Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Oklahoma Baphomet statue - yes, this needs to happen

[ 2 posts ] 
Oklahoma Baphomet statue - yes, this needs to happen
Aught3ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 4290Joined: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:36 amLocation: New Zealand Gender: Male

Post Oklahoma Baphomet statue - yes, this needs to happen

The Satanic Temple, a religious group based in New York City, on Monday unveiled their design for a monument they hope to erect at the Oklahoma Statehouse.

The 7-foot-tall monument would include a goat-headed Baphomet figure sitting cross-legged on a stone slab, flanked by two smiling children. The monument would also include quotes from poets Lord Byron and William Blake.

The group offered to donate a monument last month, after State Rep. Mike Ritze (R-Broken Arrow) and conservative Christians were allowed to erect a Ten Commandments monument on the statehouse grounds.

Lawmakers in Oklahoma, however, have insisted that the Satanists should not be given the same treatment as Christians.

“This is a faith-based nation and a faith-based state,” Rep. Earl Sears (R-Bartlesville) said. “I think it is very offensive they would contemplate or even have this kind of conversation.”

So after putting up one religious (and sexist) display the Christians don't want to add another one because it doesn't fit in with the 'cultural' identity of Oklahoma. I do recall the American constitution saying something about only establishing culturally popular religions so perhaps they are on to a great new argument. I really hope the Baphomet statue get to go up rather than the others taken down. As always, the answer to free speech is more free speech.
Wanderer, there is no path, the path is made by walking.
Thu Jan 30, 2014 12:18 am
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3430Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Oklahoma Baphomet statue - yes, this needs to happen

I saw this story and almost added it to my midweek link offerings. Whether they allow the Satanists to build their statue (and in extension accept all religious imagery) or remove all religious imagery is fine by me. The only problem with adding all religious imagery is that there is only a limited amount of space to place it all.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:07 am
YIM WWW
 [ 2 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion