Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Vaccination, religion caused catastrophy

[ 6 posts ] 
Vaccination, religion caused catastrophy
Estheria QuintessimoUser avatarPosts: 67Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:36 pmLocation: EVE Space Gender: Female

Post Vaccination, religion caused catastrophy

Vaccination.

During the last centuries there have been many great medical breakthroughs.

However,... some religious folks do not use these human discovered breakthroughs.

The Risks?

That their children will die,... when some epidemic will happen. An epidemic as simple as the measles. Nobody these days has to die from it,... but if you never were vaccinated,... you may die.

But this is not a simple matter of faith. Adult non vaccinated humans walking around, cause a serious health risk to your children too young yet, to get the vaccination.

So while you want your kids to get vaccinated,...but they are to young yet,... mister religious 'Vaccination is against my faith' may be standing right next to your child's trolley in the supermarket,... and you wont know!
Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:54 am
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Post Re: Vaccination, religion caused catastrophy

Also see here and here.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:04 am
ldmitrukUser avatarPosts: 242Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:47 pmLocation: Edmonton, Alberta Gender: Cake

We're seeing the results of low vaccination rate here in Alberta also. The student the out break was traced back to attends the Coaldale Christian School, a private school run mainly by members of the Canadian Reformed Church. Now the Canadian Reformed Church has its root in the Reformed Church from the Netherlands. I did a little digging on the church and they apparently shun vaccinations.

So once again we have a case where religion is harmful to people not only to people of faith but those who are not part of the faith.

Just a quick edit to add a link Objections against vaccination and publication by The National Institute for Public Health and the Environment (RIVM) in the Netherlands. I just skimmed the document but it looks like it has good information on why the Reformed Church doesn't like vaccinations.
Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:18 am
australopithecusLime TordUser avatarPosts: 4347Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

I hear some religious folk don't wash their hands after going to the toilet.

:facepalm:
Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:58 am
DutchLiam84User avatarPosts: 382Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:27 pmLocation: Eurasian Plate Gender: Time Lord

Estheria Quintessimo wrote:Vaccination.

During the last centuries there have been many great medical breakthroughs.

However,... some religious folks do not use these human discovered breakthroughs.

The Risks?

That their children will die,... when some epidemic will happen. An epidemic as simple as the measles. Nobody these days has to die from it,... but if you never were vaccinated,... you may die.

But this is not a simple matter of faith. Adult non vaccinated humans walking around, cause a serious health risk to your children too young yet, to get the vaccination.

So while you want your kids to get vaccinated,...but they are to young yet,... mister religious 'Vaccination is against my faith' may be standing right next to your child's trolley in the supermarket,... and you wont know!

You must be from the Netherlands or Belgium!
Because last week we had our first casualty of measles because the girl didn't want to be vaccinated due to her religion. 17 years old, dead because of some goddamn fairy tale.
Nom...I bewieeeeeve....nom nom nom...I have faith in Eviwution
You can find me in Montreal, in a bitching arcade! I'm proud of my gun, and I pood in space!
Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:00 pm
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 3210Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Greetings,

australopithecus wrote:I hear some religious folk don't wash their hands after going to the toilet.

:facepalm:

You must be referring to the study - or was it just a report? - on British trains which showed that seats, etc, were covered in ... er, fecal matter due to people not washing their hands.

Kindest regards,

James
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:32 pm
 [ 6 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion