Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

School Bible studies challenged (NZ)

[ 6 posts ] 
School Bible studies challenged (NZ)
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Post School Bible studies challenged (NZ)

Christian education in state schools is in the spotlight after a parent laid a complaint with the Human Rights Commission about bible lessons at an East Auckland primary.

Roy Warren, whose 5-year-old son goes to St Heliers School, says he complained to the principal about the 30-minute sessions but the school refused to cease the classes.

Families can opt out of the programme but Warren did not want to isolate his son.

"I thought it was very unfair to take him away from his classmates and get him sitting by himself colouring in and making him feel ostracised," he says.

"And then have to explain to him he hasn't been bad or naughty, but it's just against what we believe in as a family."

Warren appeared at a Human Rights Commission mediation this month with school representatives to try and find a solution.

Once again a reasonable compromise appears further down in the article. Some schools hold similar classes at lunch time with parents having to opt in their children rather than opting out. There's no state church in New Zealand, and religion shouldn't be coercing students in state schools.
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:58 pm
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Post Re: School Bible studies challenged (NZ)

Y U NO SAUCE? :P
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:39 am
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Inferno wrote:Y U NO SAUCE?
Oops :oops: here you go:

But really: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/9661863/School-Bible-studies-challenged
Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:32 pm

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/education/9707455/State-school-moves-religious-classes

A good outcome

Roy Warren, whose 5-year-old son goes to the school, was one of two parents who complained to the commission last month about the 30-minute sessions.

He said he got an email from the school on Monday saying the classes would be moved to outside school hours.

He was pleased with the decision and hoped other schools running similar programmes would follow this example.
Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:40 pm
HomunclusUser avatarPosts: 195Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 9:15 pm

Seems reasonable enough. On all sides really.

The school's initial position itself was reasonable, though I certainly can understand the parents position about the kid feeling like he is being punished.
Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:12 pm

Homunclus wrote:The school's initial position itself was reasonable, though I certainly can understand the parents position about the kid feeling like he is being punished.
I definitely prefer the outcome over the initial position. I don't think a specific religion should be taught to children using class time and resources, especially when it has the effect of excluding certain individuals. A comparative religion class or specific religion classes outside of school hours is much more acceptable to me. Especially in a country where we are supposed to have freedom of thought.
Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:58 pm
 [ 6 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion