Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 4
 [ 76 posts ] 
Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.
Author Message
Nesslig20User avatarPosts: 208Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:44 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

thenexttodie wrote:Do you atheists think their will be a day when you are no longer an insignificant minority?


I don't have to wait. In my country the Netherlands, atheists outnumber the theists.
As of 2014: the following percentage of the population called themselves as the following -

25% Atheist
17% Theists
31% Agnostic
27% "ietsistic" translated into "Somethingistic". The vague proclamation of belief in "something", which doesn't really make any sense since we all believe there is something.

So here we already have about self-proclaimed atheists outnumbering the theists by 5 : 3.
However, the agnostic and the "ietsistic" don't believe in a god (thus technically counts as atheists) either so we have 83% that don't believe that there is any god as opposed to the 17% that do.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_ ... trouw.nl-4

thenexttodie wrote:Do you hope for a future where people will no longer celebrate Jesus's resurrection. If so, why? I realize you most of you won't have time to respond right now because you are busy celebrating Jesus's resurrection with your families


While most people in my country do "celebrate" easter, well not really celebrate it, it is a rather convenient excuse to get an extra day off work and do something fun, which in the majority of cases doesn't involve any religious sanctimony whatsoever. I went camping with my family. The "pagan" easter bunny has more influence on our celebration of easter since what we often do is have a breakfast with a sculpture (probably done with a mold) made of butter and bread that is shaped like a bunny like this:
Image
Though bear in mind, this doesn't mean we are pagans nor does it mean we believe that there really are Placental mammals that lay flamboyant eggs. It is just a fun tradition, and I don't bother anybody that goes to church if they want to.

Although, I do think that a bunny shaped bread is a more child-friendly and a less sadistic/masochistic way of celebrating a tradition, compared to having a bread shaped like someone being tortured or a zombie.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science."
Charles Darwin
Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:36 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 593Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Nesslig20 wrote: I do think that a bunny shaped bread is a more child-friendly and a less sadistic/masochistic way of celebrating a tradition, compared to having a bread shaped like someone being tortured or a zombie.


Yet you would admit you don't really know if God exists or not.
Mon May 08, 2017 6:57 pm
Grumpy SantaPosts: 361Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:27 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

thenexttodie wrote:
Nesslig20 wrote: I do think that a bunny shaped bread is a more child-friendly and a less sadistic/masochistic way of celebrating a tradition, compared to having a bread shaped like someone being tortured or a zombie.


Yet you would admit you don't really know if God exists or not.


You have to admit, if there were a god it would be possible for it to completely keep that knowledge from us and leave no evidence for its existence. That, however, coinciding with the absence of evidence we see today doesn't suggest a "hiding god" exists, it simply points to the lack of existence of one/any.
Scientists don't believe. They conclude based on evidence.
Tue May 09, 2017 4:26 am
thenexttodiePosts: 593Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Grumpy Santa wrote:
You have to admit, if there were a god it would be possible for it to completely keep that knowledge from us and leave no evidence for its existence. That, however, coinciding with the absence of evidence we see today doesn't suggest a "hiding god" exists, it simply points to the lack of existence of one/any.


This entire forum is evidence of God's existence. Haven't you ever wondered what your uncanny ability to identify a Biblical principal is the result of? You all know what to fight against.
Tue May 09, 2017 5:26 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 524Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

thenexttodie wrote:This entire forum is evidence of God's existence. Haven't you ever wondered what your uncanny ability to identify a Biblical principal is the result of? You all know what to fight against.

You are confusing "God" with Xao, the one true god.

You know that Xao exists, you simply deny its existence because you want to live a life full of sin.
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" - A public information message from the League of Reason's christians
Tue May 09, 2017 5:32 pm
Steelmage99Posts: 124Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

thenexttodie wrote:
Grumpy Santa wrote:
You have to admit, if there were a god it would be possible for it to completely keep that knowledge from us and leave no evidence for its existence. That, however, coinciding with the absence of evidence we see today doesn't suggest a "hiding god" exists, it simply points to the lack of existence of one/any.


This entire forum is evidence of God's existence. Haven't you ever wondered what your uncanny ability to identify a Biblical principal is the result of? You all know what to fight against.


Yeah. I mean, just look at the trees. :roll:
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Tue May 09, 2017 5:48 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 524Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Steelmage99 wrote:Yeah. I mean, just look at the trees. :roll:

They're also evidence of Xao. ;)
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" - A public information message from the League of Reason's christians
Tue May 09, 2017 5:49 pm
Grumpy SantaPosts: 361Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:27 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

thenexttodie wrote:
Grumpy Santa wrote:
You have to admit, if there were a god it would be possible for it to completely keep that knowledge from us and leave no evidence for its existence. That, however, coinciding with the absence of evidence we see today doesn't suggest a "hiding god" exists, it simply points to the lack of existence of one/any.


This entire forum is evidence of God's existence. Haven't you ever wondered what your uncanny ability to identify a Biblical principal is the result of? You all know what to fight against.


Never read the bible. Any "principles" I identify, if they're similar to something in the bible, are purely coincidental. Of course, I identify quite uncannily many that seem to go against the bible, such as slavery being bad, so what does that tell you?
Scientists don't believe. They conclude based on evidence.
Tue May 09, 2017 5:59 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 593Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Grumpy Santa wrote:Never read the bible. Any "principles" I identify, if they're similar to something in the bible, are purely coincidental.


Well lets start with sexually. Every Atheist on this forum will agree that it is good to pretend boys are girls. Right?

Grumpy Santa wrote:Of course, I identify quite uncannily many that seem to go against the bible, such as slavery being bad, so what does that tell you?
It tells me you quite willing to suggest a falsehood, as if God intended for us to enslave one another. It's not as if you are actually, actively fighting against slavery in order to defeat Christianity.
Tue May 09, 2017 9:04 pm
Steelmage99Posts: 124Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

thenexttodie wrote:
Grumpy Santa wrote:Never read the bible. Any "principles" I identify, if they're similar to something in the bible, are purely coincidental.


Well lets start with sexually. Every Atheist on this forum will agree that it is good to pretend boys are girls. Right?



Only in the same sense that every Christian agree that it is good to torture people.

Do you find the above statement overly simplistic and that it misrepresents the opinions of a lot of people?
Well, right back at ya, mate.

Keep in mind that every objection you can possibly present in opposition to my statement, I can use in opposition to yours.
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Tue May 09, 2017 9:26 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 524Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

thenexttodie wrote:Well lets start with sexually. Every Atheist on this forum will agree that it is good to pretend boys are girls. Right?

What does this means? Are you talking about that some agree that sex and gender are two different things?

thenexttodie wrote:It tells me you quite willing to suggest a falsehood, as if God intended for us to enslave one another. It's not as if you are actually, actively fighting against slavery in order to defeat Christianity.

You affirmed that slavery was quite OK.

Every christian on this forum agrees that slavery is ok. That's actually problematic as opposed to the issue your indoctrination-damaged brain has with gender.

A humanist's idea of OK: respecting the gender of someone
A humanist's idea of not-OK: owning someone as property

A christian's idea of OK: owning someone as property
A christian's idea of not-OK: respecting the gender of someone

To me, its quite clear which of the two is a piece of trash.
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" - A public information message from the League of Reason's christians
Tue May 09, 2017 9:30 pm
leroyPosts: 1052Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

MarsCydonia wrote:[Every christian on this forum agrees that slavery is ok. That's actually problematic as opposed to the issue your indoctrination-damaged brain has with gender.

A humanist's idea of OK: respecting the gender of someone
A humanist's idea of not-OK: owning someone as property

A christian's idea of OK: owning someone as property
A christian's idea of not-OK: respecting the gender of someone

To me, its quite clear which of the two is a piece of trash.




Once again MarsCydonia making claims judgments as if Objective Moral Values where real.............
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Tue May 09, 2017 10:50 pm
Steelmage99Posts: 124Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

leroy wrote:
MarsCydonia wrote:[Every christian on this forum agrees that slavery is ok. That's actually problematic as opposed to the issue your indoctrination-damaged brain has with gender.

A humanist's idea of OK: respecting the gender of someone
A humanist's idea of not-OK: owning someone as property

A christian's idea of OK: owning someone as property
A christian's idea of not-OK: respecting the gender of someone

To me, its quite clear which of the two is a piece of trash.




Once again MarsCydonia making claims judgments as if Objective Moral Values where real.............


No, he is not. You are an ignorant moron.

You yourself have readily accepted that it is possible to make moral judgements, without those judgements being based on the whims of a bloodthirsty primitive desert deity like Yahweh.

While I do not personally agree with the concept of objective moral standards, there are arguments and systems being presented that are objective - without the meddling of the concept of a peeping-tom in the sky.

Simply search for "secular morality" and start reading. Given the intellectual standards you continually display on this board, I have no hope that you will be able to comprehend any of the concepts presented though.

Of course, if you start from the completely unjustified position of; "morality can only come from my god - for whose existence I refuse to provide even the slightest bit of evidence - much less the justification for said morality" then you will simply remain ignorant.
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Wed May 10, 2017 3:45 am
Grumpy SantaPosts: 361Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:27 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

thenexttodie wrote:
Grumpy Santa wrote:Never read the bible. Any "principles" I identify, if they're similar to something in the bible, are purely coincidental.


Well lets start with sexually. Every Atheist on this forum will agree that it is good to pretend boys are girls. Right?


Sexually? Sexuality perhaps? (For clarity)

OK, you're crossing different wires here. Sexuality is simply who and how someone is, that's all.

"Pretending boys are girls"... that doesn't even make sense.

Grumpy Santa wrote:Of course, I identify quite uncannily many that seem to go against the bible, such as slavery being bad, so what does that tell you?
It tells me you quite willing to suggest a falsehood, as if God intended for us to enslave one another. It's not as if you are actually, actively fighting against slavery in order to defeat Christianity.[/quote]
[/quote]

Here in the U.S. there's no slavery to fight, although there seem to be those in the southern states that still wish there was. Besides, fighting slavery would have no effect on Christianity, it would simply end slavery if it still existed here. "Defeating" christianity is as ridiculously easy as it is insanely difficult. Simply don't teach it and instead teach purely based on facts, evidence, and sound scientific principles. Christianity isn't inane to anyone, it's the result of an indoctrination over years usually starting in childhood before reason develops.
Scientists don't believe. They conclude based on evidence.
Wed May 10, 2017 4:09 am
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2935Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

As I get older I give less and less of a crap about any sort of atheist utopia where religion has died out. In fact I kinda hope I never see that world, religion offers different perspectives and it would be awfully boring if everyone had the same outlook.

The one thing I do hope for is a world in which everyone accepts each others views without feeling the need to kill each other. This is something to strive towards, a world void of religion isn't going to solve that.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Wed May 10, 2017 9:19 am
Grumpy SantaPosts: 361Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:27 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Laurens wrote:
The one thing I do hope for is a world in which everyone accepts each others views without feeling the need to kill each other. This is something to strive towards, a world void of religion isn't going to solve that.



It wouldn't hurt, though.
Scientists don't believe. They conclude based on evidence.
Wed May 10, 2017 12:29 pm
leroyPosts: 1052Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:30 pm

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Steelmage99 wrote:
No, he is not. You are an ignorant moron.

You yourself have readily accepted that it is possible to make moral judgements, without those judgements being based on the whims of a bloodthirsty primitive desert deity like Yahweh.

While I do not personally agree with the concept of objective moral standards, there are arguments and systems being presented that are objective - without the meddling of the concept of a peeping-tom in the sky.

Simply search for "secular morality" and start reading. Given the intellectual standards you continually display on this board, I have no hope that you will be able to comprehend any of the concepts presented though.

Of course, if you start from the completely unjustified position of; "morality can only come from my god - for whose existence I refuse to provide even the slightest bit of evidence - much less the justification for said morality" then you will simply remain ignorant.


you don't understand, ...

sure there are godless moral theories that accept the reality of OBV, the problem is that Mars openly and unambiguously claimed that he doesn't accept OMV, therefore he shouldn't make judgements as if Moral Values where real.
"events with a zero probability happen all the time"
Wed May 10, 2017 2:04 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 524Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

leroy wrote:Once again MarsCydonia making claims judgments as if Objective Moral Values where real.............

Leroy once again making a moronic statement thinking he has it right.

leroy wrote:you don't understand, ...

sure there are godless moral theories that accept the reality of OBV, the problem is that Mars openly and unambiguously claimed that he doesn't accept OMV, therefore he shouldn't make judgements as if Moral Values where real.

Here's what you're too stupid to understand Leroy:
Nothing prevents someone who does not believe moral values objectively exist in a magical realm from making moral judgements or having moral values. Just because those are not magic, this does not mean they are not real.

And you'll keep on failing to understanding that.
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" - A public information message from the League of Reason's christians
Wed May 10, 2017 4:08 pm
Grumpy SantaPosts: 361Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:27 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

leroy wrote:
Steelmage99 wrote:
No, he is not. You are an ignorant moron.

You yourself have readily accepted that it is possible to make moral judgements, without those judgements being based on the whims of a bloodthirsty primitive desert deity like Yahweh.

While I do not personally agree with the concept of objective moral standards, there are arguments and systems being presented that are objective - without the meddling of the concept of a peeping-tom in the sky.

Simply search for "secular morality" and start reading. Given the intellectual standards you continually display on this board, I have no hope that you will be able to comprehend any of the concepts presented though.

Of course, if you start from the completely unjustified position of; "morality can only come from my god - for whose existence I refuse to provide even the slightest bit of evidence - much less the justification for said morality" then you will simply remain ignorant.


you don't understand, ...

sure there are godless moral theories that accept the reality of OBV, the problem is that Mars openly and unambiguously claimed that he doesn't accept OMV, therefore he shouldn't make judgements as if Moral Values where real.


Please note what Mars is saying, to reiterate the point, we make moral judgments and decisions based on our subjective moralities, not a mythical objective one. The differing opinions on slavery should be enough to demonstrate that simple little fact.
Scientists don't believe. They conclude based on evidence.
Wed May 10, 2017 4:44 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2935Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Post Re: Worldwide celebration of Christ's resurrection.

Grumpy Santa wrote:
Laurens wrote:
The one thing I do hope for is a world in which everyone accepts each others views without feeling the need to kill each other. This is something to strive towards, a world void of religion isn't going to solve that.



It wouldn't hurt, though.

Despite my negative opinions about organized religion, I think it would be a detriment to culture if religion was removed entirely. What a boring world it would be if everyone had exactly the same outlook.

I think religion certainly needs neutering on certain fronts. Its involvement with politics for one. And we need to move past sectarian violence etc. But once we reach that point I see no reason to "go the extra mile" and rid the world of religion completely.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Thu May 11, 2017 9:24 am
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 4
 [ 76 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests