Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Propagation of Religion

[ 3 posts ] 
Propagation of Religion
SparhafocPosts: 1653Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Propagation of Religion

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41981430

Indonesia's Orang Rimba: Forced to renounce their faith

The Sumatran rainforests of Indonesia are home to the Orang Rimba - the people of the jungle. Their faith and nomadic way of life are not recognised by the state and, as their forests are destroyed to make way for palm oil plantations, many are being forced to convert to Islam to survive.

An age old story of forced conversion.

Ustad Reyhan, from the Islamic missionary group Hidayatullah, has stayed to make sure the new faith is practised.

"For now we are focusing on the children. It's easier to convert them - their mind isn't filled with other things. With the older ones it's harder," he says.

"Before Islam they just believed in spirits, gods and goddesses, not the supreme god Allah.

"When someone died, they didn't even bury the dead, they just would leave the body in the forest. Now their life has meaning and direction.

As usual, the religionist acts as if their abhorrent behavior is unquestionably justified.

As usual, the religionist preys on the innocent and naive because mature minds are not so easy to fool or frighten.

As usual, when the religionist talks of purpose and meaning, they recognize only their beliefs as being so.
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:16 am
Bango SkankPosts: 180Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 amLocation: Finland Gender: Male

Post Re: Propagation of Religion

Ever heard that old song "Civilization" by Andrew Sisters? Cause that was playing in my head when i read that article.

So many people are so obsessed of the thought of living forever...and afraid of their own mortality at same time. I have witnessed that with my own eyes. Deep down they are fucking scared, so they are even ready to kill for even a slight promise of living forver in eternal bliss. It is really, really hard to feel any kind of compassion towards people like that.
"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise."
Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:51 am
SparhafocPosts: 1653Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: Propagation of Religion

Bango Skank wrote:Ever heard that old song "Civilization" by Andrew Sisters? Cause that was playing in my head when i read that article.

I hadn't heard of it before you mentioned it. Surprising for such an old song!

Bango Skank wrote:So many people are so obsessed of the thought of living forever...and afraid of their own mortality at same time. I have witnessed that with my own eyes. Deep down they are fucking scared, so they are even ready to kill for even a slight promise of living forver in eternal bliss. It is really, really hard to feel any kind of compassion towards people like that.

They want to get at the kids, because they in turn were got to as kids.
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:36 am
 [ 3 posts ] 
Return to Religion & Irreligion