Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Exodus? Hector Avalos takes on "new" documentary.

[ 12 posts ] 
Exodus? Hector Avalos takes on "new" documentary.
CollecemallPosts: 332Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:53 am

Post Exodus? Hector Avalos takes on "new" documentary.

Another apologist rehashes old arguments and Avalos tears them down. Pretty much standard stuff but thought some of you might find it interesting.

http://debunkingchristianity.blogspot.c ... ue-of.html
"Every man is a creature of the age in which he lives, and few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of their time."
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ~~Voltaire
Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:33 am
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3244Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Post Re: Exodus? Hector Avalos takes on "new" documentary.

Thank you for sharing that, it slipped by me. That tour de force, as John Loftus put it, is exactly why Avalos is my favorite biblical scholar. So much information placed online for free.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:19 pm
YIM WWW

James McGrath discusses this on his blog as well as referenced if you follow through the comments on Avalos's post. I found this quote at the bottom interesting

"Which is the greater miracle? Believing that God sent plagues and drowned soldiers? Or believing that God ensured that no one in Egypt made any mention of these occurrences and that no shred of tangible archaeological evidence would be left?"

Seems they win either way. Imagine that.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/exploringo ... xodus.html
"Every man is a creature of the age in which he lives, and few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of their time."
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ~~Voltaire
Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:42 am
thenexttodiePosts: 730Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Collecemall wrote:James McGrath discusses this on his blog as well as referenced if you follow through the comments on Avalos's post. I found this quote at the bottom interesting

"Which is the greater miracle? Believing that God sent plagues and drowned soldiers? Or believing that God ensured that no one in Egypt made any mention of these occurrences and that no shred of tangible archaeological evidence would be left?"

Seems they win either way. Imagine that.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/exploringo ... xodus.html

What a lame thing to say.
Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:25 pm

I know you are but what am I??? Neener, neener, neener.
Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:54 am

The Egyptians had a knack for Damnatio memoria. I'm not sure how you would expect them the have preserved a record of such events.
Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:05 pm

I think I've seen it said here multiple times claims without evidence can be dismissed without consideration. You sir are dismissed. Go troll someone else.
Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:41 am

Collecemall wrote:I think I've seen it said here multiple times claims without evidence can be dismissed without consideration. You sir are dismissed. Go troll someone else.

Well here's an article from the New York Times written in 2011 Erasing The Face of History

It begins with an explain of a Egyptian Court order to remove the names and images of their former president Mubarak and his wife from public squares, streets, libraries and other public institutions around the country, and then goes on to explain the significance of damnatio memoriae and how it was practiced by Egyptians in ancient times.

Here is a link to a wiki on Damnatio memoria, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damnatio_memoriae
Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:48 pm
Bango SkankUser avatarPosts: 149Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 amLocation: Finland Gender: Male

thenexttodie wrote:
Collecemall wrote:I think I've seen it said here multiple times claims without evidence can be dismissed without consideration. You sir are dismissed. Go troll someone else.

Well here's an article from the New York Times written in 2011 Erasing The Face of History

It begins with an explain of a Egyptian Court order to remove the names and images of their former president Mubarak and his wife from public squares, streets, libraries and other public institutions around the country, and then goes on to explain the significance of damnatio memoriae and how it was practiced by Egyptians in ancient times.

Here is a link to a wiki on Damnatio memoria, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damnatio_memoriae

Is there any evidence for attempted damnatio memoriae for the Pharaoh in the plague story?

Could be worth to check out. I would first pick up the most plausable candidates and then work from there.
"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise."
Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:35 pm
he_who_is_nobodyBloggerUser avatarPosts: 3244Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:36 amLocation: Albuquerque, New Mexico Gender: Male

Bango Skank wrote:Is there any evidence for attempted damnatio memoriae for the Pharaoh in the plague story?

Could be worth to check out. I would first pick up the most plausable candidates and then work from there.

Before you went that far, remember what James McGrath said.

James McGrath wrote:Which is the greater miracle? Believing that God sent plagues and drowned soldiers? Or believing that God ensured that no one in Egypt made any mention of these occurrences and that no shred of tangible archaeological evidence would be left?

[Emphasis added.]

It is not enough for the Egyptians to erase this from their records. They would have had to also follow the Jews to the Promised Land and pick up all their trash.
_BONES AND FOSSILS = LOVE_
(_'--------------------'_)
(_.--------------------._)
Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:09 pm
YIM WWW
Bango SkankUser avatarPosts: 149Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 amLocation: Finland Gender: Male

he_who_is_nobody wrote:It is not enough for the Egyptians to erase this from their records. They would have had to also follow the Jews to the Promised Land and pick up all their trash.

I agree, the whole story is full of problems.
"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise."
Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:21 pm

thenexttodie wrote:

Bango Skank wrote:Is there any evidence for attempted damnatio memoriae for the Pharaoh in the plague story?

For the Pharaoh? Lol. I wasn't even thinking about that. I was just thinking about Moses. Good idea.

I only ever saw the 1st 15 minutes of this Exodus doc, btw. But I'm guessing the main idea was that the Plagues happened shortly before Egypt was invaded by the Hyksos. Which does make sense to me. But If that was the case then perhaps the Egyptians might never had much of a chance to write any of this down in the first place, or to strike certain people or events from record. But we have almost nothing from that time period to begin with. So, who knows?
Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:36 pm
 [ 12 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion