Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Did Antony Flew Actually Change His Mind?

[ 5 posts ] 
Did Antony Flew Actually Change His Mind?
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 3017Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Post Did Antony Flew Actually Change His Mind?

Greetings,

I came across this old-ish article, which makes interesting reading regarding Flew's "conversion" - or not, as the case may be.

The Turning Of An Atheist

Perhaps others are already aware of this but I found it enlightening.

Kindest regards,

James
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:14 pm
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Post Re: Did Antony Flew Actually Change His Mind?

Thanks for the article link, it was interesting to read about the history of that particular argument.

Personally, I've never been persuaded that you should adopt positions based on who believes them. Especially in the religion question where there's not much in the way of expertise to be had. What matters is rational arguments.
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:10 am
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 3017Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Greetings,

Agreed - I found it interesting due to the tendency of theists to trot-out Flew as a disproof of atheists claims: ie, if Flew has "seen the light", then "God" exists.

Kindest regards,

James
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:42 am
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2630Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Dragan Glas wrote:Greetings,

Agreed - I found it interesting due to the tendency of theists to trot-out Flew as a disproof of atheists claims: ie, if Flew has "seen the light", then "God" exists.

Kindest regards,

James

I've always figured that if "people changing their mind" was an argument for your case, then it would be atheists who'd have the most arguments to trot out.

Not that it's a good argument, but if theists bring it up, it's a good thing to throw back in their faces. (They will, of course, claim that any convert was never a true scotsm... I mean... christian to begin with, but ah well.)

And if theists want to point out Flew's intellectual level as something to go by, then one could always point out the fact that the majority of intellecuals and scientists are not christian, and that the higher the education level, the higher the frequency of non-belief.

Not that christians will accept such an argument from authority/popularity, even after making one themselves.

I've said for a long time that even if the christians turn out to be right about the existence of God, then it's not like we won't have an excuse (as they often say), but because pretty much all of their arguments were still wrong.
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215

The horse is a ferocious predator.
Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:20 am
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3430Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

I have seen creationists use Antony Flew before in my travels. They seem to forget that at the most what Flew accepted was a deistic god that created the universe and perhaps started life. I think everyone here has the right idea, for every atheist (Flew and Lewis) that theists can point to, atheists can point to countless examples (including themselves in most cases) that made the opposite conversion. Again, it does not matter, this is an argument from populist/authority, and I like to point out that logical fallacy when it is made. What matters if what can be demonstrated.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Tue Dec 31, 2013 9:33 pm
YIM WWW
 [ 5 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion