Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Websites refuting Flat Earthers?

[ 20 posts ] 
Websites refuting Flat Earthers?
itsdemtitansBloggerUser avatarPosts: 696Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:36 pm Gender: Male

Post Websites refuting Flat Earthers?

Does anyone know of any websites that routinely deal with arguments from Flat Earthers, similar as to how Talk.Origins is an archive responding to creationism. I just found out there's a Flat Earther in my Chemistry Class and I might wanna challenge him on it in the future, so having a reference source would be nice.
Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:53 am
RumraketUser avatarPosts: 1006Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:49 am Gender: Male

Post Re: Websites refuting Flat Earthers?

Not worth it. Flat Earthers are mentally ill conspiracy theorists. They claim that all pictures of the Earth taken from space are doctored/photoshopped. This is the quintessential response of a conspiracy nutter: When the evidence runs against me, the evidence is fake.
"Nullius in verba" - Take nobody's word for it. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullius_in_verba
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:07 am
SpecialFrogUser avatarPosts: 827Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:13 pmLocation: Great White North Gender: Tree

I have personally circumnavigated the globe but I don't have a website.
"Life is nothing but an electron looking for a place to rest" -- Albert Szent-Gyrgyi
Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:26 pm
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 677Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Rumraket wrote:Not worth it. Flat Earthers are mentally ill conspiracy theorists. They claim that all pictures of the Earth taken from space are doctored/photoshopped. This is the quintessential response of a conspiracy nutter: When the evidence runs against me, the evidence is fake.

Indeed. Some youtubers do check their claims for lulz (Martymer81 comes to mind), but unlike creationists who might just be misguided, ilinformed or/and indocrtinated, flat earthers have to believe in a vast global conspiracy of truly majestic proportions and are, IMHO, what the medical community calls "nuts".

But all in all what you need to totally disprove flat Earth is two people, two sticks, two cell phones and willingness to travel to make the test done originally some 2500 years ago by Eratosthenes.
Mon Mar 21, 2016 1:45 pm
Steelmage99Posts: 132Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 9:43 am Gender: Male

Visaki wrote:..... flat earthers have to believe in a vast global conspiracy of truly majestic proportions.....

Yeah, it is always funny how the Flat Earthers keep talking as if NASA is the only space agency in the world.
If you bring that fact up, they always respond with; "Well, they are in on it" - without giving a single thought to how massive such a conspiracy would have be.

This is without thinking about how the foundation of such a conspiracy would have to have been established between the U.S.A and the U.S.S.R. - during the height of the Cold War.
Blunder that theists make all the time;

Pretending to know what other people think.
Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:45 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1169Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

Not about flat earthers but CoolHardLogic has an excellent playlist of vids debunking geocentrism.

Testing Geocentrism

The first video in the series:
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:07 pm
ldmitrukUser avatarPosts: 221Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:47 pmLocation: Edmonton, Alberta Gender: Cake

Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:55 pm
Bango SkankUser avatarPosts: 128Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:15 amLocation: Finland Gender: Male

Do these people believe that moon and other planets are flat as well?
"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield, and those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced, but one is less unwise."
Thu Mar 24, 2016 6:23 pm
CollecemallPosts: 324Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:53 am

These days you can do an experiment yourself with balloons, a gps, and a go pro for less than a thousand dollars. Sort of like this (there are probably thousands of these videos on youtube)
"Every man is a creature of the age in which he lives, and few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of their time."
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ~~Voltaire
Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:21 pm
ldmitrukUser avatarPosts: 221Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:47 pmLocation: Edmonton, Alberta Gender: Cake

Bango Skank wrote:Do these people believe that moon and other planets are flat as well?

I did some digging on this and found an interesting answer at the Flat Earth Society Wiki.

Rotoundity
Q. If the planets are round, why isn't the earth?

A. The earth is not a planet.

Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:20 pm
RhedUser avatarPosts: 260Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:01 amLocation: Currently on the sofa Gender: Male

itsdemtitans wrote:Does anyone know of any websites that routinely deal with arguments from Flat Earthers, similar as to how Talk.Origins is an archive responding to creationism. I just found out there's a Flat Earther in my Chemistry Class and I might wanna challenge him on it in the future, so having a reference source would be nice.

Hey itdemtitans - it's been awhile. How are ya? I had an experience just last week about someone who tried to convince me that the world was flat. I thought that was put to rest centuries ago. Below is a good website that refutes the flat earthers:

https://answersingenesis.org/astronomy/ ... arth-flat/
If evolution was in the newspaper, it would be in the funnies
Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:12 am
itsdemtitansBloggerUser avatarPosts: 696Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:36 pm Gender: Male

Rhed wrote:
itsdemtitans wrote:Does anyone know of any websites that routinely deal with arguments from Flat Earthers, similar as to how Talk.Origins is an archive responding to creationism. I just found out there's a Flat Earther in my Chemistry Class and I might wanna challenge him on it in the future, so having a reference source would be nice.

Hey itdemtitans - it's been awhile. How are ya? I had an experience just last week about someone who tried to convince me that the world was flat. I thought that was put to rest centuries ago. Below is a good website that refutes the flat earthers:

Hi Rhed,

Normally I'd be tempted to make a snarky remark about using AiG, but that's actually probably a good one to have. I talked to the guy a few weeks ago and and he believes in a flat earth because of certain bible verses and is convinced anyone trying to prove otherwise is out to disprove the bible. But I think it'd be hard to say that about AiG.
Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:32 am
RhedUser avatarPosts: 260Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:01 amLocation: Currently on the sofa Gender: Male

Rhed wrote:Hey itdemtitans - it's been awhile. How are ya? I had an experience just last week about someone who tried to convince me that the world was flat. I thought that was put to rest centuries ago. Below is a good website that refutes the flat earthers:

itsdemtitans wrote:Hi Rhed,

Normally I'd be tempted to make a snarky remark about using AiG, but that's actually probably a good one to have. I talked to the guy a few weeks ago and and he believes in a flat earth because of certain bible verses and is convinced anyone trying to prove otherwise is out to disprove the bible. But I think it'd be hard to say that about AiG.

Lol...I can't lie, I used AiG because it is a Creation's website. But it is a good one. I was confronted last week about a person believing in the flat earth. I thought the person was kidding, but man was I wrong. We debated over 3 hours but I just became exhausted. Everything was fake to this person; i.e. photos of the globe, rotation of the stars (clockwise and counterclockwise), even to point where even our circular moon and all of the planets in our solar system. I gave up, but I pointed this person to AiG because I thought it was factual and comprehensive to even a layperson.
Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:44 pm

Rumraket wrote:Not worth it. Flat Earthers are mentally ill conspiracy theorists. They claim that all pictures of the Earth taken from space are doctored/photoshopped. This is the quintessential response of a conspiracy nutter: When the evidence runs against me, the evidence is fake.

I never thought I would ever agree with you but you are spot on. The person I was debating was what exactly what you said, "conspiracy nutter". Not only was the earth flat, but we didn't land on the moon, all terrorists attacks and school shootings, etc are all staged. I know this person listens to a lot of Alex Jones. Crazy.
Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:48 pm

Rhed wrote:I was confronted last week about a person believing in the flat earth. I thought the person was kidding, but man was I wrong. We debated over 3 hours but I just became exhausted. Everything was fake to this person; i.e. photos of the globe, rotation of the stars (clockwise and counterclockwise), even to point where even our circular moon and all of the planets in our solar system. I gave up, but I pointed this person to AiG because I thought it was factual and comprehensive to even a layperson.

It's really incredible to watch how these people think. Everything is a lie to them. Because "teh ebil guvverment" obviously must have a good reason to lie to the world about the shape of the Earth, even when there's no possible motive behind that.

It's the same thing with Apollo deniers. Nevermind that civilians have been known to find old Saturn 5 pieces in the ocean, or see the S-4B stages in orbit around the Earth in their telescopes, these facts don't bother them. If they have to believe that NASA dumped old, damaged rocked stages in the Atlantic, they will.
Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:39 pm
LaurensSocial EditorUser avatarPosts: 2948Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 11:24 pmLocation: Norwich UK Gender: Male

Part of me hopes that flat earthers are just trolling, but having had the experience of talking with one I'm not so sure.

I find it baffling. At least with other conspiracy theories you have some idea of the motive behind the cover up. But why in the hell would "they" convince everyone that the planet is a different shape? If it turned out to be flat it wouldn't really affect my day to day life or the geopolitical landscape... so why the fuck would they bother?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
Like the League of Reason on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter

Shameless Self-Promotion
Listen to my music on Soundcloud
Like my music page on Facebook
Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:54 pm
CollecemallPosts: 324Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:53 am

And here I was thinking AIG was completely useless other than for comedy. This might be the one topic they write about where they don't have to actually lie about the subject matter. Interesting.
"Every man is a creature of the age in which he lives, and few are able to raise themselves above the ideas of their time."
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ~~Voltaire
Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:39 pm
WarKChat ModeratorUser avatarPosts: 1169Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:59 am Gender: Tree

AIG claiming that Earth isn't flat? Maybe falteartheres really are onto something? :lol:
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:16 pm
hackenslashLime TordUser avatarPosts: 2204Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm Gender: Cake

All the useful science can be found HERE, along with much merriment.
Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:38 pm
VisakiUser avatarPosts: 677Joined: Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:26 pmLocation: Helsinki, Finland Gender: Male

Martymer just released the following. Hate male from people who believe the Earth is flat and don't like that Martymer debunks their beliefs. Though it has no real scientific value it's all for the lulz.

Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:39 am
 [ 20 posts ] 
Return to Science & Mathematics