Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

The Spread of the Five Major Religions

[ 3 posts ] 
The Spread of the Five Major Religions
tuxboxLeague LegendUser avatarPosts: 1172Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:05 amLocation: Vero Beach Gender: Tree

Post The Spread of the Five Major Religions

I hope this has not been posted before.

"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man." ~ Thomas Paine
Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:47 am
InfernoContributorUser avatarPosts: 2298Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:36 pmLocation: Vienna, Austria Gender: Cake

Post Re: The Spread of the Five Major Religions

Well, there are some obvious, glaring mistakes.

First, the whole "Jesus was crucified" and "Abraham was born" stuff is bullshit, since we don't know whether they lived at all. For the sake of argument let's assume they did.

Second, many of the small "spots" or "islands" of religion are incorrect. For example, modern South Korea is 29% Christian and 22% Buddhist, yet it's coloured in yellow for "Buddhist"? That makes no sense. The northern part of South America is shown to be Hindu, but the official records show it's mainly (88%) Christian. And so on and so forth.

Third, what about non-religious? Half the countries should be left blank as the majority of people there are agnostics, atheists or practice some other form of religion. This map is obviously biased in favour of the big five and gives a completely false picture.

In any case, the animation is interesting but misleading. It should have been made on a map, not a globe, that's GIS 101.
"Sometimes people don't want to hear the truth because they don't want their illusions destroyed." ― Friedrich Nietzsche

"I shall achieve my objectives through the power... of Science!" --LessWrong
Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:57 am
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2950Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: The Spread of the Five Major Religions

It's interesting to get a general idea of how the major religions spread.

Abraham being born is rather presumptuous. "Judaism originated" would have been more appropriate
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:31 pm
 [ 3 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion