Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Pakistani man to die for claiming to be a prophet

[ 4 posts ] 
Pakistani man to die for claiming to be a prophet
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Post Pakistani man to die for claiming to be a prophet

A court in Pakistan has sentenced a British man to death for blasphemy for claiming to be a prophet of Islam. Mohammad Asghar, a British national of Pakistani origin, was arrested in 2010 in the garrison city of Rawalpindi, near Islamabad, for writing letters claiming to be a prophet, police said.

http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_articles/2014/1/24/pakistan-court-sentences-british-man-to-death-for-claiming-to-be-prophet-of-islam

Poor guy. Probably needs some serious mental health work rather than a hanging but I guess they're worried about a new religion starting up? We all know how much trouble those are.
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:22 pm
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 807Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Pakistani man to die for claiming to be a prophet

Just how can they tell that he is not a real prophet? Try to hang him and see if God intervenes? That's one plan that has serious downsides if he happens to be real. I mean they didn't believe Muhammad in Mecca for years and still tolerated him until he went rancid enough, and they still just deported him (if I remember correctly). Muhammad of course came back with a vengeance, literally. Maybe that's what are afraid of.

Besides why would God have a problem with a false prophet? He knows that he's real and that dude is out of his mind so why would he care? I always have problems who want to punish people for crimes against their god, partly because they admit that their god is either disinterested or impotent.
Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:18 am
nemesissUser avatarPosts: 1259Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:29 pm

if they were to do the same in America with all the televangelist, how much profit would walmart make on the sale of rope?
Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:44 pm
Dionysian GnosticPosts: 2Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:53 pm Gender: Male

Aught3 wrote:
A court in Pakistan has sentenced a British man to death for blasphemy for claiming to be a prophet of Islam. Mohammad Asghar, a British national of Pakistani origin, was arrested in 2010 in the garrison city of Rawalpindi, near Islamabad, for writing letters claiming to be a prophet, police said.

http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_articles/2014/1/24/pakistan-court-sentences-british-man-to-death-for-claiming-to-be-prophet-of-islam

Poor guy. Probably needs some serious mental health work rather than a hanging but I guess they're worried about a new religion starting up? We all know how much trouble those are.

Don't you have to "prophesize" something in order to be a prophet? Also, what specific prophecies did Mohammed make? I don't recall any... Not to mention he was supposed to be a prophet for the "people of the book" aka Jews and yet Jewish prophets are required to be... well... Jewish, right? So in my humble opinion, to summarize; this British man is as much of a prophet as Mohammed himself (peace be upon them). ;)
Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:59 pm
 [ 4 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion