Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 4
 [ 76 posts ] 
Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.
Author Message
thenexttodiePosts: 593Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Do you atheists think their will be a day when you are no longer an insignificant minority? Do you hope for a future where people will no longer celebrate Jesus's resurrection . If so, why?
I realize you most of you won't have time to respond right now because you are busy celebrating Jesus's resurrection with your families..
Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:37 pm
AkamiaUser avatarPosts: 63Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:41 pmLocation: Alaska Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Actually, Easter does not have its roots in Christianity. It's not really anyone's resurrection we're celebrating when we're celebrating Easter.

But I don't celebrate it regardless. Not because of Christians' association with it, but because I seldom celebrate holidays at all.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
The very thing that gives us humans our advanced cognitive abilities can also be our greatest weakness.
Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:17 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 522Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

thenexttodie wrote:Do you atheists think their will be a day when you are no longer an insignificant minority? Do you hope for a future where people will no longer celebrate Jesus's resurrection.

What if that's already the present?
Some of us are from countries where most people do not celebrate the christian myth.
But if that's any consolation for you, I know a couple of families however that are celebrating the chocolate-egg-laying-bunnies.
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" - A public information message from the League of Reason's christians
Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:21 pm
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2502Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

thenexttodie wrote:Do you atheists think their will be a day when you are no longer an insignificant minority? Do you hope for a future where people will no longer celebrate Jesus's resurrection . If so, why?
I realize you most of you won't have time to respond right now because you are busy celebrating Jesus's resurrection with your families..



Do you theists think there will be a day where won't be mocked for believing in a fairy tale about your zombie savior?

Seriously, for someone who believes in such primitive superstition, I'm not sure why you're taking on such an idiotically provocative tone.

Are you still actively looking to be banned or what?
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215


The horse is a ferocious predator.
Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:22 am
Steelmage99Posts: 124Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

thenexttodie wrote:Do you atheists think their will be a day when you are no longer an insignificant minority? Do you hope for a future where people will no longer celebrate Jesus's resurrection . If so, why?
I realize you most of you won't have time to respond right now because you are busy celebrating Jesus's resurrection with your families..


I already live in such a country.
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:51 am
Grumpy Santa
Online
Posts: 360Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:27 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

thenexttodie wrote:Do you atheists think their will be a day when you are no longer an insignificant minority? Do you hope for a future where people will no longer celebrate Jesus's resurrection . If so, why?
I realize you most of you won't have time to respond right now because you are busy celebrating Jesus's resurrection with your families..


Well, we're already not an "insignificant minority". Some countries already have majorities of religion-free individuals (Iceland is the first to pop to mind, in part because I'd love to visit there... volcanoes, fresh seafood, ... I digress...)

Personally I don't care about people celebrating resurrections or things like that. All I care about (with regards to religious "thingies") is that the religious respect that their particular mythology is not shared by everyone and attempting to force everyone else to be subject to their particular subjective religious-based moralities is, well, highly immoral and inappropriate. Worship whatever the hell you want, just don't try to require that I do or that I am subject to your beliefs or moral quirks.

Actually, we did have a nice Easter dinner with friends, but that was more "celebrating" getting together and opening his pool for the season. The whole "resurrection" thing doesn't make sense... if this Jesus fellow "died for our sins" but then came back to life doesn't that negate the whole dying in the first place? If we're still sinners, doesn't that mean the whole "dying" thing didn't work in the first place? Rather silly. The Pagans did Easter much better, celebrating new life in the spring, fertility, things of that nature. Rabbits, eggs, feasts, timing Easter to the lunar cycle, all these are pagan holdovers and show the lighter side of the holiday as opposed to trying to base it off of a human sacrifice that people actually think worked.
Scientists don't believe. They conclude based on evidence.
Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:11 pm
Grumpy Santa
Online
Posts: 360Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:27 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Gnug215 wrote:
thenexttodie wrote:Do you atheists think their will be a day when you are no longer an insignificant minority? Do you hope for a future where people will no longer celebrate Jesus's resurrection . If so, why?
I realize you most of you won't have time to respond right now because you are busy celebrating Jesus's resurrection with your families..



Do you theists think there will be a day where won't be mocked for believing in a fairy tale about your zombie savior?

Seriously, for someone who believes in such primitive superstition, I'm not sure why you're taking on such an idiotically provocative tone.

Are you still actively looking to be banned or what?


I have to object to this. This is a terrible thing for you to say. Jesus was not a zombie and I'm offended that you would imply such a thing.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/jesus-w ... .rkO9LLRwr

Jesus was a Lich.
Scientists don't believe. They conclude based on evidence.
Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:13 pm
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2502Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Grumpy Santa wrote:
Gnug215 wrote:
Do you theists think there will be a day where won't be mocked for believing in a fairy tale about your zombie savior?

Seriously, for someone who believes in such primitive superstition, I'm not sure why you're taking on such an idiotically provocative tone.

Are you still actively looking to be banned or what?


I have to object to this. This is a terrible thing for you to say. Jesus was not a zombie and I'm offended that you would imply such a thing.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/jesus-w ... .rkO9LLRwr

Jesus was a Lich.



Sacrilege! I declare war on you and your pagan cohorts!!

Ahem, well... clearly you're right on this. My bad!
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215


The horse is a ferocious predator.
Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:53 pm
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4259Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

thenexttodie wrote:Do you atheists think their will be a day when you are no longer an insignificant minority? Do you hope for a future where people will no longer celebrate Jesus's resurrection . If so, why?
I realize you most of you won't have time to respond right now because you are busy celebrating Jesus's resurrection with your families..


I was actually cleaning my spare room, but if that's now you get your rocks off to Jesus then fill your boots.
Image
Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:30 pm
leroy
Online
Posts: 1049Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Gnug215 wrote:
thenexttodie wrote:Do you atheists think their will be a day when you are no longer an insignificant minority? Do you hope for a future where people will no longer celebrate Jesus's resurrection . If so, why?
I realize you most of you won't have time to respond right now because you are busy celebrating Jesus's resurrection with your families..



Do you theists think there will be a day where won't be mocked for believing in a fairy tale about your zombie savior?

Seriously, for someone who believes in such primitive superstition, I'm not sure why you're taking on such an idiotically provocative tone.

Are you still actively looking to be banned or what?


Most atehist became atheist when they where stupid teenagers, choosing to be an atehist is not an intelectual decision, but rather an emotional one, Teenagers always challenge authorities, so challenging God is just part of the same rebellion.
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:31 pm
Bango SkankUser avatarPosts: 116Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 amLocation: Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

leroy wrote:Most atehist became atheist when they where stupid teenagers,


Well, it is a crucial age so it goes both ways, applies religious too.

leroy wrote:"choosing to be an atehist is not an intelectual decision, but rather an emotional one,"


Oh the irony. Majority of the reasons why people are christians are for emotional reasons, like fear of hell or desire to live forever in paradise with their loved ones.

Personally my reasons to not be a christian are both emotional and intellectual. I am not a robot.

leroy wrote:Teenagers always challenge authorities, so challenging God is just part of the same rebellion.


Then they arent atheists, just christians who are angry at God.
"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise."
Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:53 pm
leroy
Online
Posts: 1049Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Bango Skank wrote:
leroy wrote:Most atehist became atheist when they where stupid teenagers,


Well, it is a crucial age so it goes both ways, applies religious too.

leroy wrote:"choosing to be an atehist is not an intelectual decision, but rather an emotional one,"


Oh the irony. Majority of the reasons why people are christians are for emotional reasons, like fear of hell or desire to live forever in paradise with their loved ones.

Personally my reasons to not be a christian are both emotional and intellectual. I am not a robot.

leroy wrote:Teenagers always challenge authorities, so challenging God is just part of the same rebellion.


Then they arent atheists, just christians who are angry at God.


Granted, the same applies to Christianity and for most Christians,


my point is that whether if the worlds population of atheist increases or decreases, is irrelevant, for determining if atheism is true or not. And given that most scientists where already ether atheists or theist long before becoming scientists, they opinion of the mayority of scientists is also irrelevant, it would be interesting to see a poll that compares

atheist that became theist after becoming scientists VS theist that became atheist after becoming scientist
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:10 pm
Grumpy Santa
Online
Posts: 360Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:27 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

leroy wrote:
Most atehist became atheist when they where stupid teenagers, choosing to be an atehist is not an intelectual decision, but rather an emotional one, Teenagers always challenge authorities, so challenging God is just part of the same rebellion.


Well, I can't speak for "most", only myself, but as a lifelong atheist I don't see where you're coming up with this "emotional" explanation. But then again, I never "became" an atheist, I've always been one. Maybe someone else has an emotional story to tell...
Scientists don't believe. They conclude based on evidence.
Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:07 am
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2502Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

leroy wrote:
Gnug215 wrote:
Do you theists think there will be a day where won't be mocked for believing in a fairy tale about your zombie savior?

Seriously, for someone who believes in such primitive superstition, I'm not sure why you're taking on such an idiotically provocative tone.

Are you still actively looking to be banned or what?



Most atehist became atheist when they where stupid teenagers, choosing to be an atehist is not an intelectual decision, but rather an emotional one, Teenagers always challenge authorities, so challenging God is just part of the same rebellion.



How do you manage to pack in so much inanity into just one sentence? Ok, so it's actually two sentences with faulty punctuation, but still...

First of all, what the hell does your response have to do with my post?

Second, I'm not really going to disagree with your statement about most teenagers becoming atheists, because I assume it's probably true, but do you have any actual statistics on this?

Third, pertaining to the second, while I'm sure most atheists became atheist when they're "stupid" teenagerss, it's clear that most theists because theist when they were even stupider, more impressionable kids, being indoctrinated by their parents and surrounding society, so your argument is laughable.

Fourth, "choosing to be an atehist is not an intelectual decision, but rather an emotional one," now THAT statement is one that I'd challenge, and demand statistics for.
Fourth-point-two: The irony and ridiculousness of your post... Religion is based on emotion, not non-religion. Why do theists so often get things EXACTLY the other way around?

Fifth, there is a big difference between challenging an actual authority (parents, society) and then coming to the intellectual conclusion that another authority (God) doesn't actually exist at all, because there's clearly no evidence for it.
I'm sure that for many teenagers, it's the case that they start their road to atheism with anger towards God, but hey, as you say, even if it starts out as something bad, if it at least ends with something good, then it can't be all bad, right?

Sixth, as for me personally, I was never a rebellious teenager, and my parents were never really all that outwardly religious (although my surrounding society was), but I had long had entirely intellectual doubts, which were only held down entirely by emotional reasonings.
In the end, after many years, the intellect finally won.

Seventh, I gotta ask, seeing as you managed to concoct such a downright stupid, presumably emotionally driven, topically irrelevant post, what is it you're really trying to say here?
Are you currently in your teens, and struggling with nagging, intellectual doubts about your faith? Is your own teenage rebellion becoming directed at your personally revered childhood faith, and so you're having issues with this?

Eighth, I have no point here. Just think "eighth" is a hard word to say, so wanted to get it in there.
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215


The horse is a ferocious predator.
Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:17 am
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 666Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Yes I was in my teens when I realized that the word "atheist" was the most accurate description of my beliefs about godhood.

So what?

I was in my teens when I learned about gravity and relativity, nuclear decay and philosophy, whales and mushrooms, computer hardware and collision detection methods in virtual space systems. In other words I was in my teens when I learned probably more things than any other time in my life. By far most of those things I still think are accurate, my atheism included.
Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:30 am
australopithecusAdministratorUser avatarPosts: 4259Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 9:27 pmLocation: Kernow Gender: Time Lord

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

leroy wrote:Most atehist became atheist when they where stupid teenagers, choosing to be an atehist is not an intelectual decision, but rather an emotional one, Teenagers always challenge authorities, so challenging God is just part of the same rebellion.


So basically you're throwing teenagers under the bus to make a (awful) point? So are we to discount all life choices and decisions made when people are between 13 and 19? I made a decision to peruse a career in design when I was 15, is my degree now useless?

Congrats though, I've not seen such a stunning arbitrary display of disparaging the opinions of a billions of people just because of their age in a while. Well done you. You're a true Christian, for was it not Jesus in the gospel of Luke who said "Fuck kids, man. Bare wasteman, innit bruv"?
Image
Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:24 am
leroy
Online
Posts: 1049Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

australopithecus wrote:
leroy wrote:Most atehist became atheist when they where stupid teenagers, choosing to be an atehist is not an intelectual decision, but rather an emotional one, Teenagers always challenge authorities, so challenging God is just part of the same rebellion.


So basically you're throwing teenagers under the bus to make a (awful) point? So are we to discount all life choices and decisions made when people are between 13 and 19? I made a decision to peruse a career in design when I was 15, is my degree now useless?

Congrats though, I've not seen such a stunning arbitrary display of disparaging the opinions of a billions of people just because of their age in a while. Well done you. You're a true Christian, for was it not Jesus in the gospel of Luke who said "Fuck kids, man. Bare wasteman, innit bruv"?



No, all I am saying is that whether if the worlds atheist population is significant and growing in number or not is irrelevant to stablish whether if atheism is true or not. because being an atheist (or a theist) is usually an emotional decision that is made without even considering the evidence.
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:20 pm
hackenslashLime TordUser avatarPosts: 2199Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

leroy wrote:Most atehist became atheist when they where stupid teenagers


Really? How many of them have you spoken to?

choosing to be an atehist is not an intelectual decision, but rather an emotional one,


It's neither, not least because it isn't a choice. I could no more choose to believe your nonsensical masturbation fantasy, nor anybody else's, than I could choose to sing Nessun Dorma from my rectal sphincter.

Teenagers always challenge authorities, so challenging God is just part of the same rebellion.


To challenge this preposterous entity would require that it exist, a point very much not in evidence.

FYI, I've always been atheist.
Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:34 pm
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2502Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

leroy wrote:
No, all I am saying is that whether if the worlds atheist population is significant and growing in number or not is irrelevant to stablish whether if atheism is true or not. because being an atheist (or a theist) is usually an emotional decision that is made without even considering the evidence.



That was entirely not your point! This is your first mention of numbers being relevant to whether atheism is true or not.

And you're projecting your evidence-less, emotionally based world views onto others by making your claim.

Also, you avoided my previous post. Had you not done that, you could maybe have avoided repeating another vapid and inane post.
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215


The horse is a ferocious predator.
Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:02 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 4985Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

thenexttodie wrote:Do you atheists think their will be a day when you are no longer an insignificant minority?


Hahahaha! Hilariously put! Like the insignificant religious majority's worst fears, the inexorable rise of disbelief is pretty much unstoppable at this point; it'll take Gotterdamerung if not Ragnarok itself, I suspect.

Do you hope for a future where people will no longer celebrate Jesus's resurrection . If so, why?


I don't give a flying fuck whether you celebrate an angry god's desire to see lots of sheep's blood, some bloke with magic powers immaculately conceived in a galaxy far far away, or farting in a glass and drinking it to rowdy sing-along. I don't care about it except those circumstances where it encroaches on my freedom to not worship inane gibberish.

I realize you most of you won't have time to respond right now because you are busy celebrating Jesus's resurrection with your families..


You mean the ancient fertility festival? Nope. I don't celebrate religious anything. Not even Saturnalia. Neither do my family.


Looks like your attempt to poke at a supposed hypocrisy has backfired somewhat.


I suggest reading more than one book to gain a more nuanced understanding of human culture. Start with the Enuma Elish and work your way up.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:33 pm
Next
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 1 of 4
 [ 76 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: he_who_is_nobody, leroy and 6 guests