Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Ancient Irreligion

[ 25 posts ] 
Ancient Irreligion
thenexttodiePosts: 731Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Ancient Irreligion

Sparhafoc wrote:I've requested that your attempted derail be removed because it's unfair that just because you dislike a topic that you think you can spoil it with ranting idiocy.

No, the common usage of the term atheist is not meant to convey deism.

Definition of atheism
a :  a lack of belief or a strong disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods
b :  a philosophical or religious position characterized by disbelief in the existence of a god or any gods

Source https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/atheism

You seem to find it witty to use an archaic definition of "Atheist" whenever it suits you. Did you honestly mean when you said theists claim atheism is a new or has always been an unpopular idea, that they are actually arguing against deism. Really? Stupid Theists are always arguing that Deism is a new idea? Is that the point of this thread? I think not.

No, you were trying to be sneaky and used the modern sense of the word "atheist" in your premise and then reverted to the term in archaic sense.

I caught you doing this, and now you are mad. Christians were once called atheists as well, mind you.

"Hence are we called atheists. And we confess that we are atheists, so far as gods of this sort are concerned, but not with respect to the most true God, the Father of righteousness and temperance and the other virtues, who is free from all impurity" - 2nd Century Christian
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:15 pm
Sparhafoc

thenexttodie wrote:No, the common usage of the term atheist is not meant to convey deism.

Can you stop trying to spoil this thread with inanity? Inanity where you think you've exposed some nefarious agenda that only you can see? In reality, you're just spoiling the thread because you can't bear to have your preconceptions challenged - so don't fucking read the thread if it hurts you so much.
Of course I did not read the sources... (LEROY)

If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another. (Sagan)
Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:45 am
Dragan GlasContributorUser avatarPosts: 2914Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:55 amLocation: Ireland Gender: Male

Greetings,

Xenophanes was a pandeist.

thenexttodie, Christians are atheists with regard to any other god(s).

Kindest regards,

James
"The Word of God is the Creation we behold and it is in this Word, which no human invention can counterfeit or alter, that God speaketh universally to man."
The Age Of Reason
Tue Aug 08, 2017 1:55 pm
Sparhafoc

And pandeist =/= theist

But it's just a way of derailing a thread TNTD doesn't want to exist.
Of course I did not read the sources... (LEROY)

If a human disagrees with you, let him live. In a hundred billion galaxies, you will not find another. (Sagan)
Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:05 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 731Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Dragan Glas wrote:Greetings,

thenexttodie, Christians are atheists with regard to any other god(s).

Kindest regards,

James

Yeah, that's my point. Thank you.
Tue Aug 08, 2017 9:54 pm
Previous
 [ 25 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion