Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Just how hard it is to learn computer programming ?

[ 8 posts ] 
Just how hard it is to learn computer programming ?
momo666Posts: 30Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:25 am Gender: Time Lord

Post Just how hard it is to learn computer programming ?

I intend to try and learn a programming language but this topic is so vast that I thought it would be good to ask for some directions.
Let me line up my questions clearly so there is no confusion:

1) What would be a good programming language to learn first ? I've been told it depends on what you want to do with it so the answer to that question would be apps, web and general PC programs.
I have also heard that once you've mastered a programming language, the others or at least some of them come off easily.

2)Once I've found the answer to 1, what are the steps I should follow? I was thinking to start with Java and if that is a good choice then caveofprogramming website seems like a good start.
I've heard conflicting answers as to how much it takes to reasonably master a programming language and I know it depends on a lot of factors but in the broadest parameters, what would be an approximate timetable ?

Please feel free to give as much of a detailed answer to 2 as you want. There are just so many resources and opinions out there, that is really hard to sort out the correct ones.

One important fact I should mention is that I am a complete beginner and while I can work my way around a computer, I have no knowledge of computer programming whatsoever.
Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:42 am
CollecemallPosts: 338Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:53 am

Post Re: Just how hard it is to learn computer programming ?

Like you I wanted to learn some things. Also like you I didn't have a background. I started with HTML, CSS, and then JAVA. All of which I picked up pretty quickly at: https://www.codecademy.com/

They offer a few other entry level programing languages. Easy to follow and forums for help if you get stuck.

I think you can go through all three of the above courses in 3-6 months if you spend a little time each day. If you have lots of time maybe even less. Just depends on how fast you learn and how much time you have.

EDIT: I've visited a couple of other sites as well. I ended up taking unrelated classes at www.coursera.org and www.khanacademy.org offered similar courses to codecademy so I didn't use them but you might prefer their layout etc. worth checking out to see.

coursera offers all sorts of subjects including math, science, history, computers, etc. I love their content and stay enrolled in something there almost all the time.
"Every man is a creature of the age in which he lives, and few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of their time."
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ~~Voltaire
Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:48 am
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2950Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

I think the difficulty level depends on how invested you are in it.

I enjoy coding, I find it hard sometimes, but because it is satisfying to me I stick at it for hours. I might spend 2 hours making code that doesn't work, and then willingly spend 2 hours fixing it.

If I wasn't that into it I'd probably give up and say it's really hard to code.
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:54 pm
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatar
Posts: 2954Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Greetings,

It's a case of horses-for-courses: depending on which language you're using, it can be easy or difficult to code for a particular task.

Languages are designed for different uses - Fortran for scientific, COBOL for business, to give two simple examples: trying to science with COBOL or business with Fortran is making life difficult for yourself!

Kindest regards,

James
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:20 am
DustniteUser avatarPosts: 518Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:11 pm Gender: Cake

Dragan Glas wrote:FORTRAN and COBOL

What year is this again? :D
"But this is irrelevant because in either case, whether a god exists or not, whether your God (with a capital G) exists or not, it doesn't matter. We both are, in either case, evolved apes. " - Nesslig20
Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:18 pm
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatar
Posts: 2954Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Greetings,

Dustnite wrote:

Just remembering the good old days when programmers had hairy chests - not to be sexist or anything... ;)

Kindest regards,

James
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:29 pm
EpiquinnUser avatarPosts: 93Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:54 pm Gender: Male

Dustnite wrote:

If you're good at COBOL, you're almost guaranteed to find work that pays well. COBOL isn't taught in schools anywhere anymore, but a lot of legacy systems depend on COBOL, especially in the banking industry. With the old professional retiring, there is an increased demand for programmers who know COBOL, and these programmers are not found among people graduating with an IT degree. People have been saying for decades that COBOL is about to go away, but it's not. Turns out it's not that easy to replace the old software with modern solutions.
Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:13 pm
SparhafocPosts: 1328Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Laurens wrote:I think the difficulty level depends on how invested you are in it.

This times a squillion. But I guess it's true of every learning enterprise.

My coding experience comes from trying to create programs on the spectrums, amigas and commodores of yesteryear, and basically knowing nothing more than that. However, whenever I've needed to code something, whether it be for a project, or for a game (running servers, for example), I've always found myself completely ensnarled, unable to sleep, eat, or function as a human being while trying to solve where that unexpected outcome originates. Must just try once more! :O

Glad I don't have too many reasons to try coding, or I'd need a life support machine.
Faith is not a desirable place to make claims from. It is belief in the absence or even contradiction of evidence. If you're going to do religion; learn how to do religion right.
Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:36 am
 [ 8 posts ] 
Return to Developers' Corner