Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Why ought I follow?

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 6 of 7
 [ 123 posts ] 
Why ought I follow?
Author Message
thenexttodiePosts: 731Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

MarsCydonia wrote:All these comments and still no reason why we ought follow.


Well, if God exists, than he would have the ability to better gather and correctly interpret data better than you, correct?
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:37 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 731Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

Do you understand what I am saying Mars? You might say God is wrong or that God is lying to us, but we have no reason to follow you.
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:42 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 752Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

thenexttodie wrote:Do you understand what I am saying Mars? You might say God is wrong or that God is lying to us, but we have no reason to follow you.

Do you understand what you are saying? You might say "God knows stuff" but we have no reason to follow because of that.
"Slavery is morally ok" -
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" -
Public information messages from the League of Reason's christians
Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:52 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 731Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

MarsCydonia wrote:Do you understand what you are saying? You might say "God knows stuff" but we have no reason to follow because of that.


No, If God exist, then he would have the ability to better gather and correctly interpet data than you do. Yes or no?
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:07 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 731Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

Did you forget your own OP?
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:08 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 752Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

thenexttodie wrote:No, If God exist, then he would have the ability to better gather and correctly interpet data than you do. Yes or no?

I'll repeat what I previously wrote, again, because my answer hasn't changed:
What makes this a good reason?
How does "he's really good at interpreting data" lead to "you ought follow him"?

Any scientist would understand reality better than you do. Which scientists do you follow?
"Slavery is morally ok" -
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" -
Public information messages from the League of Reason's christians
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:20 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 731Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

MarsCydonia wrote:
thenexttodie wrote:No, If God exist, then he would have the ability to better gather and correctly interpet data than you do. Yes or no?

I'll repeat what I previously wrote, again, because my answer hasn't changed:
What makes this a good reason?


Because He would have a better understanding of reality than you do.
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:53 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 752Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

thenexttodie wrote:Because He would have a better understanding of reality than you do.

I'll repeat what I previously wrote, again, because my answer hasn't changed:
I'll repeat what I previously wrote, again, because my answer hasn't changed:
What makes this a good reason?
How does "he's really good at interpreting data" lead to "you ought follow him"?

Any scientist would understand reality better than you do. Which scientists do you follow?
"Slavery is morally ok" -
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" -
Public information messages from the League of Reason's christians
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:54 pm
Steelmage99Posts: 150Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

thenexttodie wrote:
Atheists have a hard time understanding these things. An Atheist would say that since God told us to love our enemies that my wife should love her rapist while being raped.


Stop pretending you can read minds. You aren't very good at it.

Stick to speaking on what YOU think, feel or do.
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:59 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 731Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

What scientists do I follow? I don't know what scientists I follow.
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:01 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 731Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

Anyway I am glad you admit that God would not gain you as a follower just by simply coming to your door and maybe doing a few miracles.
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:05 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 752Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

thenexttodie wrote:What scientists do I follow? I don't know what scientists I follow.

So an admission that "better understanding of reality than you do" is not a reason to follow.

thenexttodie wrote:Anyway I am glad you admit that God would not gain you as a follower just by simply coming to your door and maybe doing a few miracles.

And I am glad you admit that Hitler would gain you as a follower if he did.


(Can't we get some quality christian trolls rather than these two?)
"Slavery is morally ok" -
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" -
Public information messages from the League of Reason's christians
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:14 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 731Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

MarsCydonia wrote:And I am glad you admit that Hitler would gain you as a follower if he did.


Oh, ok yeah, that's real smart Mars. Hitler would gain me as a follower if he came to my door. That's a great argument.
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:23 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 752Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

thenexttodie wrote:Oh, ok yeah, that's real smart Mars. Hitler would gain me as a follower if he came to my door. That's a great argument.

"God should gain you as a follower if he came to your door and did some miracles".
It isn't my argument, its yours.

But I disagree with you: it isn't smart, it's fucking dumb.
"Slavery is morally ok" -
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" -
Public information messages from the League of Reason's christians
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:26 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 731Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

MarsCydonia wrote:"God should gain you as a follower if he came to your door and did some miracles".
It isn't my argument, its yours.

But I disagree with you: it isn't smart, it's fucking dumb.


No dude, I think I tried to tell you before, you took this quote out of context. What you did by starting this thread is actually pretty hilarious really.
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:42 pm
MarsCydoniaUser avatarPosts: 752Joined: Fri May 16, 2014 4:15 pm

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

thenexttodie wrote:No dude, I think I tried to tell you before, you took this quote out of context. What you did by starting this thread is actually pretty hilarious really.

Glad you're amused.

On my end I'm disappointed that 6 pages in, the christians still failed to answer a simple question.

Disappointed they did not answer but not surprised that all they did is trolling.

Also a bit baffled why they would find the question "why should we worship god" hilarious.
I guess they're in on the joke that is their religion?
"Slavery is morally ok" -
"I don't know how the burden of proof works in the mind of atheists but I don't have to prove my claims" -
Public information messages from the League of Reason's christians
Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:46 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 731Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

MarsCydonia wrote:
On my end I'm disappointed that 6 pages in, the christians still failed to answer a simple question.

Disappointed they did not answer but not surprised that all they did is trolling.

Also a bit baffled why they would find the question "why should we worship god" hilarious.
I guess they're in on the joke that is their religion?


You win Mars ok. You are right. I am just trolling a thread you started based on a quote of mine which you totally took out of context. I will never be able to answer any of your questions because you are way too smart for me. You are the master of the internet.
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:55 pm
SparhafocPosts: 1059Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

thenexttodie wrote:Yes Christians are told to love and pray for their enemies. But its fine if someone for instance tried to rape my wife and she shot him in the head.

Atheists have a hard time understanding these things. An Atheist would say that since God told us to love our enemies that my wife should love her rapist while being raped.



It's no good pretending it's atheists who have difficulty understanding these things - many atheists here in particular were once Christians.

Clearly, given your last sentence, you find it difficult to understand these things too.
Of course I did not read the sources... (LEROY)

If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another. (Sagan)
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:47 am
SparhafocPosts: 1059Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

thenexttodie wrote:Well, if God exists, than he would have the ability to better gather and correctly interpret data better than you, correct?



Silly. If your particular God exists, then 'He' would not need to gather or interpret data, already knowing everything.

The moving target of belief.
Of course I did not read the sources... (LEROY)

If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another. (Sagan)
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:49 am
SparhafocPosts: 1059Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Why ought I follow?

Steelmage99 wrote:
thenexttodie wrote:Thank you.

Love without hating evil is meaningless. If I told you that I love your 5 year old son and then I told you I was also the loving the man while he was raping your 5 year old son, would you call me Omni-benevolent? (Sorry for the disgusting illustration, I hope this never happens to you)

Love demands Justice. Joshua put the king of Ai's body on a fucking stake. God held the sun in the sky so Joshua could finish killing certain people.

You will go straight to hell when you die. God will not be loving you while you are in hell. Do you think otherwise?


* Looks around *

Am I the only one that finds most of the above somewhat incoherent?



Incoherent, depraved... potato, potato.
Of course I did not read the sources... (LEROY)

If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another. (Sagan)
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:50 am
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 6 of 7
 [ 123 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 3 guests