Elsewhere on the internet...

The League of Reason has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

While I Was Away...

[ 146 posts ] 
While I Was Away...
SparhafocPosts: 1649Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Post Re: While I Was Away...

hackenslash wrote:....Sophie's World...

I was really surprised by this book. It was on the shelf of the house I was living in a couple of decades back in Italy. I assumed it was a kids' book initially, but when I ran out of things to read, I picked it up and was completely engrossed.

hackenslash wrote:Oh, read Republic and some bits and bots of Aristotle, as well.

Anything from the ancient world, I've read. I was on course for a degree in Classics at Oxford (unconditional offer) when I realised that was not going to be fun! :D

I'll have to see if I can brave A History of Western Philosophy - it was an optional book on my course many years ago, but I recall it being large and unwieldy and I never got round to reading it.
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:11 am
hackenslashLime TordUser avatarPosts: 2393Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm Gender: Cake

It's very good. It's pretty much Sophie's World for the stern of constitution.
Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:32 am
hackenslashLime TordUser avatarPosts: 2393Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:43 pm Gender: Cake

Launched a new section of the blog, essentially a frequently-asked questions section, entitled FAAAAAAAAAAA Q! (just my little joke). It will mostly consist of short, sharp rebuttals to common apologetic arguments.

I've populated it thus far with some bits and pieces.

Hack's Top Tips for Debating Sceptics

Why Are There Still Apes

Memes, Demotivationals and Funnies

Public Service Announcements - these are something I've been doing on Twitter for quite a long time, and I get good feedback for them.
Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:51 am

New blog post: There's a Hole in my Model

http://www.hackenslash.co.uk/2017/12/th ... model.html

A look at a recent discovery of something that shouldn't exist.
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:59 pm
SparhafocPosts: 1649Joined: Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:48 am

Great quote there, and surprising how closely I've unknowingly imitated that sentence in the past!

It also led me to check the provenance of that quote (sorry, old habit) and to thereby find another beauty...

Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth more than ruin more even than death. Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. Thought looks into the pit of hell and is not afraid. Thought is great and swift and free, the light of the world, and the chief glory of man.

The last is the great beauty and endless pleasure of trying out ideas, just playing with your mind. It's where the arts and sciences become indistinguishable.

It simply doesn't matter whether the ideas toyed with are right or wrong, it's the act of toying, the play, the flexing of certain cognitive muscles which provides the value, if for no other reason than exercising an ability keeps it from atrophying.

For example, reading your entry I had the wonderful idea of there being wrinkles in the fabric of reality, and black holes being artifacts of these cosmic fault lines... which in my mind were then outlined as an image of a Mandelbrot set. It's utterly wrong, of course, in so many ways... not-even-wrong, actually... but one never knows what other ideas might be spurred by such playing around.

This is one of those numerous topics that gets thrown up into a conversation by Creationists or science-deniers, but usually gets dismissed rather than discussed, that science is just about guesses. But in truth, the actual act of performing science has a huge great component of creativity: being able to see the world differently, even just for a startling moment, than any other person previously.

Of course, one must never fail prey to the narcissism which would then cause the sufferer to assume that, just because they can think it, that makes it possible, plausible or true. The rest of the scientific method steps in there to sort the wheat from the chaff, but in terms of how the process begins, discovery is necessarily about subverting what was previously held to be true through employing sheer imagination.
"a reprehensible human being"
Beliefs are, by definition, things we don't know to be true.
Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:39 am

Nicely put.
Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:19 am
Previous
 [ 146 posts ] 
Return to Science & Mathematics