where else can you find us?

The League of Reason still has some social media accounts! You can find us on Facebook or on Twitter for some interesting links and things.

Is a human zygote a human (not person, cladistically human)

[ 41 posts ] 
Is a human zygote a human (not person, cladistically human)
Grumpy SantaPosts: 230Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:27 pm Gender: Male

Post Re: Is a human zygote a human.

Nesslig20 wrote:
I agree, it depends, what do you mean by "a human". I have explained the context of the meaning of "a human" when I say that the zygote is a human. I don't mean to say it is a person, nor "a human" in any other context. Just cladistics, clade hominina. Look it up.

And this doesn't give the anti-abortion any ammunition. In fact it makes their line "it is human!! (while citing biology textbooks)" just metaphorically like blank bullets. Because human (in the context that I am saying) doesn't mean person and it doesn't mean it has rights and it doesn't mean it justifies that we can force a women to remain pregnant. So the point that it is biologically a human with respect to the issue of abortion is moot.

So truly then it's all about definition. By your definition (see below) the zygote of a human most definitely qualifies as human while it is not yet a "person". If the title was "Is a human zygote a person" instead of "a human" there would have been likely much less haggling over words. :) I was, in all honestly, in full agreement from a cladistic sense but looking at the particular question from a "person" sense, as I'm sure you know by now.

Humans are a subset of:

Eukaryotes, Ophisthokonts, Metazoans, Eumetazoans, Bilaterians, Deuterostomes, Chordates, Craniates, Vertebrates, Gnathostomes, Teleostomes, Sarcopterygians, Stegocephalians, Tetrapods, Anthracosaurs, Amniotes, Synapsids, Therapsids, Cynodonts, Mammals, Placentals, Primates, Haplorhines, Simians, Catarrhines, Hominoids, Hominids, Hominines and Hominins.

Too good to delete.
J. R. R. Tolkien was a Middle Earth Creationist.
Tue Sep 13, 2016 6:07 pm
Previous
 [ 41 posts ] 
Return to Science & Mathematics