of a formative as a pair of sets of features is rather different from an abstract underlying order. A consequence of the approach just outlined is that this selectionally introduced contextual feature is to be regarded as a parasitic gap construction. From C1, it follows that a case of semigrammaticalness of a different sort is, apparently, determined by problems of phonemic and morphological analysis. It must be emphasized, once again, that the natural general principle that will subsume this case delimits irrelevant intervening contexts in selectional rules. On the other hand, relational information is not to be considered in determining the strong generative capacity of the theory.
"When I come to my own beliefs, I find myself quite unable to discern any purpose in the universe, and still more unable to wish to discern one." ~ Bertrand Russell
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure." ~ Dan Quayle
Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:40 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5007Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

RichardMNixon wrote:
Prolescum wrote:

I'm not sure I agree. For one thing, this analysis of a formative as a pair of sets of features is rather different from an abstract underlying order. A consequence of the approach just outlined is that this selectionally introduced contextual feature is to be regarded as a parasitic gap construction. From C1, it follows that a case of semigrammaticalness of a different sort is, apparently, determined by problems of phonemic and morphological analysis. It must be emphasized, once again, that the natural general principle that will subsume this case delimits irrelevant intervening contexts in selectional rules. On the other hand, relational information is not to be considered in determining the strong generative capacity of the theory.

:lol:
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 3:42 pm
OptimisticAgnosticPosts: 2Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:44 am Gender: Tree

All very good insights...but not exactly what I was looking for.
Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:52 pm
RichardMNixonUser avatarPosts: 1047Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 pmLocation: USA Gender: Pinecone

OptimisticAgnostic wrote:All very good insights...but not exactly what I was looking for.

I know virtually nothing of New Age Music (to the point that I initially confused it with New Wave), can you give some representative examples? I looked at a few on youtube and they sounded like the music you hear when the phone is put on hold.

I like post-rock for ambient music.
"When I come to my own beliefs, I find myself quite unable to discern any purpose in the universe, and still more unable to wish to discern one." ~ Bertrand Russell
"If we do not succeed, we run the risk of failure." ~ Dan Quayle
Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:19 pm

As Tricky Dicky says, the first videos on youtube I browsed were pseudo-ambient techno. Some people consider the Ozric Tentacles new age, but going by the description in the OP, they're probably not.

Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:54 pm
 [ 8 posts ] 
Return to Music