Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Propagation of Religion

Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 2
 [ 31 posts ] 
Propagation of Religion
Author Message
Bango SkankPosts: 216Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 amLocation: Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Propagation of Religion

thenexttodie wrote:You are refering to the time where Jesus sent out his disciples to heal the sick and to preach that the kingdom of heaven is near. This had nothing to do with converting people to Christianity.


Preaching the gospel has nothing to do with trying to convert people to christianity?

thenexttodie wrote:Sorry buddy, there is no such verse.


I'm pretty sure there was a penalty of not sharing the gospel.
"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise."
Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:56 pm
DustniteUser avatarPosts: 531Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:11 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: Propagation of Religion

thenexttodie wrote:Christians are not required to proselytize to non-Christians.


Matthew 28:19-20 NKJV
“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Mark 16:15 NKJV
“And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.'”

Psalms 96:3 NKJV
“Declare His glory among the nations, His wonders among all peoples.”


Unless you're saying there's specific instructions to not do this. Btw, aren't Christians always claiming the end is nigh? Also, there is a penalty for not doing so.


Ezekiel 33:2-9 King James Version (KJV)

2 Son of man, speak to the children of thy people, and say unto them, When I bring the sword upon a land, if the people of the land take a man of their coasts, and set him for their watchman:
3 If when he seeth the sword come upon the land, he blow the trumpet, and warn the people;
4 Then whosoever heareth the sound of the trumpet, and taketh not warning; if the sword come, and take him away, his blood shall be upon his own head.
5 He heard the sound of the trumpet, and took not warning; his blood shall be upon him. But he that taketh warning shall deliver his soul.
6 But if the watchman see the sword come, and blow not the trumpet, and the people be not warned; if the sword come, and take any person from among them, he is taken away in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at the watchman's hand.
7 So thou, O son of man, I have set thee a watchman unto the house of Israel; therefore thou shalt hear the word at my mouth, and warn them from me.
8 When I say unto the wicked, O wicked man, thou shalt surely die; if thou dost not speak to warn the wicked from his way, that wicked man shall die in his iniquity; but his blood will I require at thine hand.
9 Nevertheless, if thou warn the wicked of his way to turn from it; if he do not turn from his way, he shall die in his iniquity; but thou hast delivered thy soul.


1 Corinthians 3:12-15 King James Version (KJV)

12 Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;
13 Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.
14 If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
15 If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.


But then it depends on what type of Christian you are, which translation you use, and who you consider to have authority over scripture. I just don't think you've read your Bible.

thenexttodie wrote:Bango, why is it that gays portray themselves as being the most oppressed and victimized people in the world?


Why is it that Christians portray themselves as being the most oppressed and victimized people in the world?

What an utterly inane question you made next. Just come out of the closet already.
"But this is irrelevant because in either case, whether a god exists or not, whether your God (with a capital G) exists or not, it doesn't matter. We both are, in either case, evolved apes. " - Nesslig20
Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:49 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 889Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Propagation of Religion

thenexttodie wrote: You are refering to the time where Jesus sent out his disciples to heal the sick and to preach that the kingdom of heaven is near. This had nothing to do with converting people to Christianity.


Bango Skank wrote:Preaching the gospel has nothing to do with trying to convert people to christianity?


Healing the sick and preaching the kingdom of heaven was something Jesus told his disciples to do, during a specific time before Christianity came to be.

Probably you think that "preaching the kingdom" meant telling people how to become a Christian. It did not.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:53 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 889Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Propagation of Religion

thenexttodie wrote:Christians are not required to proselytize to non-Christians.


Dustnite wrote:Matthew 28:19-20 NKJV
“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”

Mark 16:15 NKJV
“And He said to them, ‘Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature.'”

Psalms 96:3 NKJV
“Declare His glory among the nations, His wonders among all peoples.”


Unless you're saying there's specific instructions to not do this.


Dustnite, God told Abraham to offer his son for a sacrifice. That does not mean we should infer that God wants everyone to offer our sons as sacrifices. It was for a specific purpose God asked Abraham to offer up Isaac at that time.



Dustnite wrote:Btw, aren't Christians always claiming the end is nigh?
So are atheists.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:26 pm
DustniteUser avatarPosts: 531Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:11 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: Propagation of Religion

thenexttodie wrote:Dustnite, God told Abraham to offer his son for a sacrifice. That does not mean we should infer that God wants everyone to offer our sons as sacrifices. It was for a specific purpose God asked Abraham to offer up Isaac at that time.


That's interesting, most Christians would infer from Genesis 22:1-19 we are to place blind trust in Yahweh's invisible plan through an impossible ethical standard that's actually harmful in most respects. That still doesn't dissuade from the fact that the Bible has instructions to proselytize and carries certain penalties for not doing so. Therefore, this is a non-sequitur.

thenexttodie wrote:Bango, why is it that gays portray themselves as being the most oppressed and victimized people in the world?


So next, when will you come out of the closet? Just taking a sampling of your posts here and you seem to have an unhealthy obsession with the male penis and the orifices it can put into. Perhaps it's time to move forward with your life? I'm certain many here will support your decision to be open about your sexuality, you don't need to be afraid to be honest with yourself.

thenexttodie wrote:So are atheists.


I assume this is a weak jab at anthropogenic climate change. The difference being is that climate change is based in the realm of fact and observation and the other are Christian evangelists trying to make money grabs. If this isn't about climate change, then I assume you've stretched some other topic to utter hyperbole.
"But this is irrelevant because in either case, whether a god exists or not, whether your God (with a capital G) exists or not, it doesn't matter. We both are, in either case, evolved apes. " - Nesslig20
Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:53 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 889Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Propagation of Religion

thenexttodie wrote:Dustnite, God told Abraham to offer his son for a sacrifice. That does not mean we should infer that God wants everyone to offer our sons as sacrifices. It was for a specific purpose God asked Abraham to offer up Isaac at that time.


Dustnite wrote:That's interesting, most Christians would infer from Genesis 22:1-19 we are to....


Do you know what most Muslims Buddists and Indians think as well, or are you only an expert in Christianity?

Dustnite wrote:...Therefore, this is a non-sequitur.
Well it shows us that, just because God tells one person or presumably a group of people to do a certain thing it does not automatically mean that God expects every person in the world to do the same thing.

Its a very simple concept really. I am not sure why you would have so much touble with it.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:55 pm
Bango SkankPosts: 216Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 amLocation: Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Propagation of Religion

thenexttodie wrote:Healing the sick and preaching the kingdom of heaven was something Jesus told his disciples to do, during a specific time before Christianity came to be.


Yes, and it was supposed to happen before his disciples had a change to visit all the cities of Israel, but it didn't happen.

thenexttodie wrote:Probably you think that "preaching the kingdom" meant telling people how to become a Christian. It did not.


The word christian didn't exist in the earliest years, so "a follower of Jesus" was a placeholder.
"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise."
Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:03 pm
thenexttodiePosts: 889Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Propagation of Religion

thenexttodie wrote:Healing the sick and preaching the kingdom of heaven was something Jesus told his disciples to do, during a specific time before Christianity came to be.


Bango Skank wrote:Yes, and it was supposed to happen before his disciples had a change to visit all the cities of Israel, but it didn't happen.


You're right, Bango. You are a smart guy.

thenexttodie wrote:Probably you think that "preaching the kingdom" meant telling people how to become a Christian. It did not.


Bango Skank wrote:The word christian didn't exist in the earliest years, so "a follower of Jesus" was a placeholder.


Not really.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:23 pm
DustniteUser avatarPosts: 531Joined: Wed May 27, 2009 9:11 pm Gender: Cake

Post Re: Propagation of Religion

thenexttodie wrote:Do you know what most Muslims Buddists and Indians think as well, or are you only an expert in Christianity?


More of an expert than you apparently. I am replying based off biblical scholarship (hence my qualifiers of most Christians). I am aware that your version of Christianity is very niche and has very little corroboration with current biblical scholarship yet you divulge non-sequitur like they are going out of style. However, if you want to claim authority of interpretion over the Quran, Bhagavad Gita, or Tripitaka I can show you how you're wrong there too.

thenexttodie wrote:Well it shows us that, just because God tells one person or presumably a group of people to do a certain thing it does not automatically mean that God expects every person in the world to do the same thing. Its a very simple concept really. I am not sure why you would have so much touble with it.


Again, non-sequitor. I don't have the problem with the concept that people interpret things in the Bible differently as you have clearly expressed in this thread. The fact that you're projecting your own failures of understanding onto me suggests you may be the one having "so much trouble" with the concept. The point was you spoke as an authority about what scripture means or how its supposed to be interpreted then balked when someone explained why your objection was invalid.

This is pretty much why I don't respond to you since you're a low effort troll that occasionally projects their hidden homosexual desires by being a homophobic asshat.
"But this is irrelevant because in either case, whether a god exists or not, whether your God (with a capital G) exists or not, it doesn't matter. We both are, in either case, evolved apes. " - Nesslig20
Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:10 am
thenexttodiePosts: 889Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2015 7:59 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Propagation of Religion

thenexttodie wrote:Do you know what most Muslims Buddists and Indians think as well, or are you only an expert in Christianity?


Dustnite wrote:More of an expert than you apparently. I am replying based off biblical scholarship (hence my qualifiers of most Christians). I am aware that your version of Christianity is very niche and has very little corroboration with current biblical scholarship..


The The World Council of Churches, Dustnite, is against proselytism and have called it a "corruption". It is made up of most Protestant and Orthodox chuches. The Catholic Church also is against proselytizing. Even Pope Francis has called it "the strongest poison against the ecumenical path"

The Roman Catholic alone makes up about half of the 2.5 billion world wide Christian population. And the amount of Protestant Christians is almost 1 billion or equal to 40% of all Christians world wide.
“..the simplest thing cannot be made clear to the most intelligent man if he is firmly persuaded that he knows already, without a shadow of doubt, what is laid before him.” Tolstoy
Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:03 am
SparhafocPosts: 2445Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Propagation of Religion

thenexttodie wrote:
thenexttodie wrote:Christians are not required to proselytize to non-Christians.


Bango Skank wrote: They are, ordered by Jesus to spread the good news. And if a place dont take those news, they are ordered to leave.

You are refering to the time where Jesus sent out his disciples to heal the sick and to preach that the kingdom of heaven is near. This had nothing to do with converting people to Christianity.

Bango Skank wrote:I also remember there being a verse that if a christian doesn't attempt to convert non christian, he will be punished in afterlife for it (sadly cannot remember the passage).


Sorry buddy, there is no such verse.



Matthew 28:19

And let's not forget that a term frequently translated as 'repent' in English is 'metanoeo', which means to change someone's mind, convince or persuade.

So perhaps some Christians sects don't feel commanded to proselytize, but it's clearly not true to assert that of all Christians.
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Wed May 16, 2018 2:56 am
Previous
Post new topic Reply to topic  Page 2 of 2
 [ 31 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests