Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Slavery in the bible discussion thread

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 26 of 26
 [ 509 posts ] 
Slavery in the bible discussion thread
Author Message
SparhafocPosts: 1895Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Slavery in the bible discussion thread

Oh I forgot your Sparhafoc, the mysterious non-atheist! Congratulations. Let me know when you have the balls to tell us about the mysterious God you think exists.

What kind of a pussy are you?


It's very telling that the three supposed Christians here are such fucking asshats when it comes to doling out their knee-jerk prejudice whenever they get their panties in a twist.

Unlike you, chap, I don't need the validation of thrusting my beliefs down other people's throats.

But as you feel like being a cunt, I'll return the favour by ignoring the rest of your post there and instead spend this post just mocking your vapid viciousness.

I'm not your pigeon, TNTD - just because you've got a pre-made pigeon-hole you're looking to fill.
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:08 am
SparhafocPosts: 1895Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Slavery in the bible discussion thread

Steelmage99 wrote:
thenexttodie wrote:
Well, sure Sparhafoc. The Bible does make many unvalidated claims. Some of which are extraordinary. I don't have evidence to give you for every thing in the Bible.


Well, then surely you should reject (or at least withhold belief in) the things that are "unvalidated".


Or even more importantly: not lend blind faith to
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:54 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 835Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Slavery in the bible discussion thread

Sparhafoc wrote:
Or even more importantly: not lend blind faith to


Well as a pointed out earlier in this thread ; As most wealth then would have been held by leaders of small kingdoms or tribes or by people who had a lot of cattle, there would have little opportunity for private business ventures or industry. God did free some slaves but he also did miracles to provide them with basic needs and many of the slaves he did free complained that they were better off being slaves.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Thu Feb 15, 2018 9:16 pm
leroyPosts: 1880Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: Slavery in the bible discussion thread

Steelmage99 wrote:
thenexttodie wrote:
Well, sure Sparhafoc. The Bible does make many unvalidated claims. Some of which are extraordinary. I don't have evidence to give you for every thing in the Bible.


Well, then surely you should reject (or at least withhold belief in) the things that are "unvalidated".


If your wife (or girlfriend ) tells you that she went to the doctor and then to work, would you simply trust her and assume that she is being honest, or would you reject (or at least withhold belief in) until you verify (with cameras and and eye witnesses for example) that she is being honest?


The point that I am making is that “faith” and “trust” are the same thing, we all trust in people all the time even if we don’t always verify the assertions and claims, I don’t understand why atheist view “faith” as something intrinsically wrong or dishonest.
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:28 pm
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 2994Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Post Re: Slavery in the bible discussion thread

Greetings,

Trust and faith are not the same thing: we trust people we know - faith is putting trust in someone/something we don't know.

Kindest regards,

James
Image
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:04 pm
leroyPosts: 1880Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: Slavery in the bible discussion thread

Dragan Glas wrote:Greetings,

Trust and faith are not the same thing: we trust people we know - faith is putting trust in someone/something we don't know.

Kindest regards,

James


To have faith simply means to trust, you may or may not have good reasons to have faith/trust in something.


The point that I am making is that to have faith is not intrinsically bad, dishonest or fallacious, you may (or may not) have good reasons to justify your faith.
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:12 pm
Steelmage99Posts: 185Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Slavery in the bible discussion thread

leroy wrote:
Steelmage99 wrote:
Well, then surely you should reject (or at least withhold belief in) the things that are "unvalidated".


If your wife (or girlfriend ) tells you that she went to the doctor and then to work, would you simply trust her and assume that she is being honest, or would you reject (or at least withhold belief in) until you verify (with cameras and and eye witnesses for example) that she is being honest?


The point that I am making is that “faith” and “trust” are the same thing, we all trust in people all the time even if we don’t always verify the assertions and claims, I don’t understand why atheist view “faith” as something intrinsically wrong or dishonest.


"Faith" and "trust" are not the same thing. That's why we have two different words - to convey different meanings.
Trust in a person that have earned my trust is simply reasonable expectations.
I also have a reasonable expectation ("trust") that my chair will hold me up while I sit.

Will I occasionally sit in a chair that will collapse beneath me?
Sure.....
Should I model my life around all (or even most) chairs collapsing beneath me?
No......

Faith in an entity whose existence is still very much in question is something entirely different than trust in a girlfriend.

Take the following statements;

A. "I have a pet gerbil"

B. "I have a pet dog"

C. "I have a pet rhinoceros"

D. "I have a pet dragon"

Leroy, you do acknowledge that they are qualitatively different statements, with corresponding different standards of evidence, right?


...
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:00 am
leroyPosts: 1880Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: Slavery in the bible discussion thread

Steelmage99 wrote:
"Faith" and "trust" are not the same thing. That's why we have two different words - to convey different meanings.
Trust in a person that have earned my trust is simply reasonable expectations.
I also have a reasonable expectation ("trust") that my chair will hold me up while I sit.

Will I occasionally sit in a chair that will collapse beneath me?
Sure.....
Should I model my life around all (or even most) chairs collapsing beneath me?
No......

Faith in an entity whose existence is still very much in question is something entirely different than trust in a girlfriend.

Take the following statements;

A. "I have a pet gerbil"

B. "I have a pet dog"

C. "I have a pet rhinoceros"

D. "I have a pet dragon"

Leroy, you do acknowledge that they are qualitatively different statements, with corresponding different standards of evidence, right?


...


All I am saying is that it is reasonable to trust (or have faith) in something if you have good reasons to trust it. In this particular case there are good resons to assume that you dont have a dragon, therefore there are good reasons not to trust you.

For example we cannot verify outside the gospels, that there was a criminal named “Barrabas” but given that the gospels do mention many different historical figures, whose existence has been verified, it makes sense to “trust” the authors of the gospels and trust that Barrabas was a real person.

Sure the burden proof is not the Christian, he is the one who has to show that there are good reasons to trust (have faith) in God, the bible etc.
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:02 pm
Steelmage99Posts: 185Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Slavery in the bible discussion thread

leroy wrote:
For example we cannot verify outside the gospels, that there was a criminal named “Barrabas” but given that the gospels do mention many different historical figures, whose existence has been verified, it makes sense to “trust” the authors of the gospels and trust that Barrabas was a real person.



And since the Spiderman comics repeatedly mentiones many different historical figures and locations , whose existence has been verified, it makes sense to "trust" the authors of those comics and trust that Spiderman is a real person.
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:02 am
Previous
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 26 of 26
 [ 509 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests