Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Jason Burns: invitation for Live ACADEMIC DEBATE

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 28 posts ] 
Jason Burns: invitation for Live ACADEMIC DEBATE
WalkingFishUser avatarPosts: 36Joined: Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:24 pm Gender: Male

Post Jason Burns: invitation for Live ACADEMIC DEBATE

Jason,

I am a Associate Producer for the New Covenant Group. Other than myself, we are made up of Christian theist. Dr. Michael Jones (founder) is a linguist who speaks all the languages the bible was written in (1st and 2nd Temple Hebrew and Koine Greek ). Bob Greaves (linguist / professor) New York Studio. Greg Brahe resident Biologist / Atheist and many more who I can arrange a debate / discussion with via Skype. If you have a person who you would like to debate Atheist or Theist outside of NCG circle, I can only send a request for their time for you.

The purpose of this invite is not to trap you or ambush you with biblical scholars, it is to have a conversation. If you prefer to have a debate with time limits and rules, that can be arranged. At the bottom you will find a link to the studios website and YouTube channel. I will work publicly as to the arrangements and terms via this thread. Personal contact information will exchange via private message.

Here are some of the people you may know we have had on the show: David Silvernan, PZ Myers, Eric Hovind and Sye Ten Bruggencate. All of who were hosted professionally and respectfully. We do not engage in personal attacks with guest on our show. We ask for mutual respect for all participants. Conversations are usually hosted with each participants having a live mic throughout the conversation, which means you will be able to interact at will. If you prefer a dedicated mic while speaking, we will proceed that way. The conversation will be broadcasted over our Ustream channel with comments open. It will be up to you if you choose to respond to viewer comments. If you would like to have someone with you for this we can easily accommodate that.

Finally, I would like you respond to this invitation via this thread so we can keep people who are interested in this conversation informed of the viewing details. This will be a productive conversation for all involved. If you decide NOT to accept this offer please explain the reason so that we can work out arrangements you would be more comfortable with. This invitation is open until further notice.

-Shawn
AP NCG

Web Site:
http://NewCovenantGroup.com/
YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/NCGStreamingArchives
Alt YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/user/theNCGstudios
http://www.youtube.com/ChristopherHitchslap
Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:00 am
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2952Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Jason Burns: invitation for Live ACADEMIC DEBATE

Really? Another thread?
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:56 am
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 2956Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Greetings,

A minor point, Jason...

[...] a linguist who speaks all the languages the bible was written in (1st and 2nd Temple Hebrew and Koine Greek ).

The Bible also included ancient Aramaic (Genesis 31:47; Ezra 4:8-6:18, 7:12-26; Jeremiah 10:11).

Kindest regards,

James
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:30 am
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4287Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

This what happens when you offer to debate Jason.

Unless he can dictate everything about the debate he's not interested. He does this because he is incapable of discussing anything honestly.

As, as stated in the previous thread, he is being ignored until he produces his full paper. If you wish to set up a debate with him, then I suggest you do it through YouTube.
Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:22 am
EngelbertPosts: 290Joined: Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:03 am Gender: Male

For what reason?

It's taken 3 months to produce an introduction to a short paper. I suppose if you arrange it today, you might get a short exchange around Christmas.
Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:11 am
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5002Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Proverbs 26:4

/thread
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:28 pm

australopithecus wrote:
As, as stated in the previous thread, he is being ignored until he produces his full paper. If you wish to set up a debate with him, then I suggest you do it through YouTube.

I understand. I posted here for preservation purposes and a place to point to when he claims he is being ran from.
Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:46 pm
HamsterPosts: 83Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:54 pmLocation: wisconsin Gender: Male

And the winner is......(drum roll) .... David silverman !!! or AronRa :? or Dan Courtney(?)

His terms are here > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvW9K_-MPv8

we will never get the rest of his paper now :cry:

:mrgreen:
Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:45 am

Jason,
I will do my best to contact the people you requested. In the mean time I would like to invite you to have a conversation with Dr. Jones on the accuracy of the Bible. This will be informal discussion but productive. You will be given a chance to share ideas among biblical scholars. This will allow us to have a reference to offer the people you requested and having a previous interview will give you a feel for how we work.

If you would like to increase the chances of us being able to obtain the requested guest then we need to focus on a topic that all can agree on. A topic that you should be familiar with, according to past videos, is the accuracy of the Bible. This topic is broad enough to allow lengthy discussion. Also we are looking for people who will defend Hell.

I want to remind you that these are highly qualified biblical scholars who who are on you're side theologically. At the start of every show that Dr. Jones makes he makes it clear that "This is The Place for intellectual, spiritual and scriptural honesty." Join us?

-Shawn
AP NCG
Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:47 am
tsarenvyPosts: 63Joined: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:01 am

Jason Burns wants a public apology to Sye Ten Bruggencate. An academic lecture, before Christmas, by Dr Jones on why Sye Ten Bruggencate's position is wrong. He wants three debates with the three people in the months he has stipulated. He wants two bottles of Malvern mineral water, in lieu of a £1000 fee. He will engage in a discussion with Dr Jones in September next year if all his other conditions are met.

In short, Jason is scared to have a recorded conversation with anyone (especially Dr Jones, who is his academic superior) and so has constructed a set of criteria that he KNOWS cannot be met (AronRa has repeatedly refused to debate Jason). He is getting better and better at masking his intellectual cowardice though. Kudos for that Jay.
Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:10 pm
ebilly99Posts: 7Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:22 am Gender: Male

Getting blocked I can feel it but had to say it. Jason will hate me for it

Why should we accept your debate. Even if we do you back out and claim victory. For a grown up you are a small person Jason. I taught my son to not change the rules once the game has started, And i refuse to play with cheaters. No one will ever debate you on anything. You are a sad small man, and this has nothing to do with your religion. You are a child and no one wants to play with you. Grow up and learn to play by the rules or get off of youtube. -c-
Reply ·

ebilly99 1 second ago
-c- Hundreds have asked to debate you, and you refuse calling people stupid. But you sir are the pinnacle of dumb. I used dumb and not ignorant because you don't want to better yourself. Even if I was a christian this would not change how I feel about you. You are to blame, You are the one causing your own problems. You are not the victim. GROW UP AND GET HELP
Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:17 pm
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4287Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

tsarenvy wrote:Jason Burns wants a public apology to Sye Ten Bruggencate. An academic lecture, before Christmas, by Dr Jones on why Sye Ten Bruggencate's position is wrong. He wants three debates with the three people in the months he has stipulated. He wants two bottles of Malvern mineral water, in lieu of a £1000 fee. He will engage in a discussion with Dr Jones in September next year if all his other conditions are met.

In short, Jason is scared to have a recorded conversation with anyone (especially Dr Jones, who is his academic superior) and so has constructed a set of criteria that he KNOWS cannot be met (AronRa has repeatedly refused to debate Jason). He is getting better and better at masking his intellectual cowardice though. Kudos for that Jay.

I warned WalkingFish by PM not 2 hours ago that this would happen.
Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:32 pm
ukandystreetUser avatarPosts: 11Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:01 am

tsarenvy wrote:He wants two bottles of Malvern mineral water, in lieu of a £1000 fee.

So this time he has quite literally bottled it! :lol:
Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:34 pm
malicious_blokeUser avatarPosts: 305Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:12 pmLocation: Proper Westcountry Gender: Male

ukandystreet wrote:
tsarenvy wrote:He wants two bottles of Malvern mineral water, in lieu of a £1000 fee.

So this time he has quite literally bottled it! :lol:

http://instantrimshot.com/

(and you got in before me lol. *salutes*)
[sarcasm ][/sarcasm ]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it
Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:47 pm

Jason,

I have watched the video you made criticizing the way NCG handled the interview with Sye. I encourage you to look closely at what happened on the show. Sye was invited to a discussion as a guest of Eric Hovind. Sye repeatably tried to derail the conversation multiple times before being called on it. He dismissed himself from the conversation stood up and walked off stage. While doing so he was told to get off the stage. After the show the person who called him out and Dr. Jones tried to apologize to Sye to which he resorted to more of the same tactic. Next week a 2 hour show on what happened.

As for the offer I made you about coming on the show. I must admit that I am confused by the claims you have made on you're behalf and the offer I made you. I figured that you were more than capable of holding a conversation on the Bible. As for the guest you want me to secure for a debate with you, please remember that everyone on the show is their voluntarily. We do not have subpoena power. All I can offer is a platform for you to talk among biblical scholars about what believe to be true about the bible. I am confused why any Christian intellectual would pass on this.

If I understand other demand correctly, you are asking for two bottles of water? Not sure if it would be worth mailing you 2 bottles of water as opposed to just recommending places near by that carry what you want. If you would like to come on the show and defend where Sye was going with his argument we will revisit that conversation with you. We need someone like you to to tell us where we went wrong so we can avoid it in the future.

Will you come on the show and defend Sye's argument or tell us what you think we did wrong in the interview? Will you come on the show and talk with Dr. Jones about where he is wrong? Will you join us for a casual talk about the Bible? I was under the impression that you defending the bible anytime anywhere would never be a problem. Am I wrong to assume this?

-Shawn
AP NCG

Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:16 pm
VivreUser avatarPosts: 351Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:05 pmLocation: dungeon of despair Gender: Female

Be prepared when meeting on Syes verbal tactics.

fsx23 - Sye Ten Bruggencate Called Out on His BS
Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:42 pm
CaptainAwesomeoh13User avatarPosts: 7Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:04 pm Gender: Time Lord

Honestly...this is just down right stupid. I've been watching Jay for over a year now, and it's been the same circle since. I think at this point, we should recognize him for what he really is, a poe. Jay is like a Michael Bay movie: we all know it's going to be bad, yet we go see it anyways. We are fascinated by how bad the movie is, yet we are some how drawn to it. That is Jay. When Jay shoots his mouth off claiming intellectual superiority over all, we are drawn to it. When we actually see what Jay is capable of producing- academically speaking- it's not that we weren't it expecting it to be good, but we are disappointed that it was bad. Does that make sense? Jay just keeps making demands that NOBODY in academia would bother entertaining considering the source. I think it is now safe to say that Jay only wishes to instigate the atheist community and rile us up and has no intentions of engaging in anything remotely close to academic. I think we should simply stop going to go see the bad movie.
Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:30 pm
ukandystreetUser avatarPosts: 11Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:01 am

CaptainAwesomeoh13 wrote:When we actually see what Jay is capable of producing- academically speaking- it's not that we weren't it expecting it to be good, but we are disappointed that it was bad. Does that make sense?

Yeah, I think know what you mean. I was one of those that initially egged him on to write his "paper" in the first place as I thought that it would be a good opportunity for him to clearly and concisely demonstrate what he believes and why. As the saga dragged on I tired of his shtick but stuck around because I felt obliged to at least read what I had asked him to write. After seeing the lack of care and attention that went into the introduction I can no longer justify indulging him any further.

CaptainAwesomeoh13 wrote:I think we should simply stop going to go see the bad movie.

Amen.
Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:16 pm
RationalPandaPosts: 5Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:58 pm Gender: Male

CaptainAwesomeoh13 wrote:

Honestly...this is just down right stupid. I've been watching Jay for over a year now, and it's been the same circle since. I think at this point, we should recognize him for what he really is, a poe. Jay is like a Michael Bay movie: we all know it's going to be bad, yet we go see it anyways. We are fascinated by how bad the movie is, yet we are some how drawn to it. That is Jay. When Jay shoots his mouth off claiming intellectual superiority over all, we are drawn to it. When we actually see what Jay is capable of producing- academically speaking- it's not that we weren't it expecting it to be good, but we are disappointed that it was bad. Does that make sense? Jay just keeps making demands that NOBODY in academia would bother entertaining considering the source. I think it is now safe to say that Jay only wishes to instigate the atheist community and rile us up and has no intentions of engaging in anything remotely close to academic. I think we should simply stop going to go see the bad movie.

No, it's more like a train wreck and we are waiting for it to explode.
Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:22 pm
CTAH19Posts: 7Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:32 am Gender: Male

WalkingFish wrote:Jason,

I have watched the video you made criticizing the way NCG handled the interview with Sye. I encourage you to look closely at what happened on the show. Sye was invited to a discussion as a guest of Eric Hovind. Sye repeatably tried to derail the conversation multiple times before being called on it. He dismissed himself from the conversation stood up and walked off stage. While doing so he was told to get off the stage. After the show the person who called him out and Dr. Jones tried to apologize to Sye to which he resorted to more of the same tactic. Next week a 2 hour show on what happened.

Shawn, explanation is not necessary. I would safely say that 99.99% of all who have actually watched the video would identify that Sye was being an obnoxious knob.

This leaves 2 possibilities either Jason is
1. Part of the 0.01% who cannot see that Sye was being a cock and therefore of no use to any rational discussion if he cannot distinguish shit from Shinola.
2. Never really watched the video in the first place and therefore is no use to any rational discussion since his preconceived views bear no relation to happens in reality.

On a secondary note how about getting back to ignoring Jason until his paper is published in full? I assumed he was publishing installments on a weekly basis. If he doesn't soon get his finger out and increase the publishing frequency, we'll still be waiting for the conclusions to his Earth shattering paper this time next year.
Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:54 am
Next
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  Page 1 of 2
 [ 28 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion