Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

PHP

[ 14 posts ] 
PHP
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post PHP

Does anyone know of any good PHP tutorial books out there? One were I can easily learn to add my own code to CMS like Drupal and forums like this one (phpbb)?
"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:10 am
DepricatedZeroChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1333Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 amLocation: Cincinnati, OH Gender: Pinecone

Post Re: PHP

What's your background in software development?

There are a number of useful sites I can recommend, but I don't touch PHP often. The reason I ask though is that having knowledge of programming will help a lot. PHP is an almost fully featured programming language, so understanding standard programming concepts like basic design patterns and coding standards will be a big boon.

If you have no background in programming and want to dive in:
http://www.tizag.com/phpT/

If you have a basic understanding of programming and want a jump start for PHP:
http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/forum ... tutorials/

If you're a programmer - it reads and writes a lot like Java, just read over the API
http://php.net
Why does my life have to be so small
And death is forever
And does forever have a life to call its own?
Don't give me an answer cause you only know
As much as I know
Unless you've been there once
And I hardly think so

Green Day - One of My Lies
Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:17 pm
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

DepricatedZero wrote:What's your background in software development?

I have a little knowledge of php. This site I'm trying to build has a little php code already in it. I have my html headers and footers separated from the body and use the include function to attach it to the body. Other than that I'm a complete n00b. ;)

DepricatedZero wrote:There are a number of useful sites I can recommend, but I don't touch PHP often. The reason I ask though is that having knowledge of programming will help a lot. PHP is an almost fully featured programming language, so understanding standard programming concepts like basic design patterns and coding standards will be a big boon.

Thank you so much for the links. I will start with the basics and go from there.

DepricatedZero wrote:If you have no background in programming and want to dive in:
http://www.tizag.com/phpT/

If you have a basic understanding of programming and want a jump start for PHP:
http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/forum ... tutorials/

If you're a programmer - it reads and writes a lot like Java, just read over the API
http://php.net
Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:13 pm
DepricatedZeroChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1333Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 11:43 amLocation: Cincinnati, OH Gender: Pinecone

Right on! Not judging, it's just important to know your audience. I don't want to talk over your head, you know? Or toss out suggestions for methods you might not be familiar with.

I don't know what you use to write in, but if you grab a copy of Notepad++ you can get a PHP addon that will add autocomplete features to it for PHP.
Why does my life have to be so small
And death is forever
And does forever have a life to call its own?
Don't give me an answer cause you only know
As much as I know
Unless you've been there once
And I hardly think so

Green Day - One of My Lies
Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:21 pm

DepricatedZero wrote:Right on! Not judging, it's just important to know your audience. I don't want to talk over your head, you know? Or toss out suggestions for methods you might not be familiar with.

I don't know what you use to write in, but if you grab a copy of Notepad++ you can get a PHP addon that will add autocomplete features to it for PHP.

I use bluefish and thanks again. :)

http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html
Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:33 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatar

tuxbox wrote:
I have a little knowledge of php. This site I'm trying to build has a little php code already in it. I have my html headers and footers separated from the body and use the include function to attach it to the body. Other than that I'm a complete n00b. ;)

This looks like the beginning of Spaghetti code. Maybe it'd be worth trying to learn an MVC framework or at least use a template engine like Twig

Some PHP frameworks:

Frameworks are nice, they provide you with loads of components but this results in a bigger overhead in learning. It'd definitely be a good idea to familiarise yourself with the MVC design pattern, which is implemented by most of the web frameworks.

On the other hand, if you want to write plugins for a CMS, like Joomla, you'll have to learn the specifics of that give CMS. How to access database or how to render content using components provided by the CMS. (a CMS will still follow MVC pattern)
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:21 pm

WarK wrote:
tuxbox wrote:

This looks like the beginning of Spaghetti code. Maybe it'd be worth trying to learn an MVC framework or at least use a template engine like Twig

Some PHP frameworks:

Frameworks are nice, they provide you with loads of components but this results in a bigger overhead in learning. It'd definitely be a good idea to familiarise yourself with the MVC design pattern, which is implemented by most of the web frameworks.

On the other hand, if you want to write plugins for a CMS, like Joomla, you'll have to learn the specifics of that give CMS. How to access database or how to render content using components provided by the CMS. (a CMS will still follow MVC pattern)

Thanks WarK, I will check these links out. I really appeciate the help.
Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:29 pm

This has nothing to do with this thread, but could someone tell me the IRC channel LoR is on?
Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:31 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatar

tuxbox wrote:This has nothing to do with this thread, but could someone tell me the IRC channel LoR is on?

Network: irc.oftc.net
Channel: #lor

You can click "Chat" tab at the top of this page which should open the OFTC webchat.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:46 pm

WarK wrote:
tuxbox wrote:This has nothing to do with this thread, but could someone tell me the IRC channel LoR is on?

Network: irc.oftc.net
Channel: #lor

You can click "Chat" tab at the top of this page which should open the OFTC webchat.

It does, but I prefer to use irc software to connect, but mine doesn't have that channel, so I guess I wil have to use the chat tab. Thanks WarK.
Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:57 pm

I change my chat client and found it. :)
Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:03 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5000Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

What DZ said.

You're a GNU/Linux guy, right Tuxbox? Which client were you using that couldn't attach to OFTC?
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:31 pm

Yep, I run Debian. The client was xchat-gnome, but I just over looked OFTC. It was there all along. I'm using the non-gnome version of xchat now.
Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:45 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5000Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Ah, right, thought so. I installed that once. I remember finding the lack of comprehensive settings annoying.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:58 pm
 [ 14 posts ] 
Return to Developers' Corner