Page 1 of 1

Just how hard it is to learn computer programming ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:42 am
by momo666
I intend to try and learn a programming language but this topic is so vast that I thought it would be good to ask for some directions.
Let me line up my questions clearly so there is no confusion:

1) What would be a good programming language to learn first ? I've been told it depends on what you want to do with it so the answer to that question would be apps, web and general PC programs.
I have also heard that once you've mastered a programming language, the others or at least some of them come off easily.

2)Once I've found the answer to 1, what are the steps I should follow? I was thinking to start with Java and if that is a good choice then caveofprogramming website seems like a good start.
I've heard conflicting answers as to how much it takes to reasonably master a programming language and I know it depends on a lot of factors but in the broadest parameters, what would be an approximate timetable ?

Please feel free to give as much of a detailed answer to 2 as you want. There are just so many resources and opinions out there, that is really hard to sort out the correct ones.

One important fact I should mention is that I am a complete beginner and while I can work my way around a computer, I have no knowledge of computer programming whatsoever.

Re: Just how hard it is to learn computer programming ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:48 am
by Collecemall
Like you I wanted to learn some things. Also like you I didn't have a background. I started with HTML, CSS, and then JAVA. All of which I picked up pretty quickly at: https://www.codecademy.com/

They offer a few other entry level programing languages. Easy to follow and forums for help if you get stuck.


I think you can go through all three of the above courses in 3-6 months if you spend a little time each day. If you have lots of time maybe even less. Just depends on how fast you learn and how much time you have.

EDIT: I've visited a couple of other sites as well. I ended up taking unrelated classes at www.coursera.org and www.khanacademy.org offered similar courses to codecademy so I didn't use them but you might prefer their layout etc. worth checking out to see.

coursera offers all sorts of subjects including math, science, history, computers, etc. I love their content and stay enrolled in something there almost all the time.

Re: Just how hard it is to learn computer programming ?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 9:54 pm
by Laurens
I think the difficulty level depends on how invested you are in it.

I enjoy coding, I find it hard sometimes, but because it is satisfying to me I stick at it for hours. I might spend 2 hours making code that doesn't work, and then willingly spend 2 hours fixing it.

If I wasn't that into it I'd probably give up and say it's really hard to code.

Re: Just how hard it is to learn computer programming ?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:20 am
by Dragan Glas
Greetings,

It's a case of horses-for-courses: depending on which language you're using, it can be easy or difficult to code for a particular task.

Languages are designed for different uses - Fortran for scientific, COBOL for business, to give two simple examples: trying to science with COBOL or business with Fortran is making life difficult for yourself!

Kindest regards,

James

Re: Just how hard it is to learn computer programming ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 6:18 pm
by Dustnite
Dragan Glas wrote:FORTRAN and COBOL


What year is this again? :D

Re: Just how hard it is to learn computer programming ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:29 pm
by Dragan Glas
Greetings,

Dustnite wrote:
Dragan Glas wrote:FORTRAN and COBOL


What year is this again? :D

Just remembering the good old days when programmers had hairy chests - not to be sexist or anything... ;)

Kindest regards,

James

Re: Just how hard it is to learn computer programming ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:13 pm
by Epiquinn
Dustnite wrote:
Dragan Glas wrote:FORTRAN and COBOL


What year is this again? :D


If you're good at COBOL, you're almost guaranteed to find work that pays well. COBOL isn't taught in schools anywhere anymore, but a lot of legacy systems depend on COBOL, especially in the banking industry. With the old professional retiring, there is an increased demand for programmers who know COBOL, and these programmers are not found among people graduating with an IT degree. People have been saying for decades that COBOL is about to go away, but it's not. Turns out it's not that easy to replace the old software with modern solutions.

Re: Just how hard it is to learn computer programming ?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:36 am
by Sparhafoc
Laurens wrote:I think the difficulty level depends on how invested you are in it.


This times a squillion. But I guess it's true of every learning enterprise.

My coding experience comes from trying to create programs on the spectrums, amigas and commodores of yesteryear, and basically knowing nothing more than that. However, whenever I've needed to code something, whether it be for a project, or for a game (running servers, for example), I've always found myself completely ensnarled, unable to sleep, eat, or function as a human being while trying to solve where that unexpected outcome originates. Must just try once more! :O

Glad I don't have too many reasons to try coding, or I'd need a life support machine.

Re: Just how hard it is to learn computer programming ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:28 am
by Bango Skank
Python is easy to learn i heard and commonly used language. Other one is C#, but i'd start with Python.

Myself, well my area of interest would be indie video game developing, so i'm probably going to use custom programming language that is tailored for game makers.

Re: Just how hard it is to learn computer programming ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:42 pm
by Sparhafoc
Bango Skank wrote:Python is easy to learn i heard and commonly used language. Other one is C#, but i'd start with Python.

Myself, well my area of interest would be indie video game developing, so i'm probably going to use custom programming language that is tailored for game makers.


It's a generally good plan to use tools made for purpose.

I managed to get an introduction to the most well known programmer here - a borderline idiot-savant wizard coding professor with a nerd cult following in Thailand. I asked him what I should do if I were to want to get investment to produce a game. Basically, I wanted to look into the feasibility of any of his students being interested in and capable of building an engine. His response was pretty blunt: use Unity or Unreal. He said he'd built engines from scratch for all manner of things, but there's simply no point for a game when you have off the shelf options that can do whatever you want them to do and have years of compatibility history with existing operating systems and hardware.

So from that, it would seem that C++, C#, or Java... although I can imagine Python and SDL would be a good step into the process.

Re: Just how hard it is to learn computer programming ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:47 pm
by Bango Skank
Sparhafoc wrote:It's a generally good plan to use tools made for purpose.

I managed to get an introduction to the most well known programmer here - a borderline idiot-savant wizard coding professor with a nerd cult following in Thailand. I asked him what I should do if I were to want to get investment to produce a game. Basically, I wanted to look into the feasibility of any of his students being interested in and capable of building an engine. His response was pretty blunt: use Unity or Unreal. He said he'd built engines from scratch for all manner of things, but there's simply no point for a game when you have off the shelf options that can do whatever you want them to do and have years of compatibility history with existing operating systems and hardware.

So from that, it would seem that C++, C#, or Java... although I can imagine Python and SDL would be a good step into the process.


I actually bought highly recommended Unity and Unreal Engine 4 learning courses from Udemy recently. Unity uses C# which is easier to learn than C++ that Unreal engine 4 uses.

One big advantance with Unreal Engine 4 is the blueprint system (visual scripting, you connect nodes), which means you can make a game with practically no coding at all. Good for a starting solo developers like me.