Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

More than half in UK are non-religious

[ 11 posts ] 
More than half in UK are non-religious
SparhafocPosts: 1330Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post More than half in UK are non-religious

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41150792

Last year 53% of people described themselves as having "no religion", in a survey of 2,942 adults by the National Centre for Social Research.

Among those aged between 18 and 25, the proportion was higher at 71%.
Faith is not a desirable place to make claims from. It is belief in the absence or even contradiction of evidence. If you're going to do religion; learn how to do religion right.
Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:15 pm
ProlescumWebhamsterUser avatarPosts: 5001Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:41 pmLocation: Peptone-upon-Sores

Post Re: More than half in UK are non-religious

Sounds somewhat low based upon my anecdotal evidence. There are only two and a half Christians in my office*, no one in my social circle or family is religious**, and I can only think of a Mormon separated by four degrees***.

On the other hand, we all love old churches.

*of 20-odd

**or even agnostic on the matter, really. Self-selecting, I know...

***my girlfriend>her best friend>best friend's boyfriend>boyfriend's mother.
if constructive debate is allowed to progress, better ideas will ultimately supplant worse ideas.

Comment is free, but facts are sacred
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:07 pm

A branch of my family is evangelical Christian very influenced by propaganda outlets in the US, and they are desperate to drag their beliefs into every conversation. Consequently, my mother goes out of her way to ensure that they never meet me! ;)

Aside from that, I've got quite a few British Christian friends, but they're all the kind of Christians you'd never know were Christian unless you specifically asked them - i.e. they know how to do religion right.
Faith is not a desirable place to make claims from. It is belief in the absence or even contradiction of evidence. If you're going to do religion; learn how to do religion right.
Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:27 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Sparhafoc wrote:A branch of my family is evangelical Christian very influenced by propaganda outlets in the US, and they are desperate to drag their beliefs into every conversation. Consequently, my mother goes out of her way to ensure that they never meet me! ;)

So you are an embarrassment to your mother. Gee, you must be proud.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:12 pm

thenexttodie wrote:
Sparhafoc wrote:A branch of my family is evangelical Christian very influenced by propaganda outlets in the US, and they are desperate to drag their beliefs into every conversation. Consequently, my mother goes out of her way to ensure that they never meet me! ;)

Fuck off, TNTD.
Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:00 am
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2558Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

thenexttodie wrote:

Since you seem to have problems with reading comprehension, let me just spell it out for you:

It's not Spar that's the embarrassment to his mother, the crazy religious branch of the family are they problem. You know, the ideologically driven nutters, who let unfounded beliefs get in the way of family, akin to insane cultist behavior. You know? You know what I mean, right? Religion? That unrealistic, idiotic thing that no one has ever found any proof of? Which means it's really stupid for that to come in the way of real life interactions?

That's the embarrassment.
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215

The horse is a ferocious predator.
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:55 am

Exactly, Gnug215.

My mother would describe herself as a Christian, but she'd also admit - albeit under duress - to want to tell that branch of the family all the things she'd know I'd say if they tried shoving their religious infatuation down my throat as they do to her.

Far from being embarrassed of me, she's just too English, wanting to politely ignore their rudeness rather than confronting it.

But TNTD's response wasn't anything to do with reality - he was just trying to yank my chain for some reason. His last few posts have rapidly diminished my respect for him and explained why others here have little respect at all for him.
Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:45 am
Gnug215ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 2558Joined: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:31 pm

Sparhafoc wrote:Exactly, Gnug215.

My mother would describe herself as a Christian, but she'd also admit - albeit under duress - to want to tell that branch of the family all the things she'd know I'd say if they tried shoving their religious infatuation down my throat as they do to her.

Far from being embarrassed of me, she's just too English, wanting to politely ignore their rudeness rather than confronting it.

But TNTD's response wasn't anything to do with reality - he was just trying to yank my chain for some reason. His last few posts have rapidly diminished my respect for him and explained why others here have little respect at all for him.

TNTD is pretty much just left to chain-yanking and pointless provocation. There is no substance there. And that's just what you find when you peel off the thin veneer of religion.

Incidentally, this is probably why more than half of the UK is now non-religious: religion simply does not deal well with the harsh light of exposure. The more information we have available to us, the more we see what inconsistent crap it is.
I'm sure that plenty of people still crave religion, and are still feeling "spiritual" or whatever, but more and more, this seems to be revealed to be just a by-product of our biology, and so while religion will still linger on for ages, I think we'll see less and less of the big, organized religion we have today - at least in the current shape and form - because people see that you cannot really organize a "series of spiritual emotions" into some kind of divine truth. People are seeing through the bullshit of a codified set of rules and "truths" espoused from religious leaders.

And a final more theological note... Seeing as it is a clear and obvious truth that people are so very different, one would imagine that an all-knowing God would know this and realize that one all-encompassing religion/denomination would be impossible and unrealistic, so pushing for that is stupid. So I foresee continued fracturing, but not really a disappearance of individual faith.
- Gnug215

YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Gnug215

The horse is a ferocious predator.
Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:59 am

Gnug215 wrote: People are seeing through the bullshit of a codified set of rules and "truths" espoused from religious leaders.

I think, more than anything, it's the hypocrisy of religious leaders and of the most ardent believers that really pushes decent people away from it. I wonder if there's a vicious circle where less people in a religion shifts the balance towards that percentage of ardently religious, small-minded bigots hiding behind their religion to forward their disdain of their fellows, and consequently more decent people leave the religion, making it looks less and less appealing; a refuge only with crackpots and vicious hypocrites.
Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:34 am
thenexttodiePosts: 799Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Sparhafoc wrote:Exactly, Gnug215.

I am an emrassement to my mother also.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:06 pm

thenexttodie wrote:I am an emrassement to my mother also.

FIFY
Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:10 pm
 [ 11 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion